Largest object you've ever collided with?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bucky119

Largest object you've ever collided with?

Post by bucky119 »

As the title suggest's....

Mine actually happened tonight that's why I thought of this topic.

I was cruising up and down the main street on my buddy at 11 at night, perfect night for a cool ride and no traffic to bother with. Speed limit on the main road is 35mph, I was doing a Buddy indicated of 40mph (more like 35mph). Suddenly 100ft in front of me I see this animal object on the side of the road creeping into the street. 50ft I notice its a raccoon because its directly in my lane, 30ft it prances into the left lane. Gladly I was approaching cautiously at this point...10ft away it turns around and decides it doesn't wanna cross and praces back, I was hard on both the back and front brake (almost to the point of skidding but not that hard...would've been a bad outcome haha) and I hit it going about 10mph. I couldn't tell where I hit it at but it had no problem running into bushes where it came from. (it was walking fine, just puzzled at what just happened haha)

Probably the scariest incident I've had on the buddy and wondered who else has hit something quite large...especially large since your on a scooter.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Late model E-Class Mercedes. Outcome was a little different. :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

the Earth
Riding is riding
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

JHScoot wrote:the Earth

:rofl:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

k1dude wrote:

And we have a winner!!!!

My meager (compared to *that*) offering:

1998 Chevrolet Suburban. Well, he collided with me. 6 months later it got sorted out enough to where I was able to get the full story why. Let's just say he's not going to be on the road doing that again anytime soon at all. And, I'm happy I bought the expensive gear that time.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've never hit anything substantial with my scooter.

The largest thing I've hit on two wheels was the groundhog I hit on my bicycle. Dusk, long grass on both sides of the sidewalk, and he tries to cross it just as I get too close to stop or swerve. The results were not pretty.

The largest thing that's hit my scooter was one of those pickups-on-steroids that you could carry a small car with. I was parked behind it on the ferry to Bois Blanc Island (near Mackinac). When we got to the island, the captain of the barge got in his truck, put it in reverse, and started backing up as I was putting on my helmet. I dragged the scoot back and yelled, but he scratched up the front fender. Asshole didn't even apologize, and tried to start a fight with me when I silently gave him the finger as I walked away.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

A Green June Beetle (Cotinis nitida) :D , I know its not very impressive, but at 55mph it stings. :roll: [/i]
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Nothing on my scoot, thank goodness. I *did* manage to make an arse out of myself on my bike once when I hit a bump coming over the curb while mounting a sidewalk and crashed into a pub. Low impact, so nothing more injured than my pride.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

A sparrow hit me in the helmet when I was going about 55. The right of passage into adult hood for the little fella didn't quite succeed... I call it that cos birds always seem, at the last moment, to fly past cars and such like they are saying, "Look at me, I flew past and narrowly avoided death"...
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Yep, me too, every time I land the Piper.
So far, crashing into a planet has been anti climatic.....the aircraft is still useable after the event.

Rob
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Nothing on the scooter sept for large dragon flies in the everglades.
On the bicycle a CTA bus, he swept out into the street as I was passing.
And I as they put it "made contact with the bus. No broken bones, really sore and a twisted classic Bianchi:{ I loved that bike....
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
easy

Post by easy »

I'll answer for my wife on this one it was me. The 1st time riding it she some how had front tire locked up and the back spining in the grass I got in front of her to keep off the car. Driving is another story Earth did its best to take me out 1 time. I had a 78 camaro well got into with my brother jumped into slamming the door which when I made a right hand turn that it didnt latch and out the door I went well almost I was doing a flintsone with my left arm trying to steer with right all the while trying to get my feet onto the brake
what did you trade the day for?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

A bat.....
The one pictured below rode the rest of the way home with me, about 3 miles, wedged between the visor and face shield one night last summer.
Two days ago riding to work I caught one with my left shoulder.
Attachments
get-attachment.aspx - Copy.jpg
get-attachment.aspx - Copy.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mercedes RL350.
Attachments
claim_2011003600225801-04-crop.jpg
claim_2011003600225801-04-crop.jpg (40.86 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

ericalm wrote:Mercedes RL350.
Complete with picture! I think Eric is winning this now. Also Ouch!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Damn Mercedes! I wish I'd gotten a picture, I sure would have liked to seen what kind of damage I'd done. (Really, I'd like to be able to say that I totaled a Mercedes with my scooter!)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Ouch! Dang, that photo really brings it home.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Hysterical :lol: Sadly I bumped into that exact same big rock.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Uncle Groucho wrote:I........crashed into a pub.
LOL!!!! I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere.

viney266

Post by viney266 »

Damn!, beat me to it.

MANY MANY tmes riding dirt bikes :wink:
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JohnKiniston wrote:
Complete with picture! I think Eric is winning this now. Also Ouch!
In all honesty, yeah, it hurt! :)
But any crash you can limp away from… I guess…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

How did the bike come out of it Eric?
Rob

Post by Rob »

A VeeDub slugbug.

I lost my first true love in this mishap. A Kawasaki 400 (my first MC) that I'll never forget.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JohnKiniston wrote:How did the bike come out of it Eric?
Totaled. Front end destroyed and frame bent.

This was at a mere 35mph or less on a park road. They were parked at the curb to my right, then tried to pull a U-turn in front of me without signaling or even having the brake lights on. I was almost to the rear bumper or so when they pulled out in front of me. No time to do much other than hit the brake and brace for impact.
Attachments
claim_2011003600225801-05-small.jpg
claim_2011003600225801-05-small.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Jerks. Your poor Stella. :(
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

For me, the ground.

I was turning my Silverwing around in my backyard (that was my first mistake), on the grass. Not a lot of room to maneuver so I had to go REAL SLOW. Got hung up on something and we just kind of fell right over.

I imagine it was pretty comical. I'd only had it for a week.
so tough, so pink
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

A catus for me.
Riding offroad and couldn't make the turn. Hello mr catus how are you today, I see you've got a hug full of thrones just waiting for. woot :(
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

:lol:
Riding is riding
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

scootavaran wrote:A catus for me.
Riding offroad and couldn't make the turn. Hello mr catus how are you today, I see you've got a hug full of thrones just waiting for. woot :(
Man... the locals there are just a bunch of pricks, aren't they?

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
amy

Post by amy »

A park bench.

I over-accelerated going up a curb.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

:shock: Damn, Eric, that's pretty impressive. The only thing that's missing is the hole in the driver-side window where you punched your fist through, grabbed the guy by the throat, and threatened to extract his DNA for genetic experimentation. I hope you at least set off his airbags.

Seriously, I'm really glad you weren't hurt any worse. It's a shame about your Stella. That was a cool and even somewhat historic scooter, but, when it comes down to it, scooters are just machines, whereas superheros are irreplaceable. :wink:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, I've never hit a car so I don't have any stories about hitting anything in the multi-ton range. On the other hand, I almost hit a damned big bird last week. Here I am zipping along on a rural road at about 50 or so. I see a turkey vulture over on the left shoulder evidently feeding on some kind of a road kill. When I get about 1 or 2 bikes lengths away, it decides I might be a problem and proceeds to leave. Instead of flying away from me, he starts to gain altitude across the road right in front of me. I brace for impact and it's wing swipes across my helmet. Fortunately he keeps going (without dumping any buzzard poop in my lap :wink: ), and my heart gradually returns to normal speed. I know turkey vultures aren't all that big, but they certainly look like it as they come over the top of the windscreen.
Collette

Post by Collette »

Luckily just a few curbs (and my ego soon afterward) :roll:
If you want to know where a road leads, ask someone on their way back.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

jrsjr wrote:

:shock: Damn, Eric, that's pretty impressive. The only thing that's missing is the hole in the driver-side window where you punched your fist through, grabbed the guy by the throat, and threatened to extract his DNA for genetic experimentation. I hope you at least set off his airbags.

Seriously, I'm really glad you weren't hurt any worse. It's a shame about your Stella. That was a cool and even somewhat historic scooter, but, when it comes down to it, scooters are just machines, whereas superheros are irreplaceable. :wink:
:shock:

oooowwwww.....

Flat on T-bone. That SUCKS.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote: :shock: Damn, Eric, that's pretty impressive. The only thing that's missing is the hole in the driver-side window where you punched your fist through, grabbed the guy by the throat, and threatened to extract his DNA for genetic experimentation. I hope you at least set off his airbags.

When people ask why I gear up to ride a scooter, well, this is why!

I actually don't know if his airbag went off! When I hit, I went into the back of the Stella glovebox, which knocked the wind out of me. I spent a while on the ground getting my breath and wiggling my fingers and toes to make sure I could take my helmet off and get up.

The driver was a kid, 18, I think. If he's anything like I was at 18, it probably scared the crap out of him but he failed to learn any lasting lessons from it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:The driver was a kid, 18, I think. If he's anything like I was at 18, it probably scared the crap out of him but he failed to learn any lasting lessons from it.
I don't know.... I totaled my mom's car when I was 16, and learned a lot from the experience.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:The driver was a kid, 18, I think. If he's anything like I was at 18, it probably scared the crap out of him but he failed to learn any lasting lessons from it.
I don't know.... I totaled my mom's car when I was 16, and learned a lot from the experience.
I said like I was!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Just pointing out that we're not all like you. :D
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Last August I collided with a guard rail in Yellowstone Park. I thank the guard rail for being there. It was a loooooooong drop on the other side.

On a lighter note... this week a weasel ran in front of my front tire and just barely got by. I'm glad! I never did like that song "Pop, goes the weasel"! :lol:
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

So far so good. Took a dragon fly on my mouth at about 35mph while wearing. 3/4 helmet. Got a fat lip and it was not tasty at all. And a bumble bee got wedged in my soft cast between my thumb and finger. He let me know of his displeasure by stinging me several times before I could calmly pull over and let him out. He fell on the ground and I was tempted to stomp him. But if I'd mistakenly flown into some dark strange place that smelled sweaty and yuck, I may have wanted to sting my way out too. Just a bee being a bee and I figured he was traumatized enough and he flew off. The thought of bad karma terrifies me.
96 Decibel Freaks
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

That bee would've been toast if it were me. :evil:
Mutt the Hoople

k1dude wrote:That bee would've been toast if it were me. :evil:
No, can't kill a bee, what if it was Eric? Didn't see a pet bee license on him but you never know.
96 Decibel Freaks
Syd

Post by Syd »

dakotamouse wrote:Last August I collided with a guard rail in Yellowstone Park. I thank the guard rail for being there. It was a loooooooong drop on the other side.

On a lighter note... this week a weasel ran in front of my front tire and just barely got by. I'm glad! I never did like that song "Pop, goes the weasel"! :lol:
Good thing you didn't hit it straight on or it could have been like that other song "Weasels Ripped My Flesh"!
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Well if he tried to rip my flesh it would have been, "Weasel Stomping Day!"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k76IGLi6jWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:
No, can't kill a bee, what if it was Eric? Didn't see a pet bee license on him but you never know.
"But can a bee be said to be or not to be an entire bee when half the bee is not a bee, due to some ancient injury?"
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

.... my wife.

Bazinga!

(not true, BTW, just had to say it)

~SM
monnoracing

Post by monnoracing »

The earth, house porch and honda civic. All in the same wreck.
Pflower001

Post by Pflower001 »

KABarash wrote:A bat.....
The one pictured below rode the rest of the way home with me, about 3 miles, wedged between the visor and face shield one night last summer.
Two days ago riding to work I caught one with my left shoulder.
GAH! that picture is HORRIFYING!
Mutt the Hoople

PeteH wrote:
Mutt the Hoople wrote:
"But can a bee be said to be or not to be an entire bee when half the bee is not a bee, due to some ancient injury?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
96 Decibel Freaks
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

pretty sure i hit a Higgs Boson on the way to work this morning . . .