Chugging stalling 4t

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

xTomBx

Chugging stalling 4t

Post by xTomBx »

I took about an hour ride yesterday not at WOT, but on my ride home IF i went near WOT for a minute or so my scoot would "chug" and lose speed and then eventually stall.
I'd get it to the side of the road and then start it right back up and be on my way.
I also noticed at our halfway stop on the ride, it didn't want to kick start (I usually kick it)
Any suggestions? Its still under warranty, and I was planning on calling my dealer Tuesday, but wanted to get the MB consensus on the issue first.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Are you familiar with the evap cannister problems? Sounds like that to me.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

A little.
That would make sense, since i accidentally over-filled the night before.
Aside from the vented cap, is there anything else you think I can do?
Tom

Post by Tom »

I haven't done any adaptations to mine. Anytime I overfill slightly and stall out, I just pull over and open the gas cap for a few seconds. That lets enough air in so that I can usually get home. Just have to burn some off by riding. If it's really high, you might try to siphon some out into a gas can.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's a rubber tube that runs from the back of the gas tank to the canister. Disconnect that and make sure no gas is flowing out of the tank and into the canister.

You can then disconnect the canister from the hose that runs from its backside down into the body of the scooter. This runs down into the air system. If gas comes out there, some may have flowed/dribbled down. You might be able to clear some some out by blowing into the hose. Sounds weird but I have seen a real, professional mechanic do this—and a little gas then ran out the back of the scoot, dribbling out of the air system.

You can also remove the canister and shake it out.

Overall, unless you flooded something most of the gas in there should evaporate soon as long as more isn't flowing in from the tank. The ways to stop this are to vent the cap and then disconnect or block one of the hoses.

If you do that, you should be able to fill to the brim with no issues!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…