Jumpstarting a Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

UncleIroh

Jumpstarting a Buddy

Post by UncleIroh »

Haven't been able to ride either of my scooters for about six weeks and discovered the batteries are dead in both. I'm going to jumpstart them to take them to a dealer for an inspection, but I can't seem to figure out where the battery actually is. Anyone have any pointers?
VinylDoctor

Re: Jumpstarting a Buddy

Post by VinylDoctor »

UncleIroh wrote:Haven't been able to ride either of my scooters for about six weeks and discovered the batteries are dead in both. I'm going to jumpstart them to take them to a dealer for an inspection, but I can't seem to figure out where the battery actually is. Anyone have any pointers?
depends on the model.
usally floorboard near base of seat.
should start with the kick start thou.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Pull the floor mat up, there's a door there you open with a philips screw driver.

What I would do, get yourself a battery tender for each bike... they are cheap and quite literally do wonders.

Unless you have a 170, kickstart them.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You can jumpstart, but if jumping from a car, DO NOT TURN THE CAR ON. Connect directly to the battery and start the scooter.

If the scooter doesn't start, STILL DO NOT TURN THE CAR ON. You'll blow your fuse and could do more electrical damage. If the scooter still doesn't start, the battery may be dead and unable to hold a charge.

You can also just take the batteries into a shop, even most auto shops. They can test is and charge it up for you.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

ERICALM: You can jumpstart, but if jumping from a car, DO NOT TURN THE CAR ON. Connect directly to the battery and start the scooter.
That's good to know Eric..... thnx!!
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Yah, what Eric said. Don't start the car!

You will probably fry the starter solenoid fuse, and likely fry some of the wiring. You will have to take a ton of body panels off to get to the fried parts.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
welbuddy

Buddy Fuses

Post by welbuddy »

How many fuses are there in the Buddy 125 and where are they? Thanks.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Symbiotic...... That's if
I start the car...... Right?

SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

@AvonPirate Yes.

@welbuddy There are two fuses that come off the battery, in the battery compartment. There is one on the starter solenoid which is under the right side body panel. there is a 1A fuse that protects the 12V adapter which is under the front shield.
welbuddy

Post by welbuddy »

What is the amp size of the solenoid fuse? Thanks.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Wiring diagram doesn't list one, but i could have sworn that there is one. I'll check the bike tonight and see.

-duo
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's either an 8A or 10A. I think most of the newer Buddys have 10A fuses.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Hey guys need some coaching. New battery seems to resolve my starting up issues. Now, what do i do with the battery purchased in June by the previous owner. It's just fine in warm weather, but it's a wimp in cold weather and if I don't ride the scoot daily. Do I keep it? It's been on the trickle charger for 30 hrs? My gut says to put it back in and if it's wimpy dispose of it..... What a waste of $60. After the dumping iincident in the parking lot, the anti-scoot mechanic told me that the battery was doa & he had to charge it. This probably seems pretty elementary to most, but remember.... I'm still a 'bride' in this relationship with the scoot

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

avonpirate wrote:...it's a wimp in cold weather and if I don't ride the scoot daily. Do I keep it?
Actually, there is something you can do. Take that battery to a Batteries Plus or other place where they specialize in batteries. Batteries Plus stores have equipment that can actually scope out the internal state of the battery and tell you what's wheter or not it's a keeper.

If you keep the battery, be sure to store it carefully over the winter. Don't put it on the concrete floor of your garage and forget it. Put it up on something non-conductive and put a battery tender on it. I say this because the classic way to kill a motorcycle battery is to take it out and put it on the floor of the garage where it slowly discharges and then it can't be revived.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

avonpirate wrote:Symbiotic...... That's if
I start the car...... Right?
If you start the car with your buddy attached.
It can fry everything on your scooter. might even see some nice smoke and hear some noise too.
it would be like plugging your ipod into a 110 volt wall outlet.

i.e. Hey look! it's one of those really rare flaming buddys you hear about.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Ok, that just ain't so.

Current is pulled by the scoot, not pushed by the car. If you connect up to the car's battery in a normal jump configuration, you simply have more current - a bigger bucket of ampere-hours - to draw from. The voltage at the car battery (after its regulator) is damn near the same as that present after the voltage regulator on your scoot. They use the SAME lead-acid battery and charging technologies, OK? This is one case where Size Does Not Matter. :D

I have jump-started bikes and scoots from running (and stopped) cars MANY times, with no blown fuses, smoke, nor flames. Sure, working with the car engine off is less scary, but sometimes I've needed to move the car closer, and never bothered to shut it off during the jump. Never a big deal.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

PeteH wrote:Ok, that just ain't so.

Current is pulled by the scoot, not pushed by the car. If you connect up to the car's battery in a normal jump configuration, you simply have more current - a bigger bucket of ampere-hours - to draw from. The voltage at the car battery (after its regulator) is damn near the same as that present after the voltage regulator on your scoot. They use the SAME lead-acid battery and charging technologies, OK? This is one case where Size Does Not Matter. :D

I have jump-started bikes and scoots from running (and stopped) cars MANY times, with no blown fuses, smoke, nor flames. Sure, working with the car engine off is less scary, but sometimes I've needed to move the car closer, and never bothered to shut it off during the jump. Never a big deal.
I blew a fuse doing it.
stASH

Post by stASH »

After having to replace the stator on my first motorcycle, my mechanic explained that you shouldn't EVER jump start a bike with a car. Unless you want to replace the stator and possibly other electronic components. Makes sense to me, the alternator on a car generates a lot more current than what a scooter's electrical system is designed to handle. If you're lucky you'll just blow a fuse.

You might be able to get away with it occasionally, as it doesn't necessarily fry everything instantly the first time you do it, but I think multiple jump starts will do damage.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Has anybody ever had any experience with something like this? Seems like you could build one yourself pretty easily. It's a set of jumper cables specifically designed for motorcycle to motorcycle, or motorcycle to car via an accessory socket built in. Plug the accessory into the cars port and gator clips to your mc/scooter battery. Even has a 3 amp fuse. Seems it wouldn't let anymore than 12v through and be a safe for your electrics.

http://www.scootersden.com/p-576-motorc ... nAodFXYAow
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Cute, but two problems. I see no mention of any voltage limiting circuit, only a 3A current-limiting fuse. I'd have to look up the Buddy's starter load, but 3A ain't much. Fine for 'charging', but I'm dubious about cranking.

Second problem - at 26" long, there's no way it reaches from a car's 12v jack to a bike. Wouldn't even reach the window in my car. :D :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

@BeefSupreme
It's a set of jumper cables specifically designed for motorcycle to motorcycle, or motorcycle to car via an accessory socket built in. Plug the accessory into the cars port and gator clips to your mc/scooter battery. Even has a 3 amp fuse. Seems it wouldn't let anymore than 12v through and be a safe for your electrics.
Yesterday afternoon, As I was standing and deciding which voltage meter to buy at Walmart I got into a discussion w/ a guy and he suggested that this type of item, see above, would be a good thing to have in my 'quiver' of scoot stuff. Then he went into how I might use the meter I was considering buying. Long well meant explaination, Way over my ski instructor brain.
Given a perfect world: what should a fully charged battery read?
Does it make any difference as to WHEN to take the reading? Immediately off the tender? Immediatley off the bike?
Will I see a pattern??
Although the weather here is great now it's just a matter of time before I put this scoot into storage. I want to have my proverbial ducks in a row. Another friend suggested that through the winter I put the battery on the tender with an electric timer and recharge for 30 minutes each night.
I've read once or twice a week is sufficiant.

what does experience tell you guys/gals? :?

Thanks

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The battery should read around 12V when the scooter is off. Scooter running, at idle, about the same, maybe a tad lower. Scooter running, engine revving, around 13.5-14.

Unless you think there's a wiring problem somewhere, take the reading at the battery.

A float charter such as the Battery Tender Jr. eliminates the need for anything with a timer. Just plug in and done.

As for jumpers, used some (made by Yuasa) at my dealer the other day. Charged battery to my run down one. Worked fine.

http://is.gd/np9QXZ
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

stASH wrote:

After having to replace the stator on my first motorcycle, my mechanic explained that you shouldn't EVER jump start a bike with a car. Unless you want to replace the stator and possibly other electronic components. Makes sense to me, the alternator on a car generates a lot more current than what a scooter's electrical system is designed to handle. If you're lucky you'll just blow a fuse.

You might be able to get away with it occasionally, as it doesn't necessarily fry everything instantly the first time you do it, but I think multiple jump starts will do damage.
your lucky it was just a fuse.