Buddy 125 runs very rough after sitting in rain

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dctrzeke

Buddy 125 runs very rough after sitting in rain

Post by Dctrzeke »

Have a 2006 buddy 125 that I usually keep outside. Runs great if its dry but after any heavy rain the scooter wants to stall at stop lights and just runs very rough for 5-10 mins. Is this normal or is there anything I should be looking for?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

some models have the air scoop, some don't. is your air filter on the side getting all wet?

I know I've had a few wayward bits like napkins or a plastic bag get in there, and then it's super rough. I'd imagine water to have a similar effect.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

skully93 wrote:some models have the air scoop, some don't. is your air filter on the side getting all wet?

I know I've had a few wayward bits like napkins or a plastic bag get in there, and then it's super rough. I'd imagine water to have a similar effect.
Air you referring to the scoop on the right side of the engine? If so, that air scoop is strictly for air cooling only.

The actual air intake is a snorkel type hose located between the gas tank and the pet carrier that directs air into the air box where there is a weep hole drain and a baffle to prevent any water from getting in.

I would suspect this is more of an electrical issue such as a bad spark plug cable.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Well, the more you know!

See, I have no idea. Good suggestion on the plug.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JettaKnight wrote:I would suspect this is more of an electrical issue such as a bad spark plug cable.
I agree. Sounds like an electrical issue. I'd get a small tube of dielectric grease and apply a dab to various contacts such as the spark plug cap and the kill switch. I use the stuff on the electrical contacts of all my bulbs and switches.
Dctrzeke

Post by Dctrzeke »

Thanks. I replaced the spark plug, ignition coil and found some cracked insulation on the ground wires so fixed those. Runs much better now.