Opinions on first scooter for my daughter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kary

Opinions on first scooter for my daughter

Post by kary »

Hello All
I am new here and looking for opinions on a scooter for my 18 year old daughter. She has her motorcycle license. She is 5' 3" and I am looking for a scooter for her to commute to work with. Her commute this summer is about 5 miles with a highest speed limit of 45 mph.
I am looking at getting her either a new Buddy 125 which is about $2600 or a leftover 2009 Sym Fiddle II 125 which I can get for about $1900. She likes both of them.
My question is has anyone here ridden both and have any opinion on which one would be better for her. I like both and the SYM has more storage and is less expensive. The Buddy feels sportier.
Thank You in advance
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

If you go with anything, I would recommend starting with a 150 as a starter. There is a little safety having slightly more power than needed.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

spr0k3t wrote:If you go with anything, I would recommend starting with a 150 as a starter. There is a little safety having slightly more power than needed.
I've never ridden a Sym Fiddle II 125, but I think the power available from a Buddy 125 is more than sufficient to safely navigate most urban situations.
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

Why aren't you considering a used scooter on craigslist?
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

the buddy is worth the extra cash imo. great community of riders, fun scooter, lots of punch for a 125
Riding is riding
kary

craigslist

Post by kary »

velobuff wrote:Why aren't you considering a used scooter on craigslist?
I have been looking at craigslist, but in my area I am not seeing any deals that are tempting. I am waiting for a call back on a 2009 Buddy 150
Witch

Post by Witch »

If everything else was pretty equal, I would go for the Buddy.

Sym makes good scoots, but their parts availability is sketchy sometimes. They were taken over by Lance in the US, and it hasn't been the smoothest transition. For a first scoot, I personally would go with the Buddy, as Genuine has a very well established network, and parts are generally much easier to get.

Plus, you can always add more storage to a Buddy. Front or rear racks, a case on the back, a basket on the front...
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I'm 208lbs and have a Buddy 125, I can get to 62mph. That's enough for me when I go to work or ride in the city. If there is country riding I use my larger scooter (171cc).
velobuff

Re: craigslist

Post by velobuff »

kary wrote:
velobuff wrote:Why aren't you considering a used scooter on craigslist?
I have been looking at craigslist, but in my area I am not seeing any deals that are tempting. I am waiting for a call back on a 2009 Buddy 150
I'll tell you a little secret. If you go in person, kick the tires, ask questions, ride the scooter, take pictures, etc. and show real interest in it the seller will be FAR more likely to give you a great deal on the scoot vs. just randomly emailing someone to see if they'd go any lower than whats listed in their ad.

I've bought and sold several scooters on CraigsList for far lower (selling and buying) than what the asking prices were.

Yes, there are people that are unrealistic in their asking prices and won't budge but there are some intelligent people that know that something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it (when it comes to selling things).

Try it - Go look at a scoot. Take pics, etc. thank them for their time. Then go home and do some research (what maintenance is required, KBB trade-in/retail values, etc) and email them an offer the next day. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

I agree with Velo. I sold my smallframe for less than I would have agreed to in e-mail or over the phone because the guy was really into vintage vespas and we shared that common passion and interest. It wasn't just transportation for him but a lifestyle.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Agreed. Plus, you never know, someone from MB may have your next scooter!

It's happened 3x in my circle already, once to me (Thanks Velobuff!).

the Buddy probably has better dealer support right now, and there are a lot of them around. The Fiddle looks decent enough and reviews well, but I have never seen one firsthand.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

She's 5'3"...the Buddy- hands down. It has much better (i.e. lower) seat height and weighs less. Good for beginning rider of smaller stature. A new rider, especially, has to be able to control the bike. The 125 will give her all the umph she needs for less money. (Do not buy a 50 cc. -she'll be bored in a week.)There are some good buys out there used but unless you're helping her maintain the bike I'd go new (speaker as a father of two girls and grandfather of one). The two year warranty is excellent peace of mind IMHO for you both.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

Fiddle 125 is a better bargain....well worth the 35% savings ($700.00)....SYM parts are readily available...great 1st scooter but, hey she is young and could change her mind on scootering
Last edited by hardd1 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
amy

Post by amy »

Hiya!

I see you are in NY. Is she riding in Manhattan or somewhere outside of the city? Either way, those roads are dreadful and the drivers as fast as Atlanta's, so get her a full face helmet and safety gear (at least gloves), regardless of how hot it is.

Onward...
I'm a girl, am 5'2" and 130lbs. I live in midtown Atlanta where speeds are 35-45 mph and traffic is ALWAYS medium to heavy with mostly 1-2 lane streets and notoriously bad left hand turns. I, too, commute about 5 miles to work.

I own a 2009 Buddy 125 and it is perfect for these conditions. I have read that the Fiddle is not very fast for a 125, and fast IS important for being able to negotiate traffic. The Buddy goes from 0-30 FAST when you want it to.

It is an incredibly reliable scooter, easy to work on, and c-u-t-e CUTE to boot (the Fiddle - not so cute and let us not kid ourselves, for an 18 year old "cute" is important). Plus, it has a phone charger, roomy under seat storage, and a FANTASTIC horn that is louder than most car horns. Its probably my favorite technical feature. Omg. I love it.

I rode my Buddy approx. 600 miles round trip from Atlanta to Nashville and it was fantastic! As a matter of fact I am taking it to Boston and NYC this summer and feel confident and safe riding it in those two cities as well.

The important thing is for HER to feel comfy on it, regardless of my opinion.
:|

That being said, are two informative reviews:

Buddy: http://www.justgottascoot.com/buddy.htm
Fiddle http://www.justgottascoot.com/symfiddle2.htm
kary

She made her decision

Post by kary »

I took my daughter to the scooter dealer today to look at the scooters and see how she feels. She was more comfortable on the SYM Fiddle II and liked the seat more than that of the buddy. We put down our deposit on a white Fiddle II which should be ready to pick up on Thursday. At this point she is very excited.
We live in the northern suburbs of NYC and she is looking forward to riding it around this summer. I took my son and daughter to the motorcycle safety class memorial day weekend. She has a nice modular helmet and gloves and jacket.
Thanks for all the advice. I will give an update once she rides it home.
kary

Update on Fiddle Ii

Post by kary »

We picked up my daughters scooter last Friday. I rode it home from the dealer. It is a nice little scooter. She has been riding it everywhere and loves it. A friend of mine came over on his scooter today and we all went for a ride. She was so excited to go riding with us and did really well. I will say that it is a very good scooter for her.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

nice! I don't know much about the Fiddle, but the 2 reviews I found online were positive, and other than lots of washing, white is an awesome color.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Those are cute scooters. You'll need to post a picture with her on her scooter here in the thread. :)
KABarash

Re: Update on Fiddle Ii

Post by KABarash »

kary wrote:We picked up my daughters scooter last Friday. I rode it home from the dealer. It is a nice little scooter. She has been riding it everywhere and loves it. A friend of mine came over on his scooter today and we all went for a ride. She was so excited to go riding with us and did really well. I will say that it is a very good scooter for her.
Mazel Tov.....
Now pics are required!
Good on you for having her take the MSF class, most here will say that that's the best safety accessory one could buy.
I live and ride in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, Pa 'Death Triangle' and although I took my MSF training in the late 1970's I rely on that knowledge every day! (Geeeze, I guess a refresher may be in order.)
I grew up on Long Island and have actually ridden my Buddy from here to there and even one summer had my Met there to use when visiting I can not fathom what it has become there since I left in the 80's More importantly being a young rider there without training.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

Congratulations on your scooter purchase :clap:
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
tortoise

Re: She made her decision

Post by tortoise »

kary wrote:put down our deposit on a white Fiddle II
Fiddle II 125 forum.
kary

pictures

Post by kary »

I will post a picture later this week. Happy. Fourth of July to all.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hardd1 wrote:Fiddle 125 is a better bargain....well worth the 35% savings ($700.00)....SYM parts are readily available...great 1st scooter but, hey she is young and could change her mind on scootering
well, can't really put a price on more fun to ride. and the buddy is, without doubt. should a person choose to ride it as it can be rode
Riding is riding
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Here's an interesting site where you can compare the Fiddle to the 2009 Buddy 125. Just go to the bottom of the page and select from the drop down.
kary

A Picture of her on her scooter

Post by kary »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is my daughter getting ready to ride to the supermarket today.
The key lime pie she made was delicious.
She is riding her scooter everywhere.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Awesome! I'll bet she has a silly grin under that helmet.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Boots, Helmet, Long Pants, Textile jacket, Gloves, The works!

Good job gearing up :D

Far too many women in my neck of the woods ride without the correct gear, Not sure why.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Is that a textile jacket? Looks like a jean jacket to me.

You might want to look in to getting her a textile jacket if not, so she has the armored shoulder and back protection. :) I was very grateful for it in my crash back in 2009.

Nice pix! :D
kary

Jacket

Post by kary »

Thanks for the comments. We ordered her a nice textile jacket from motorcycle superstore. It should be here by Monday. She did not like the jackets at the scooter dealer or at a couple of motorcycle dealers we looked at. The only other jacket she liked was actually a Harley Davidson jacket which she wont wear on the scooter.
I have allowed her to ride locally with all her other gear and a regular jacket until her riding jacket comes in.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

They have some pretty good deals (Motorcycle Superstore). I've purchased a jacket from them in the past, I do believe.
DaBinChe

Post by DaBinChe »

michelle_7728 wrote:Is that a textile jacket? Looks like a jean jacket to me.

You might want to look in to getting her a textile jacket if not, so she has the armored shoulder and back protection. :) I was very grateful for it in my crash back in 2009.

I was told "because they want to look cute"..this coming from a 50 something woman
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

DaBinChe wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:Is that a textile jacket? Looks like a jean jacket to me.

I was told "because they want to look cute"..this coming from a 50 something woman
Can you clarify what you meant by your post? Perhaps I'm just being dense tonight... :?:
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

michelle_7728 wrote:Can you clarify what you meant by your post? Perhaps I'm just being dense tonight... :?:
Nah, it's not you. I didn't quite catch the meaning either. Or maybe both of us are dense.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I think it was a response to my post wondering why so many women ride without gear.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

i want to look cute too...that's why i invested time and money in researching, finding and buying attractive gear...

(Rhetorical response to all those women who don't wear gear)
kitty

Post by kitty »

JohnKiniston wrote: Far too many women in my neck of the woods ride without the correct gear, Not sure why.
As I was merging into the circle earlier today two motorcycles passed, first one with a woman wearing a tank top and jeans, no gear, second was a guy with a woman on the back, both again in no gear.

I will admit that I'm nowhere near as geared up as I should be, but at least I have a helmet and gloves on. Always jeans and long sleeves, but I've been naughty and pushed the sleeves up :oops: It's just so damn HOT lately.
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I would estimate 75% of the riders in my area don't wear any gear (other than a helmet - by law). It doesn't matter if they're on a Harley, a sportbike, or a scooter. And the helmets most of the Harley riders wear aren't really helmets. At least the Harley riders are occasionally in boots. But I suspect that decision is more about image than protection.
kary

gear

Post by kary »

I have to say, my daughter is concerned about safety and has picked out gear that she feels is attractive as well as safe. The biggest issue the last week has been the heat. I am a new rider also and wear my gear while riding. Most of the other riders we see have been wearing shorts and tshirts lately. I just hope she continues to wear her gear.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

k1dude wrote:I would estimate 75% of the riders in my area don't wear any gear (other than a helmet - by law). It doesn't matter if they're on a Harley, a sportbike, or a scooter. And the helmets most of the Harley riders wear aren't really helmets. At least the Harley riders are occasionally in boots. But I suspect that decision is more about image than protection.
Ditto where I live. :roll:
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

michelle_7728 wrote:
k1dude wrote:I would estimate 75% of the riders in my area don't wear any gear (other than a helmet - by law). It doesn't matter if they're on a Harley, a sportbike, or a scooter. And the helmets most of the Harley riders wear aren't really helmets. At least the Harley riders are occasionally in boots. But I suspect that decision is more about image than protection.
Ditto where I live. :roll:
Same here.
Most dont even wear a helmet.
Unless they are military ofcourse, then they have too along with a safty vest.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

JohnKiniston wrote:I think it was a response to my post wondering why so many women ride without gear.
From what I see more men who ride without gear than women. There were a few insane males in Lake Geneva during Amerivespa riding with shorts and sunglasses - that's it, not even flip flops on their bare feet. I've seen more males in flip flops than females though I'll have to admit many of them were riding Harleys.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I won't and WILL NOT (& etc) be a 'Gear Nazi' and preach gear.
For the first year and a half of riding the buddy all I wore was a helmet and whatever was necessary for the weather.
What I just don't 'get' is those I see around, it's usually sport bike riders, wearing armored jackets but NO helmet......

It was damned HOT this past weekend, I had decided not to wear my riding jacket (I carried it with me however) and hi-tops because of this, I laughed at myself, I felt like some sort of 'rebel' like I was running with scissors, or going swimming after eating without waiting (what ever the 'wives tale' there is about) The worse thing my son told me about was my choice of foot wear, although not sandals, low canvas sneakers without socks, that was my biggest mistake!
Nullius in verba
Tocsik

Re: gear

Post by Tocsik »

kary wrote:I have to say, my daughter is concerned about safety and has picked out gear that she feels is attractive as well as safe. The biggest issue the last week has been the heat. I am a new rider also and wear my gear while riding. Most of the other riders we see have been wearing shorts and tshirts lately. I just hope she continues to wear her gear.
I'm with you there.
I have made a run to Blockbuster maybe twice without a helmet and a couple times rode around my area without the helmet so I could hear the scooter better (I was listening for abnormal sounds from the CVT). Those few times without a helmet were not comfortable. Both from my concern about brain trauma and just the overall wind noise.
When it's really hot, I keep the jacket in the pet carrier and sometimes don't wear gloves, too.
But, I just can't go without a helmet, jeans and hiking boots. Whenever I ride without gear, I end up seeing a post on MB from someone who was just in an accident and is extolling the virtues of wearing gear. Then, I'm back in all my gear again. Until the next time it's over 90 degrees.

You really don't need to wear any protective gear except for the one time something happens. We just don't know when that could be.
Similar to the fact that you don't need a parachute to skydive. You need a parachute to skydive twice.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Sweet, just saw this thread. Good gear, good scoot, happy times! GREAT job dad! You did good. My daughter is 15 and looking.

he has both feet on the ground (barely) so all is good.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
skully93

Re: gear

Post by skully93 »

Tocsik wrote:
kary wrote:I have to say, my daughter is concerned about safety and has picked out gear that she feels is attractive as well as safe. The biggest issue the last week has been the heat. I am a new rider also and wear my gear while riding. Most of the other riders we see have been wearing shorts and tshirts lately. I just hope she continues to wear her gear.
I'm with you there.
I have made a run to Blockbuster maybe twice without a helmet and a couple times rode around my area without the helmet so I could hear the scooter better (I was listening for abnormal sounds from the CVT). Those few times without a helmet were not comfortable. Both from my concern about brain trauma and just the overall wind noise.
When it's really hot, I keep the jacket in the pet carrier and sometimes don't wear gloves, too.
But, I just can't go without a helmet, jeans and hiking boots. Whenever I ride without gear, I end up seeing a post on MB from someone who was just in an accident and is extolling the virtues of wearing gear. Then, I'm back in all my gear again. Until the next time it's over 90 degrees.

You really don't need to wear any protective gear except for the one time something happens. We just don't know when that could be.
Similar to the fact that you don't need a parachute to skydive. You need a parachute to skydive twice.

I have been known to carry my jacket in the top case or leave it at home for my short work commute. ALWAYS helmet and gloves. I did also feel like a rebel in shorts once with just my helmet/gloves/riding shoes, but I have vowed not to make a habit of it. Especially with all the new ink on my leg, I'd hate to scrape it all off!
kitty

Post by kitty »

KABarash wrote:The worse thing my son told me about was my choice of foot wear, although not sandals, low canvas sneakers without socks, that was my biggest mistake!
I have close to 40 pairs of Vans and they're all I've ever worn on my Stella.
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

kitty wrote:
KABarash wrote:The worse thing my son told me about was my choice of foot wear, although not sandals, low canvas sneakers without socks, that was my biggest mistake!
My typical 'riding shoes' has been a pair of Vans sk8 hi for the last couple years.
I've always been concerned with ankle support as I have issues with weak ankles from several breaks/strains/sprains & etc over the years.
My son rides a sport bike and will never ride in anything lighter than combat boots. He and I have always had 'do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do' arguments over proper gear. Where as I am usually the lax one..... :oops:

When I took the MSF class a few years ago, I showed up wearing a pair of many-year-old jungle style combat boots, the instructor felt they were not sufficient for proper support. The next day I wore 'low-ankle' hiking boots which posed another issue for me as they were too stiff.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kitty wrote:
I'm very glad I don't wear Vans when I ride. These are my boots after going down at 25mph or so in a relatively minor spill:

If you want to see something really graphic, I could post a link to the image of what happened to Renae from Pride of Cleveland Scooters. It's one of the most often told stories about riding and footwear. Here's POC Phil's description of what happened (at about 35mph):
As the scooter and her foot skidded along the road it acted like a grinder and took first the laces from her converse running shoes, then the tongue of the shoe, then her sock, then her skin, then the meat on her foot and it ended up sanding her foot bones clean and basically grinding her two smallest toes into nothing.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Thanks, for that image. Now i'm not sure that i want to finish lunch.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

ericalm wrote:If you want to see something really graphic, I could post a link to the image of what happened to Renae from Pride of Cleveland Scooters. It's one of the most often told stories about riding and footwear. Here's POC Phil's description of what happened (at about 35mph):
As the scooter and her foot skidded along the road it acted like a grinder and took first the laces from her converse running shoes, then the tongue of the shoe, then her sock, then her skin, then the meat on her foot and it ended up sanding her foot bones clean and basically grinding her two smallest toes into nothing.
Ironic you should mention that...I was doing a search for that a couple of days ago, and saw that the picture had been deleted from the link you (I think) quoted....