Annoying Start to My Work Week

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Coffeejunkie

Annoying Start to My Work Week

Post by Coffeejunkie »

While having to be at work at 4:30 in the morning certainly has its downsides. There have always been some good bonuses to my early morning ride. First and foremost, I have the streets of Atlanta virtually to myself; this of course usually leave me free from stupid questions and ridicule, except for today.

As I was heading in this morning I noticed that Victoria was running a little low. As I turned into the gas station this huge Hummer full of guys way too young to afford such a vehicle just start mocking me, saying things about me and even worse Victoria. (Say what you want about me, but don't bring my innocent Buddy into the mix.) On the upside they were pulling away, and I just chuckled to myself because they had already burned about as much gas as I had just put in to Vic, and while they had to most likely spent the evening waiting for their H3 to fuel up. I was in and out in under 3 minutes.

So I make it to work rather quickly after that, and as I'm swiping in the security guard says, "No offense but can I ask you a question?"

Knowing what was coming, I wanted to say no, but I was running late so I said yes to speed things up.

"Have you ever thought of getting a real bike."

"It is a real bike."

He then backtracks, but obviously doesn't get it, and then proceeds to tell me about a Harley that I should get. I can tell the guy is trying to be nice, but I'm late and he just insulted Vic.

Happy Thurmonday to me.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Sassy Chassis

Post by Sassy Chassis »

Most Americans don't get it. They cannot wrap their little brains around anything that is, to them, out of the ordinary.

Be proud of your uniqueness and enjoy your scootering.

8)
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

Ask him what a real bike is. When he says a motorcycle tell him the dictionary definition of a scooter is "a motorcycle with a step-through frame". :)

Edit: hmm not on dictionary.com. I must have read that on the DMV's site or something.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Although my age (62) is a benefit in this type of conversation the Hummer guys would have had me walk over, look at their pump total $$, and remind them I just filled for three bucks......this with a audible tsk, tsk.
Said with a grin, it works every time and often turns into a short discussion of how the oil companies are bending us over.

The guard at work would get a 'What do you ride?'
Likely, he rides a cage.....same mentality as a Nisson driver with a Harley decal in the window.
But, if he does ride, just tell him this is so much easier to pull out of the garage and ride the city streets than a traditional motorcycle......less expensive too.....everyone relates to expense of operation.

Have fun with the naysayers.....you often get a new friend.

Rob
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

dont let it get you down,its just stupidity. it is amazing how many people chime in with their expertise on a subject they know absolute zero about.it is getting better in rva as more and more people are riding(cant swing a dead cat without hitting a scooterist)but every once in a while i will still get some stupid comment about a real bike.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I work for a global aerospace company in Philadelphia. I asked my supervisor for motorcycle parking passes so I could park my scooter in the motorcycle lot.

He said...

"Riding a scooter is like riding a fat chick. It's fun until your friends catch you riding."

This from a company that stresses diversity and sensitivity training...

:fp:
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

I know it's not limited to this fair city, but I like to think Atlanta breeds a special type of asshat...

How the hell do you make fun of a BlackJack for cryin' out loud?! :fp:
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If that's the worst thing that happens then it a really really good week.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I get that all the time.

"when are you going to get a real bike?"

Well, this isn't a fake bike, it's a different tool in the 2-wheeled toolbox. If I was single and regularly riding the mountains, I would get a 'real bike'.

But, in town I enjoy my twistngo ridiculously good mpg, thank you very much.

The same thing happens when I tell people we're eventually going to sell my wife's Ranger and get a decent small sedan or econobox that will hold us and any impending spawn we may have.

"why, the truck has a big engine and is great in the snow!"

Well sure, but it can't hold more than 2 people comfortably, we don't use the truck bed much, and we live in a major metropolitan area. it also gets >20mpg. a 35mpg honda would be a much smarter investment. the 5 days a year it's truly too horrible to go to work in the snow, we'll just stay home thanks.

It's hilarious when someone uses more gas to pass you and get to the light (where you often catch up) than you will all week.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Knees in the breeze, will make all that go away.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Hah. Harley's and Hummers. What a waste. I mean, Harley's aren't bad bikes, they just tend to attract or cause douche-iness.
It's too much about the image and not enough about riding.

I'm sure those twats rode off high-fiving each other about how they razzed the scooter rider. Then they realized they had to get Dad's Hummer back home.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

IF H > 1, THEN Driver = Loser.
IF H = 1, THEN Vehicle = Awesome.

my $.02 when it comes to the vehicles known as Hummers.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:IF H > 1, THEN Driver = Loser.

True. The original Hummer (military style) is pure bad-ass. It's one of the vehicles I want during and after the Zombie Apocalypse.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Just think of the billions of people who don't know the joy of owning and riding a scooter. We are an enlighten minority. 8)
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Tocsik wrote:
SYMbionic Duo wrote:IF H > 1, THEN Driver = Loser.

True. The original Hummer (military style) is pure bad-ass. It's one of the vehicles I want during and after the Zombie Apocalypse.
I'll take a hummer anytime, vehicle or no vehicle involved :twisted:
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

i've been lucky in avoiding most of that kind of asshattery in Atlanta. maybe i get respect because i'm usually blasting music? i dunno. we are becoming more and more legion out here though, so hopefully people start to get a clue.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Last week, guy in an H3 pulls up next to me in convenience store lot as I'm putting my gear on. He's pumping dance music when he pulls in. He's wearing the cheesiest-looking pimpster outfit—shiny purple shirt, tight pants, tan socks and pointy black loafers. And he says to me, "Hey, man, you've got the right idea."

I just nodded, but in my head was thinking, "YOU THINK? SO WHY ARE YOU DRIVING THAT MASSIVE HEAP OF METAL, D-BAG?!"
Tristik wrote:Ask him what a real bike is. When he says a motorcycle tell him the dictionary definition of a scooter is "a motorcycle with a step-through frame". :)

Edit: hmm not on dictionary.com. I must have read that on the DMV's site or something.
Have you been rereading the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards? ;)

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards §571.123, S4:
Scooter means a motorcycle that:
(1) Has a platform for the operator’s feet or has integrated footrests, and
(2) Has a step-through architecture, meaning that the part of the vehicle forward of the operator's seat and between the legs of an operator seated in the riding position, is lower in height than the operator’s seat.
FMVSS §571.3:
Motorcycle means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
Yeah, eric, that looks more like what I read.

I actually just got back from taking my scoot up to work to show the guys I used to work with on 2nd shift. I have a Blur, so it's not quite so scootery looking (other than the giant 'Genuine Scooter Company' decal on the side), but no one said anything negative.

One guy asked if it could get up to 40 and I just gave him a facepalm kind of look and let him know that, technically, I could get a speeding ticket on the freeway with it (65mph limit 'round 'ere).
~~
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Hate to state the obvious, but those folks driving Hummers, you think they might be trying to compensate for something? :twisted:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

skully93 wrote:I get that all the time.

"when are you going to get a real bike?"

Well, this isn't a fake bike, it's a different tool in the 2-wheeled toolbox. If I was single and regularly riding the mountains, I would get a 'real bike'.

But, in town I enjoy my twistngo ridiculously good mpg, thank you very much.

The same thing happens when I tell people we're eventually going to sell my wife's Ranger and get a decent small sedan or econobox that will hold us and any impending spawn we may have.

"why, the truck has a big engine and is great in the snow!"

Well sure, but it can't hold more than 2 people comfortably, we don't use the truck bed much, and we live in a major metropolitan area. it also gets >20mpg. a 35mpg honda would be a much smarter investment. the 5 days a year it's truly too horrible to go to work in the snow, we'll just stay home thanks.

It's hilarious when someone uses more gas to pass you and get to the light (where you often catch up) than you will all week.
+1000 pt. Most Americans will never understand....
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hummer drivers and harley riders of some varieties can be laughed at and mocked. openly if they do the same to you, first. otherwise ignore the ignorance

i am sure i have drawn a few chuckles, and a few shouts out some car windows. but nothing in my face. if so i would just laugh, belittle, or straighten the person out if they wanted to take it that far

i pulled up to a harley a couple weeks ago at a light. big, gross, chromed out monster with a guy about 60 y/o, 5'8, and 275 on it. i said "nice day for a ride," complimented him on his bike, and he looked my bike up and down and snickered

but i was prepared for that and realized even at his advanced age he doesn't understand what a bike is or why to ride one, other then his own narrow pov. which is sad

its not the bike exactly, but how you ride it. and the blackjack can be rode very spiritedly. and its a very cool scooter. so kids in hummers or a-holes on harleys...i feel smart as i ride right by them :)
Riding is riding
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

"I tried to get a Harley, but my penis was too big!"

Works every time!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

JHScoot wrote:its not the bike exactly, but how you ride it.
^this, exactly! (or how you DON'T ride it for most people).

The things I can't stand about "MOST" Harley riders is...

1. They look at anything BUT Harley as a third class machine. They preach all day about only buying American, but are their iPhones made in America? Moving right along...

2. They dress like a bunch of pirates! Seriously guy, lose the leather, gang patches on the vest, and chains.... you're a DENTIST. Nevermind, it's Saturday, that means leave the wife and kids at home and play badass with your buddies.

3. As much trash as they talk, I just look at their odometers and laugh. Cool, you rode 20 miles for a cup of coffee, then went home. Put it back in the garage for 2 more weeks. Way to go!

4. Most Harley riders are trying to chase after something, some lifestyle, some image. I still don't get it. Maybe they wish they can go back 25 or 30 years and do things differently. In the meantime, this image will help fill a temporary void in an otherwise meaningless and boring life.

5. They DON'T RIDE! Bunch of trailer fairies. Let's go to Sturgis, only we'll trailer it to Rapid City. Leave the pickup truck and trailer at the carpool lot, then ride in the remaining 50 miles so we show up with bugs on our fairing! "woo hoo, that was a hell of a ride in from Indiana!"

6. It's a damn namebrand. That's it! It's not about riding or a sense of adventure. It's the great American good old boy's club! I mean, they have Harley Davidson edition pickup trucks for crying out loud! There's a HD store in downtown Disney that doesn't even sell motorcycles!

ok, note above that I said "MOST".
TVB

Post by TVB »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:Let's go to Sturgis, only we'll trailer it to Rapid City. Leave the pickup truck and trailer at the carpool lot, then ride in the remaining 50 miles so we show up with bugs on our fairing! "woo hoo, that was a hell of a ride in from Indiana!"
You can get to Sturgis from Indiana in about 10 minutes. ;)
Sturgis, Michigan, that is. And I rode my scooter every mile to get there, dammit. :)
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

I have no real problem with Harleys myself.
Not my style but they are pretty cool bikes. The riders on the other hand, can be interesting to say the least.

Some Harley riders talk about riding like it was a job or something. they lost their sense for fun and adventure sometime ago and hate on everyone who still rides for the enjoyment of it.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:"I tried to get a Harley, but my penis was too big!"

Works every time!
exactly. small bike, big peen

big bike, small peen

makes sense to me!! :lol:

EDIT: love that numbered post you put up. item by item...
Riding is riding
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
There's one guy I work with I consider a 'real' biker. He's closing in on 50 and has been riding since he could drive.

He drives Triumph, but he doesn't give the slightest amount of a shit what you drive. If you're on 2 wheels, he'll ride with you wherever you want to ride.

He doesn't wear leather jackets, his bike doesn't sound like an industrial plant, he doesn't mod his bikes to flash 50% chrome, he drives his bike everyday he can, and HE is a real biker.
~~
double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

Thing is... it's not just Harley riders. It's scooter people, and mods, and skinheads, etc., etc.
Anyone over the age of 22, with a job and bills to pay, who still places there identity within a hobby, image, haircut, style, etc. needs to rewind and not skip that phase of adolescent development where you find out how to place your identity within your character and intellect. I mean, is your life so lacking in meaning and purpose that "competing" to be "cool" is still your thing?
get a job, read a newspaper, have some goals. The rest of us have left high school... it's just pathetic.
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

I pulled up next to a older guy on a big, tricked out Harley this morning at a light. He looked over at me (on my little 50cc Buddy) and asked if I wanted to race. I made a show of thinking about it for a second, then said, "Well...ok. But I have to give you a head start. I wouldn't feel right about beating you if I didn't."

Husband and I went out yesterday for a ride down to Kennebunk since it was his birthday. I have never seen so much rudeness on the road in my life! Cars passing us, laying on the horn as they go, despite the fact that we were going at or above the speed limit at any given time (compensating for the fact that our speedometers seem to be set at about 5-7 mph higher than what we are traveling). Cars passing us and crowding our lane. Cars riding our bumpers and honking. One guy in a HUGE truck pulled up next to us at a light and scolded us for not pulling to the side so that everyone else could pass. Excuse me? I have every right to be in that lane, on whatever SIDE of the lane I chose to use. Nowhere in the motorcycle laws does it state, "Make sure you ride in the ditch whenever possible so as not to inconvenience people who are CLEARLY more important than you." I try not to let it get to me, but this rampant bad attitude towards scooters and bikes is seriously hurting my enjoyment of riding. Husband promises me that once tourist season is over, it'll improve, but I have my doubts. There was an equal amount of bullsh*t coming from Maine plated cars.
TVB

Post by TVB »

persephonelily wrote:I pulled up next to a older guy on a big, tricked out Harley this morning at a light. He looked over at me (on my little 50cc Buddy) and asked if I wanted to race. I made a show of thinking about it for a second, then said, "Well...ok. But I have to give you a head start. I wouldn't feel right about beating you if I didn't."
The way I see it, if two people are going somewhere, the one who spends the most time riding to get there is the winner. :)
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

The US Pro bicycling tour was here on Thursday. Bicycles were allowed up the road to the village. I was advised that 'motorcycles' weren't. My 'scoot' grew up and I didn't know it. :P But I did know an alternate route to my destination. 8)
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

fossel

Post by fossel »

I rode a harey for 15 years.started riding in 1971,and rode with some real bad ass guys up in the san fran outskirts.Im 59 now and look at the harley guys as a bunch of wanna be bikers.Its just the big fad bike,with lawyers,doctors,office workers playing bad ass biker in their brand new shiny leathers! My friends ride harleys,and I scew with them all the time.I like being different.I tell them you can see a harey every 5 minutes in carlsbad,big deal.Everybody has one now.They do get mad when I pass them,so I get great joy in messing with their egos.I love the idea of being the odd duck and get sent pictures of mobility scooter by all my friends on harleys.I love my buddy 125 and Im so glad to be back on two wheels again .in 4 months I have over 5000 miles.
Syd

Post by Syd »

An H3? Ha! That's like mini-me of Hummers. Tell them you'll get a real bike when they get a real Hummer.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Heheh. I went for a ride today with some folks from a local scooter gang. We rode up to a monument along the Mississippi, then our leader runs us down a little further to a big marina/tavern. Where a big Biker Bash was taking place. Hundreds of Harleys, acres of chrome and leather, and a Stella, an ET4, and my Bud. We had some lunch and checked out the vendors, and nobody really gave us a second look. We also got lots a two-signs along the road, and no bird-flips. A pleasant day among the Big Dogs.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Dracolibris

Post by Dracolibris »

I'm racking my brain, and I cannot think of an incident where a Harley rider has been rude or derogatory to me. Sure, tehy might ignore my waves on the road, but oh well. In fact, when I first started attending rallies, there would be an "Honor Guard" of bikers on either end of the scooter groups. It was like having your big brother watching out for you.

We also used to get stranded on the "wrong side of the tracks" by trains a while ago (they've since built an overpass), and there was a rough looking biker bar there in the middle of a desolate industrial area. It was a bonus to have a place to stop and get out of the shade, because those trains could be stopped for a loooong time. The bikers there were never anything but nice to me and my friends, and we even let a few have test rides on our scooters whenever they would ask.

So I don't know what I am doing right, but I will keep on doing it.
Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:An H3? Ha! That's like mini-me of Hummers. Tell them you'll get a real bike when they get a real Hummer.
This!

I can't tell you how many Hummer H3 owners look so silly thinking they own a real truck when my '96 Tahoe had more towing power and more ground clearance than those minivans shaped like blocks.

My knee jerk reaction to a hummer owner talking smack is "Oh, is that sort of how you couldn't afford a Ranger Rover Defender 90, so that was the best you could do?"
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Ah, the ole "real bike" question. I treat this as a "shit test" and prefer not to answer within the bounds of the question.

"That's a faggoty scooter you got there. Why don't you get a real bike?"

"Do you think this is my only bike?"

I like that response because it makes them ponder the fact that I might have a "real bike" as well - whatever a real bike is to them. It's a way of breaking down their preconceptions and will usually make all but the most obtuse noobler think before opening his pie-hole the next time he speaks with a person riding a scooter.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Using the internet for evil since 1994.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dracolibris wrote:I'm racking my brain, and I cannot think of an incident where a Harley rider has been rude or derogatory to me.
Harley riders are people. That means some treat others the way they wish to be treated, and some treat others they way they deserve to be treated.
Last edited by TVB on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BANNER2054

Post by BANNER2054 »

I've only had my 170 for a week and I live in Grapevine, right in the middle of the Dallas Ft Worth area. On the roads everyone I have come across on two wheels is very friendly. BUT the first time I went up to the Quick Trip pick up items (beer) a teenager parked next to me in a Porsche Panamera and went out of his way to tell me "Hey nice ride, does it come with a juice box holder?" I thought is was funny since the day before I ordered a Gen-u-bin...
mlo71

Post by mlo71 »

I get that all the time as well when I am on my zuma 125!
Why dont you get a motorcycle? Well I have a full dresser Harley
and the scoot is more fun to ride than that or my KTM 625 smc.
I always ask,what kind of bike do you have? Most of the time I am told
"I dont have one right now" but I am going to get another one....OK great!
people are just rude and love to make fun of a grown man on a scooter!
O well....thanks .Mark.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I wouldn't sweat it. Most people who haven't ridden a scooter before look down on scooters. A good number of harley people look down on anything that's not a harley...but that goes for most purists of any brand.

I've gotten that "get a real bike" line when I was on my Buddy 125, a Ninjette 250, a Kwak Vulcan 900, and occasionally on my current bike: a Triumph Bonneville. (Doesn't help that my house is 2 miles from the local Harley dealership.) I just smile and say something like, "No thanks, I'm not a Harley guy. You either get it or you don't." (They should recognize that line.) :twisted: