Boost in performance 1/2 hour in?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Boost in performance 1/2 hour in?

Post by RoaringTodd »

Has anyone noticed their scooter has an increase in performance after riding her for 1/2 hours or more at a stretch?

Reason why I ask is because usually I ride 1 mile each way to work. Last weekend I took her on a really long ride three different times. All of those times I noticed that as time went on, Lil' Abby was purring louder than she had been, and the throttle was more responsive. I enjoyed the increase in performance and wondered what it could be attributed to?

RT
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Alb brajn

Post by Alb brajn »

I've often wondered this myself. The first half of my commute is 50 mph and the other is 35. Sometimes my buddy appears to run better at 50 mph on the way home when the 50 mph part is at the end not the beginning. I hope someone else knowledge about this.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Exactly!
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A one mile ride barely warms up the engine and transmission. Do you warm up your engine in the morning before taking off or just start it up and go (as I do, ha)?

There are so many variables affecting performance that it's hard to pin down a single one and say it's definitively why the scooter does one thing at one time, another at others. I know all my engines run better when it's cool outside, around 60°. They're like eager racehorses then!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

After the first few minutes of warming up, I've never noticed any change in performance on my 50, whether it's half an hour or six hours.
hal888

Post by hal888 »

After riding for 30 minutes or so at a good speed, I often feel that my scoot rides better after stopping for gas. It seems much more responsive. Maybe it is still hot, but cools off a bit. No idea.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Noticed that too, on longer trips. Seems to 'open up' like my crappy, abused lungs do after a run.

I've certainly noticed as it gets colder of course, but that's too obvious.
monnoracing

Post by monnoracing »

im fuel injected and even my scooter runs better when its hot. The weather has dropped 30 degrees and it runs slow now.