Getting a Blur this Saturday

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kenbike

Getting a Blur this Saturday

Post by kenbike »

I picikng up a 2013 Blur 220 i this weekend. I want to add an aftermarket exhaust and have not had much luck trying to find a slip on our full system for the scoot. It appeared MRP makes a system for a 150 Blur but cannot find any for the 220. Any advice or will a 150 system fit and work ok?

Any other changes you would suggest?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

No one has found an exhaust for the 220 yet. You could change the variator weights to Dr. Pulley, but an exhaust may be a pipe dream...
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Ken,

It's been a while since I owned a Blur, but the short answer is, "no."

A different exhaust changes the balance of fuel/air in the injection system, and the chip would need to be re-mapped. In the US, few to zero dealers have the equipment to even re-map the injection system, much less measure it and dyno the given exhaust setup.

I suspect you'd be better off getting an aftermarket exhaust from Japan (for example) and being patient enough to find a mech with the tool to re-map that exhaust for you. It's a horrific pain in the arse, though.

It's also one of the reasons I dumped my Blur. Genuine isn't adequately supporting the "performance" aspect of a Performance scooter.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

I hit a bunch of dead ends yesterday. Talked with a guy at Scooterworks and he had a pretty good plan. Get 1000 miles on the scoot and than pick up a system for a CRF 150 Honda. Remove the stock muffler and fab the pipe keeping the stock header and make a mounting bracket. The EFI is a basic Kien setup and i have free software called TuneECU that I used on a KTM 990 Adventure to change the mapping. May be able to get in and increase the fuel by a few percentage but will need to get a temp air fuel ratio meter. A simpler method is researching placing a resistor in series with the stock oxygen tricking the bike to think it is to lean and letting the ecu add fuel. They sell these for BMW 1200 gs motors for $125 called power plugs. He said the clutch needs some work and open the air box.
I really like tuning bikes so this will be a fun project!
Rush

Post by Rush »

The Blur was designed to be pretty optimal with the stock equip/settings. Modding is better performed on a used Gen2 Suzuki SV650.

That being said - if you do find success with the Blur please share!
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

Picked up a Blur Saturday and put 225 miles on over the weekend. It is a blast in the corner and the brakes are super strong. Could use a lot more power but I hope with the engine breaking in i twill free up some. pretty good off the line and really starts to run out of steam at 60. It would only hit 68 with me on board 6 ft 200 lbs. I have a slip on from a Duc 900 that I going to fab up and adapter and end cap baffle. I can try it and see if it improves anything.

I going to try to have a booster plug made for the Blur. It works by changing the resistance in the intake air temperature sensor circuit. It fools the ECU with the output of the IAT sensor indicating a colder intake air temp and the ECU rich-ens the air fuel ratio. A guy has been selling these for BMW 1200 gs and 800 bikes and he has offered to help. I need to get my hands on a service manual to locate the sensor. Hopefully it is removable so I can send it to him.

Anybody know the location on the 220 Blur?

If this works it would be a plug and play instsall for all of you Blur owners!
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

Spend 50 cents instead and put a 1k - 3k ohm resistor on the IAT yourself :wink:

I installed a 1k ohm resistor on my Suzuki TU250X for some mild exhaust and intake mods and it works perfect.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

Ok, explain what you used. Was it a 1k fixed resistor?
What was the wattage rating of the resistor?
You gave a range of 1 to 3K, did you do any testing?

How did it work out? Did you have the bike on a dyno or check the air fuel ratio before and afters?

This is very good news!