Narrowly avoided my first drop

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

uklemond

Narrowly avoided my first drop

Post by uklemond »

So i was on the buddy coming to the final leg of my commute into Boston. Its hacking it down with rain and the end is in sight.

Im in the middle lane of three lanes. Left one to turn left, my lane to go straight and the right lane to go straight or turn right.

Halfway across the intersection some idiot cab driver pulls a sharp turn from the right hand lane across all three lanes to turn left right in from of me. I pulled tight on both brakes, however i must have slightly turned the wheel in the excitement, and felt the from wheel slip out on me. thankfully i was only going about 5 or so miles an hour so i managed to put my foot down to help prevent hitting the deck. Any faster and i would have been down for sure.

Cab driver, both unconcerned or even aware of the incident went merrily on his way.

A few choice rude words went his direction and i continued on my commute.

So my first close call and what a fright it was. Trouble is there is nothing i could have done about it, he just did not see me even though i was there. Idiot
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Glad you made it!

After a few such experiences, you calculate it into every intersection.

I'm convinced that with scoots and motorcycles, there should be some kind of el cheapo bike that you have to ride for 1 month. At the end of the month you have to throw it down or jump off before it throttles into a wall at 5-10mph, just to get it out of the way.

Seems like 99% of people have a couple minor spills at some point.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

That was a close one. I remember years back when a cab in L.A. almost side swiped me into a wall. Honking made no difference as he looked tottaly oblivious to me being on his left on the 10 freeway. I chose not to hunt him down cos confrontation isn't my thing... unless I was hit...
Dooglas

Re: Narrowly avoided my first drop

Post by Dooglas »

uklemond wrote:Halfway across the intersection some idiot cab driver pulls a sharp turn from the right hand lane across all three lanes to turn left right in from of me......
So my first close call and what a fright it was. Trouble is there is nothing i could have done about it, he just did not SEE me even though i was there.
What makes you think he even looked :( ? It's a jungle out there and the other drivers incompetence really doesn't help. Glad you are okay.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

:evil: My current opinion of my fellow citizenry is pretty much at an all-time low. My guess is that the cab driver didn't even look. It's a free-for-all out there. It really does not matter what you ride or drive. No one gives a Sh!t. I'm really glad you didn't drop you scooter, or worse. I love scootering. Love it... So much more than driving. But the idiot factor. OMG. I wonder if we shouldn't all be taking the driving test every four years to keep our driving privileges. No one hates the inconvenience of the DMV more than me, but it if made it safer and it it actually kept crappy drivers off the road or in check I would be all for it.
96 Decibel Freaks
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

Glad you're ok...too scary!!

My first near-miss was yesterday morning. I was in the center lane of three and the driver on my left was too busy texting to notice me (in my bright pink helmet and jacket) next to her. She moved over into my lane with no warning at all. It was stop and go traffic with cars close in front and behind me, and we had just started moving...maybe 40-50 ft. Thank goodness the bus lane on the right was empty and I was able to swerve to avoid getting hit. If there had been a car or bus on my right, I would have been out of luck as I was about even with her front passenger door when she started moving over and there would have been absolutely nowhere else to go but down.

Idiot drivers are a given and here to stay. "Swerve" practice in the MSF course saved me!
Scooting is good for the soul....

theflash784

Narrowary avoided my first drop

Post by theflash784 »

I had a similar incident with a box truck last Sunday. I was heading along a 5 lane, 40 MPH road, in the right through lane waiting for the right turn lane to begin as I was turning right to make one of our famous Michigan lefts. A box van in the left through lane decide he also needed to turn right and moved over into my lane. I was able to break before he sideswiped me, nearly coming to a stop. I don't think he saw me at all. I hit the horn once he was ahead of me but I have no way of knowing if it registered with him. I went into the turn around lane after our right turn and he continued straight.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

OMG - Just be careful all and drive defensibly!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

today a car pulled out from a backed up left hand turn lane right into my path and almost side swiped me

if you remember almost is a good thing it helps a lot with riding and attitude :)

all this and more will happen again and again....
Riding is riding
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Thank God you are safe.

We have to remain paranoid and look out for ourselves because it's doubtful that the public will ever be educated to look out for us. I believe the old saying is "it's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

I have a co-worker who only lives about a dozen blocks at most from our workplace and has been complaining because his fuel-efficient Honda car is having mechanical trouble so he's been forced to drive his hulking 4-door long bed pickup to work. It's eating him out of house and home. I suggested that given the shortness of his commute, he might consider a bicycle or a 50cc scoot.

He said no way would he expose himself to that kind of danger. He thinks I'm nuts because I ride my MC a 50-mi. round trip just about every day.

I dunno. Maybe I am.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

nah you're not nuts. you're brave in a land where most only talk like they are, or pretend they are
Riding is riding
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

Is there a reason he can't walk?
TVB

Post by TVB »

heatherkay wrote:Is there a reason he can't walk?
Sounds like insufficient electrical activity in the brain to get a signal all the way to his legs. A sadly common affliction. :)
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

TVB wrote:
heatherkay wrote:Is there a reason he can't walk?
Sounds like insufficient electrical activity in the brain to get a signal all the way to his legs. A sadly common affliction. :)
In laymen terms.. laziness.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

No, he's not particularly energetic.
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

I ride in Boston too. The thing that has kept me safe so far is to assume that the cars, especially the cabs, around you might do something stupid at any given given time and be ready for them! Not everyone believes in turn signals, so give yourself space to swerve.
Mutt the Hoople

Friday afternoon I was sitting in a traffic jam because of an accident. I had about 8 feet in front of me... Wanted to make sure the car in front of me could see me. Suddenly the guy on my left (yapping on cellphone decided to take that space at the same time woman to my right (Texting) decided SHE wanted the same space. Which took my safety cushion and from a dead stop no room to rev it a bit and swerve under power. I threw that GTV at a 90 degree angle to my right, (the fear of body damage on my new scooter apparently gave me almost super human strength) and the because of the odd angle it lost its balance (oh oh) but I caught it ... Did not drop it ( whew! Yay) but grabbed the left grip at a bad angle ( oh sh!t) and broke my wrist... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: mama!!!!!

Wrapped like a semi-mummy and grounded for 6-8 weeks. Damn damn damn damn damn. I only had it since Wednesday. I can't even take Manuel out now... Sniffle.
96 Decibel Freaks
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

:shock:

So sorry to hear that!...but glad to hear that you and your bike are otherwise okay.

Geez! :roll:
Mutt the Hoople

It could have been a lot worse. You would think that while we were all parked there staring at an accident... That SEEING an accident, with injuries might remind people to be careful??? One might think that. But no, I guess not.
96 Decibel Freaks
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

[quote="Mutt the Hoople"Did not drop it ( whew! Yay) but grabbed the left grip at a bad angle ( oh sh!t) and broke my wrist... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: mama!!!!!

Wrapped like a semi-mummy and grounded for 6-8 weeks. Damn damn damn damn damn. I only had it since Wednesday. I can't even take Manuel out now... Sniffle.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, but it could have been worst. I hope you recover quickly. I scraped up my elbow Friday evening. I had not hurt myself on a bike since 1987, and I don't remember it hurting or lasting quite this long last time.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Aw, dang, Mutt!!

Well, be sure to start up your scoots every few days until you can ride again :cry: :cry: :cry:
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Mutt the Hoople

PeteH wrote:Aw, dang, Mutt!!

Well, be sure to start up your scoots every few days until you can ride again :cry: :cry: :cry:
I've been doing that but thanks for the reminder. They look so lonely. The swelling has come down a lot so at least it's not as painful. More distressing is when I begged some of my friends to PLEASE not use their cell phones while driving, they tell ME I should not be riding. Hmmmm. One thing is legal, the other isn't. One friend is so arrogant about it and gets so defensive about her right to talk and drive that she is now pretty much an ex-friend. And we were having these conversations long before I got a scooter. Seeing too many pedestrians in cross walks getting "bumped" and seeing too many yappers driving over curbs sort of makes one sit up and take notice.
96 Decibel Freaks