Way Better Than a Turkey Baster

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Old Crow

Way Better Than a Turkey Baster

Post by Old Crow »

The Flotool Measu-Funnel is great - made for petro-chemicals and cheap at AdvanceAuto Parts (<$5). The funnel end fits perfectly in the oil fill hole, tube is very flexible, and as the name implies you can measure in this before letting the fluid (oil) flow to its destination. If you make a mess with this, well... :roll:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... Assigned=1
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The turkey baster is for getting gear oil out! But I've graduated to a syringe. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Yup... the syringe is awesome. If you can find a "flavor injector", that's your best bet. Most of them already have the liquid amounts on them for easier measurements.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

spr0k3t wrote:Yup... the syringe is awesome. If you can find a "flavor injector", that's your best bet. Most of them already have the liquid amounts on them for easier measurements.
That's what I have but it's falling apart and needs replacement. I have rubber tubing attached to the end. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Old Crow

Post by Old Crow »

I just open the plug, let it drain, give the old oil a quick inspection and then measure and add 90cc.

Are you trying to get the last 20cc out or measure how much you extract?

I have used a turkey baster to extract power steering fluid (for a psuedo flush) and eventually the petrochemicals destroy the baster. The chemicals have also destroyed every syringe I used. Their rubber parts just don't like car fluids.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's very easy to overfill gear oil and even an extra 20cc can be a PITA. So I extract, measure and replace what I removed. The injector/syringe is actually a bit more useful on my Vespa, where I'd gave to remove the rear wheel to get to the drain plug. But I've gotten used to doing it that way so when I did it on a Buddy, that was how.