Cage Phlem (oil) :~(((

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

2wheelNsanity

Cage Phlem (oil) :~(((

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Yesterday was my first time encountering cage plem (oil) on the road. I was traveling on a 45mph road and entered the left-hand turn lane, the light was red, and applied the brakes, then I saw a pool of oil. I let go of the front brake and went right over it. My back end checked out and I nearly lost control, barely stopping in time. As I'm waiting for the light to change I inspected my tires, sure enough there is oil all over them. When the light turned green, I gingerly acceleerated and turn and slowly went on a side road for the ride home, eventually it wore off. I am glad there wasn't a vehicle in front of me, otherwise I would have smashed it. So the lesson learned from this is I am going to pay better attention to cage phlem at intersections :D
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Good move laying off the brakes! The one time I have gone down was due to hitting a 6' X 15' patch of oil that leaked from trash cans onto a down hill left to right turn. And to make matters worse someone had tried to hose the oil off the road which only served to make it appear to be simple wet pavement I was riding into but in reality just enlarged the slick and made it more slippery than ice. After my 20 yard slide I could barely even stand up on it, never mind keep a bike upright on it.

Ever since then I am hyper-aware of any changes in the color of the pavement that might indicate a foreign substance on the road. And any time I do notice something I make sure not to use the front brake. One 20 yard slide is enough for me!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Yea, I learned to lay off the front brake from braking on the loose sandy and gravel dirt roads I ride. Once you lock up the front wheel you have no control, thats why I make sure my rear brake is working properly, all the time. In fact I plan on doing an upgrade for the rear brake ( http://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Racing- ... 6C412.aspx ) soon.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I've had the high performance rear brake shoes installed for about two months now. They do make a difference — not a huge one, but definitely an improvement. (It's hard to imagine anything not being an improvement over the Buddy's stock rear brake!) You'll still coast to a stop using the improved rear brake only, but you won't coast as far.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

:shock: Glad you are okay. I watch out like a hawk for that kind of crap from all the beaters I see around here. Really really glad you did not get hurt.
96 Decibel Freaks
chas

Re: Cage Phlem (oil) :~(((

Post by chas »

2wheelNsanity wrote:Yesterday was my first time encountering cage plem (oil) on the road. I was traveling on a 45mph road and entered the left-hand turn lane, the light was red, and applied the brakes, then I saw a pool of oil. I let go of the front brake and went right over it. My back end checked out and I nearly lost control, barely stopping in time. As I'm waiting for the light to change I inspected my tires, sure enough there is oil all over them. When the light turned green, I gingerly acceleerated and turn and slowly went on a side road for the ride home, eventually it wore off. I am glad there wasn't a vehicle in front of me, otherwise I would have smashed it. So the lesson learned from this is I am going to pay better attention to cage phlem at intersections :D
Still might want to give your tires a once-over with some Dawn dishsoap or (I've heard it works well but never tried it) some Comet to make sure that grease is all cut through. Much better alternative to finding out the hard way that there is still oil on your wheels.