My new seat cover what do u think.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

zuki

Post by zuki »

I decided I wanted to put a seat cover on my buddy's seat, it is a solid black seat. I commute to work everyday and the bike sits out in the sun all day. So when I go out to get on it to ride home the seat really hot. I made this cover out of some material I found at a local shop, have about $6 on the material, and I didn't want it permanent so I bought some elastic so it will come on and off easy. The elastic was $2 so I have less then $10 in it. Not sure how well it will hold up. Anyways let me know what you think about it good or bad.

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's awesome!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

^Agreed. and for $10 who cares if it lasts. make one every season. Nice work on it.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Nicely done. :)
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

Looks great! Nice job.
zuki

Post by zuki »

Thanks guys , bigbropgo you are right as long as it will last the few months of summer it is well worth the $10. It was a little bit of a pain to make but the first one always a little harder to do.
zuki

Post by zuki »

Here is a pic under the seat, I made it so the little rubber gasket still seals up .

Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Looks great! Nice finish.
theflash784

Post by theflash784 »

Great job! I really like the fabric you used.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Nicely done. You could get a little side business with that skill.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
skully93

Post by skully93 »

nice! cheekyseats does great stuff, and if i had any skill at all I might too. Congrats on making something cool that you wanted!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Very nice!
You could make some cash on the side if you ever wanted to sell on here. It's been done in the past. That's how I got my Texas flag seat cover for my Buddy. And no one would expect it to be only $10. I paid $45, plus shipping (USP-United States Parcel). Which is cheap for a hand- made cover.

Anywho, looks nice! Job well done...
zuki

Post by zuki »

skully93 wrote:nice! cheekyseats does great stuff, and if i had any skill at all I might too. Congrats on making something cool that you wanted!
Yeah cheekyseats is where I got the idea. I was looking for a cover but really didn't want to spend the $40 + they are asking. I am sure there's are better made but mine will work fine for me.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Super nice job :D . I will have to give it a shot, cuz even the the brown seat gets mega hot in 100+ heat.
zuki

Post by zuki »

2wheelNsanity its not to hard to do I just had to take it off and on several times just to make sure it wasn't to long or short. Just take your time with it.
I got to try the cover out today after work much better wasn't near as hot.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Seat and fabric choice looks great! Looks great the way you made it fit the bottom too.

Do you leave it on all the time or take it off when you ride?
Yorkiemom

AWESOME!!!

Post by Yorkiemom »

Sweet...now I want a basketball one for my tangerine buddy. Or a Route 66 motif...that would be awesome too! :D
zuki

Post by zuki »

MYSCTR wrote:Seat and fabric choice looks great! Looks great the way you made it fit the bottom too.

Do you leave it on all the time or take it off when you ride?
Thanks,well so far I just leave it on there all the time, only takes a second to take off I will probably take it off when there is a chance for rain when I drive it to work, it stays in the garage at home.
zuki

Re: AWESOME!!!

Post by zuki »

Yorkiemom wrote:Sweet...now I want a basketball one for my tangerine buddy. Or a Route 66 motif...that would be awesome too! :D
I was really looking for a St. Louis Cardinals Print but no luck in the material I was wanting to use. I found this print and thought that it would look pretty good,I did find a lot of other prints but they were dark colors and really wouldn't have help the whole hot seat issue.
Yorkiemom

Post by Yorkiemom »

zuki wrote:
Yorkiemom wrote:Sweet...now I want a basketball one for my tangerine buddy. Or a Route 66 motif...that would be awesome too! :D
I was really looking for a St. Louis Cardinals Print but no luck in the material I was wanting to use. I found this print and thought that it would look pretty good,I did find a lot of other prints but they were dark colors and really wouldn't have help the whole hot seat issue.
I just noticed you are also in Springfield! I never see any other Buddies. Perhaps I could meet up with you one day and take a look at your cover...take a couple of close up pics...then hand them over to my mom-the seamstress in my family. :D I would love to have a cover for my seat. It looks like you have two Buddies...where do you live?...ride? I assume Ozark Powersports is your dealer?

Good to see a local...I will be looking for you!
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

very cool, Looks great!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
zuki

Post by zuki »

Yorkiemom wrote:
zuki wrote:
I just noticed you are also in Springfield! I never see any other Buddies. Perhaps I could meet up with you one day and take a look at your cover...take a couple of close up pics...then hand them over to my mom-the seamstress in my family. :D I would love to have a cover for my seat. It looks like you have two Buddies...where do you live?...ride? I assume Ozark Powersports is your dealer?

I live on the north side of Springfield, I haven't had my buddies very long. I started out with a 125 Zuma then I got a kymco super 8, sold both of them and went to a blur 220. Traded it for a Yamaha majesty 400. A buddy at work talked me out of my Majesty so I bought a newer Harley 1200 sportster. I really hated to leave my Sportster sit outside all day so I found the little black buddy 50 just to commute to work, but the 50 was just a little slow for me to ride to work so I picked up a used 125 buddy I just bought it last week. And yes ozarks power sports is the dealer I use, Tim's a great guy. Are you a part of Twisty riders club here in Springfield?
SoCalScooter

Post by SoCalScooter »

zuki wrote:
Yorkiemom wrote:
zuki wrote: I was really looking for a St. Louis Cardinals Print but no luck in the material I was wanting to use. I found this print and thought that it would look pretty good,I did find a lot of other prints but they were dark colors and really wouldn't have help the whole hot seat issue.

I live on the north side of Springfield, I haven't had my buddies very long. I started out with a 125 Zuma then I got a kymco super 8, sold both of them and went to a blur 220. Traded it for a Yamaha majesty 400. A buddy at work talked me out of my Majesty so I bought a newer Harley 1200 sportster. I really hated to leave my Sportster sit outside all day so I found the little black buddy 50 just to commute to work, but the 50 was just a little slow for me to ride to work so I picked up a used 125 buddy I just bought it last week. And yes ozarks power sports is the dealer I use, Tim's a great guy. Are you a part of Twisty riders club here in Springfield?
Holy Crap! You must know the people at the DMV on a first name basis!

I love the cover, and bigbropgo is right - for $10 make a new one each year (or season for that matter!)

Off topic - what were your impressions of the Super 8 vs. the Zuma vs. the Buddy?
Yorkiemom

Post by Yorkiemom »

zuki wrote:
Yorkiemom wrote:
zuki wrote: I was really looking for a St. Louis Cardinals Print but no luck in the material I was wanting to use. I found this print and thought that it would look pretty good,I did find a lot of other prints but they were dark colors and really wouldn't have help the whole hot seat issue.

I am not familiar with the Twisty riders club. Tell me more? All scooters? When/where do they meet? I belong to the local Women on Wheels chapter, as I also ride a touring motorcycle. And I completely agree about Tim at OP'sports. I have told many locals about him and about the Buddy...don't have any idea how many of those actually paid off for him, but I certainly like him and how he deals with people/bikes.
zuki

Post by zuki »

[/quote] SoCalScooter
Off topic - what were your impressions of the Super 8 vs. the Zuma vs. the Buddy?[/quote]

I think the buddy 125 is the fastest from 0-30 the super 8 not far behind much faster then the zuma, the super 8 was a smooth ride with the bigger tires but did have some vibrations from the engine at high speeds. The zuma has the poorest performance but has the best quality smoothest riding as in no vibrations, throttle is smoother just overall better built scooter in my opinion.But the zuma was my least favorite to ride just wasn't as "fun" to ride as the buddy and the super 8 and the zuma was the tallest seat height,for a shorter guy like me I was having to tip toe unless I was sitting it the right spot. The zuma how ever is a fuel injected bike were the other 2 are Carbureted so the zuma has no kick starter for that back up if the battery is dead.I had sold the zuma to a buddy of mine at work and if its to hot outside it will not start for some reason, something to do with the fuel pump we are thinking. The buddy has no problem starting in the heat so far and the super 8 always started with no problems.The super 8 is a china made bike so I don't think it will have near the life of the buddy or the zuma that are made in Twain . For mpg the zuma got 89 the super 8 got in the 70s not real sure on the buddy yet. So over all I think the Buddy is the better over all bike, all 3 have there positive and negatives, and this is just my opinion.
zuki

Post by zuki »

Yorkiemom wrote:
zuki wrote:
Yorkiemom wrote: I just noticed you are also in Springfield! I never see any other Buddies. Perhaps I could meet up with you one day and take a look at your cover...take a couple of close up pics...then hand them over to my mom-the seamstress in my family. :D I would love to have a cover for my seat. It looks like you have two Buddies...where do you live?...ride? I assume Ozark Powersports is your dealer?

I am not familiar with the Twisty riders club. Tell me more? All scooters? When/where do they meet? I belong to the local Women on Wheels chapter, as I also ride a touring motorcycle. And I completely agree about Tim at OP'sports. I have told many locals about him and about the Buddy...don't have any idea how many of those actually paid off for him, but I certainly like him and how he deals with people/bikes.
The club hasn't really been doing much lately, the founder is no longer riding a scooter he has another club for old motorcycles. There are some of us trying to get it back up and going again. There was a few Thursday evening rides going on but the heat is keeping some from going.I just joined back up not very long ago as I didn't have a scooter for a while so I don't know very many of the few member yet. Go check it.
http://twistyriders.proboards.com/index.cgi

I go by chevylver on there
SoCalScooter

Post by SoCalScooter »

zuki wrote: I think the buddy 125 is the fastest from 0-30 the super 8 not far behind much faster then the zuma, the super 8 was a smooth ride with the bigger tires but did have some vibrations from the engine at high speeds. The zuma has the poorest performance but has the best quality smoothest riding as in no vibrations, throttle is smoother just overall better built scooter in my opinion.But the zuma was my least favorite to ride just wasn't as "fun" to ride as the buddy and the super 8 and the zuma was the tallest seat height,for a shorter guy like me I was having to tip toe unless I was sitting it the right spot. The zuma how ever is a fuel injected bike were the other 2 are Carbureted so the zuma has no kick starter for that back up if the battery is dead.I had sold the zuma to a buddy of mine at work and if its to hot outside it will not start for some reason, something to do with the fuel pump we are thinking. The buddy has no problem starting in the heat so far and the super 8 always started with no problems.The super 8 is a china made bike so I don't think it will have near the life of the buddy or the zuma that are made in Twain . For mpg the zuma got 89 the super 8 got in the 70s not real sure on the buddy yet. So over all I think the Buddy is the better over all bike, all 3 have there positive and negatives, and this is just my opinion.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion :) I was really tempted by a used Zuma that I saw on CL recently - but I was thinking for the price I could get a brand new Super 8... Maybe I just should save my pennies instead of adding more bikes to the stable!
Last edited by SoCalScooter on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Yorkiemom wrote:...don't have any idea how many of those actually paid off for him, but I certainly like him and how he deals with people/bikes.
We do to - especially the way he cleans out the back room on occasion! My St Tropez came from him - we made a day trip and picked it up... some 17,540 miles ago back late September 2009.

Great guy!
Yorkiemom

Post by Yorkiemom »

MYSCTR wrote:
Yorkiemom wrote:...don't have any idea how many of those actually paid off for him, but I certainly like him and how he deals with people/bikes.
We do to - especially the way he cleans out the back room on occasion! My St Tropez came from him - we made a day trip and picked it up... some 17,540 miles ago back late September 2009.

Great guy!
McKinney, TX...just passed through there (on four wheels with my dog) when going to visit my dad...lived in Texas most of my life. You really did make a road trip to pick up the scoot if you drove all the way from Texas. I hope my Buddy can hit such high mileage. :D I'm not sure if I can reasonably expect that from a 50cc 2 stroke, but time will tell...she's just about to hit 1700 after just over a year. It's been a great ride so far.
zuki

Post by zuki »

SoCalScooter wrote:
zuki wrote: I think the buddy 125 is the fastest from 0-30 the super 8 not far behind much faster then the zuma, the super 8 was a smooth ride with the bigger tires but did have some vibrations from the engine at high speeds. The zuma has the poorest performance but has the best quality smoothest riding as in no vibrations, throttle is smoother just overall better built scooter in my opinion.But the zuma was my least favorite to ride just wasn't as "fun" to ride as the buddy and the super 8 and the zuma was the tallest seat height,for a shorter guy like me I was having to tip toe unless I was sitting it the right spot. The zuma how ever is a fuel injected bike were the other 2 are Carbureted so the zuma has no kick starter for that back up if the battery is dead.I had sold the zuma to a buddy of mine at work and if its to hot outside it will not start for some reason, something to do with the fuel pump we are thinking. The buddy has no problem starting in the heat so far and the super 8 always started with no problems.The super 8 is a china made bike so I don't think it will have near the life of the buddy or the zuma that are made in Twain . For mpg the zuma got 89 the super 8 got in the 70s not real sure on the buddy yet. So over all I think the Buddy is the better over all bike, all 3 have there positive and negatives, and this is just my opinion.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion :) I was really tempted by a used Zuma that I saw on CL recently - but I was thinking for the price I could get a brand new Super 8... Maybe I just should save my pennies instead of adding more bikes to the stable!
Dont get me wrong the zuma is a good bike if you want more info on them check out this http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/index.php

The super 8 aren't to bad I just think the buddy is a better built scooter. Not all the kymcos are china made the "People's " scooters are twain made I guess they have different factory's.My dad bought a new Peoples 150 and it is a better quality,and built scooter,it rides better and the finish on the motor and bike are much better. I am just not crazy about the looks of the people scooters.
zuki

Post by zuki »

SoCalScooter The scooter I really liked if you want to stay with a smaller scoot is the 220 blur that was a sweet bike.It would leave my 400 majesty in the dust for the for 30-40mph after that is slowed down and the majesty was just warming up, the blur would still do 75mph by the speedo never did check it on the gps. The majesty is a really nice scooter that will do 3 digits on the speedo and not think twice. But the majesty is a big bike, most people don't realize what they are capable of doing, I had a lot of people ask why didnt you just buy a motorcycle.