might be a blur coming for me soon?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

justscooten

might be a blur coming for me soon?

Post by justscooten »

to make a long story short i have been looking at scooters for sometime.
all makes and models. from the tgb laser r9 to the buddy 125 now the blur

i would like to hit speeds of around 60-65 mph. i love the way the blur looks (FAST) :D and would like to go 2-up sometimes. im about 5-11 and 195 pounds. the nearest dealer is about 127 miles way. im looking to buy in the spring. ( got to wait for my lease is up on a car) then i have cash to burn!
what is everyone thoughts on the blur and what was it that made you all buy the blur?
(that and i read a review of the 06 blur in scooterworld mag. stating thet the odometer reads weirdand i quot " the odometer should read in kilometers, but when riding a known stretch of 8 miles i wound up with a figure of 16.2. 8 miles works out to 12.9 kilometers"
so as anyone know about this and whats this bdu i keep seeing in this forum? any help would be great thanks!!
Last edited by justscooten on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

I got the Blur and it's a blast on the city streets. My impression (I have the 2007 Blur) is that the 2006 model did not measure the mileage too well, hence the forum's discovery/invention of BDU (Blur Distance Units - the number on the Blur's odometer). I think my Blur's BDU is pretty close to actual miles. Also, I like that my Blur has hazard lights and has audible clicks when I have a turn signal on - my more expensive and supposedly fancier Piaggio BV500 has neither of these features (and it should). Also, the combo of light weight and great brakes makes this scooter very safe, I think. I remember I had a couple of near-misses the first night I got it - it was Friday so distracted drivers were everywhere in my city. So I got good first-hand experiences with the braking capability of the Blur :-)

As you suggested, the Blur looks like a sporty scoot, and gets away from the "retro" look, opting for (what to me is) a more sci-fi, anime futuro look - without going past the point of no return like a Morphous (although I kinda like the looks of that Star Trek wiener schnitzel of scooters, too). I'm about your height and weight and I've given rides to various people (mostly women) with the scoot around town, and they've all enjoyed it, I think especially when I have the top case installed, since it's like a back rest for the passengers. Being a gentleman I haven't asked the women I gave rides to about their weight :-) but after a while I almost forget they're behind me as I ride - by that I mean that I don't feel like the scoot's struggling in any way with the added weight. Of course I'm talking city streets, I'm not sure if you can or want to hit highway speeds with two.

I got the Blur to get a lighter, more flickable ride for the city streets compared to my BV500 which feels like a touring bike by comparison. I don't get out of the city with the Blur (I keep BV500 for that), but I just met a lady who rides her Buddy (I think comparable, but little less power/top speed than Blur) on the highways with enthusiasm, so it's a matter of choice (and road conditions in your part of the country?) than anything else.

I have to admit, I rather like having a small scoot and a big scoot. Riding one makes me appreciate the other the next time I ride it. I like the big one for power and speed, and I like the small one for the fun and nimbleness. I don't mean the Blur has no power or that the BV500 is not fun, but each showcases a different virtue of scooter riding for me.

Good luck finding a good scooter for yourself!
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

thanks for your input i think most of the riding ill be doing is in or near town i live in a small michigan town and im just out side of city line i drive about a little over a mile to work but have to cross 4 lane hiway with a 4 way light. and the road going out of town is 50 mph. but id like to rideing the back roads we have a bunch of lakes around here with great curvy roads with speeds of 45-55 mph.
and would like to ride 2up for weekend riding with the wife. hay if people have pics of the ride id love to see them i can get enouph . the next 5 month are going to be hell waiting till march. so the internet is all i got. :cry:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Here's my review from my site:
http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php/?p=3163

And photos from the day they unveiled it in minneapolis:
http://2strokebuzz.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2495

I liked it so much I bought one. I'm a vintage Vespa nerd and this was the first modern scooter that spoke to me (and was reasonably-priced.)

I wish it had just a little more kick, but I weigh 75 pounds more than you, I bet you'll love it. I think the suspensions a little stiff, but the brakes and handling are just about perfect and the riding position is perfect for me. I think it's a great value for the price.

As far as Genuine, you'll see occasional (and justified) complaints about their parts/spares supply, but even so, they're one of the better companies as far as supply and support goes, a lot of other companies are beyond dismal. Even if they discontinue the Blur, or stop importing PGOs entirely, or even if they close up shop, their sister company is Scooterworks, who's been around for 15+ years, and who will be around a lot longer than this current scooter craze, so it's not like they'll ever disappear completely. A Buddy is maybe a safer bet as far as that goes, they've sold so many of those things that you'll always be able to find parts, but 2-up is no fun on a Buddy, and the Blur is a higher-quality bike in general.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.