This is one lucky rider

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TroutBum

This is one lucky rider

Post by TroutBum »

Saw this on Modern Vespa. A good reason why you should be fully alert while riding.

http://www.dpccars.com/motorcycle-12/09 ... cident.htm

Thankfully she'll survive to ride another day.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Woah!
What the hell happened? I don't even understand why she went into the other lane.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

That was crazy sh*t! Where was this video shot? Hope the rider didn't get hurt too bad....
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

...geez...no helmet even.

Where the heck was this? This person either really did nod off, or was on some kind of drugs.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Ouch! That hurts to watch. I'd guess they at least had a broken left arm and maybe left leg too. It probably didn't help that the car driver went and picked the rider up off the road, either. I'm guessing the rider was drugged or drunk. They really did look like they dozed off.
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
First of all, why was some random civilian recording stuff from their dashboard?

Second of all, way to be a dumbass and not wear any protection driving in heavy traffic.
~~
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Watching this, at about :10 sec in you can see her look to the left at something which means not watching what's about to hit her and bam! kisses the truck. Following where your looking gets you every time. Probably said she fell asleep to save some embarrassment.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Do you think the scooter was underpowered for that particular road? She's lucky she didn't hit the other tractor trailer head on. I'd be nervous sharing roads with tractor trailers merging and all that.
z20k

Post by z20k »

The rider looked drunk to me.. :?
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

My gut says that this was a stunt... either way, if it was not, they should have kept the driver immobilized till EMS arrived.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Looks to me as if she was looking at something on the left (billboard maybe) and when learning everybody says "look where you want to go". I bet by the time she saw the truck she just froze up.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

sure looked like the bypass in Reno to me. Not pleasant to watch or think about. :(
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Aside from not falling asleep hill riding (or riding drunk, whatever) the one thing I hope everyone takes from this is that should you see a scooterist or biker go down, do not pick them up off the road! The driver ran out and scooped her up pretty quickly. The victim should be checked out where they fall (provided they're not in immediate danger).

And if it happens to you, don't move until you're sure you're okay. From personal experience, my first serious accident, I was in shock and buzzing from adrenaline so jumped up off the street and moved around. My shoulder felt a bit funny. It was an hour before I realized just how badly I was injured.

Second bad crash, I was older and wiser, ha. I had the wind knocked out of me, which was good because it kept me in place. After catching my breath, I wiggled fingers and toes, clenched my fists, slowly turned and nodded my head, then slowly lifted my arms and legs. Then I took my helmet off and looked to see if I'd hit my head. It was only after all that that I carefully got up off the street.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Yep. What Eric said.
Stay down until you know you are OK or leave another rider down until someone who knows what they are doing checks them out.

I had trouble getting up off the ground after my accident. I signed-off on the paramedics and rode home in a lot of pain. My back was killing me!

Ends up I landed on my left shoulder so hard it broke ribs in several places in my back where they come off the spine. Hurt like hell for more than a month. I never even thought about breaking ribs in the back until that accident. I always heard of dudes breaking them in the front.

You can't cough, laugh or even breath much with that crap going on. And don't even ask about sneezing. Oy.

Hope that rider ended up healthy.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I agree with the last 2 posts. In fact given no helmet or armor I was amazed at how quickly she recovered. In my recent road bike accident, not even remotely close to the intensity of this incident, I was pumping natural steroids, & refused to mOve until the ambulance arrived.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Tristik wrote:~~
First of all, why was some random civilian recording stuff from their dashboard?

Second of all, way to be a dumbass and not wear any protection driving in heavy traffic.
~~
Many insurance companies are now convincing people to willingly put cameras in their personal cars for MAJOR insurance discounts. All you have to give up is a little more of your personal freedom to save $40 a month. REAL big in Russia for a bit now. Other countries are experimenting with "required" cameras for habitual speeders.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

neotrotsky wrote:

~~
Many insurance companies are now convincing people to willingly put cameras in their personal cars for MAJOR insurance discounts. All you have to give up is a little more of your personal freedom to save $40 a month. REAL big in Russia for a bit now. Other countries are experimenting with "required" cameras for habitual speeders.
With progressive, you don't even need a camera. Just plug the snapshot device into that little plug under the dash and you can get big discounts - like magic!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:

~~
With progressive, you don't even need a camera. Just plug the snapshot device into that little plug under the dash and you can get big discounts - like magic!
Just what I *always* wanted /s

Hey, maybe they'll partner with Apple and get everyone to buy into these by plugging their shiny iDevice into it! That way EVERYONE will want to be tracked 24/7!!! "Insurance savings" for EVERYONE!

That Stella project without a ECU is looking more attractive every day...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
whale_hunter

Post by whale_hunter »

neotrotsky wrote:
Syd wrote:
neotrotsky wrote: Many insurance companies are now convincing people to willingly put cameras in their personal cars for MAJOR insurance discounts. All you have to give up is a little more of your personal freedom to save $40 a month. REAL big in Russia for a bit now. Other countries are experimenting with "required" cameras for habitual speeders.

Hey, maybe they'll partner with Apple and get everyone to buy into these by plugging their shiny iDevice into it! That way EVERYONE will want to be tracked 24/7!!! "Insurance savings" for EVERYONE!

Just wanted to say I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by the fact that we are now supposed to be ok with our every move being recorded and tracked by the government or some insurance company.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

avonpirate wrote:I agree with the last 2 posts. In fact given no helmet or armor I was amazed at how quickly she recovered.
That's part of why I was thinking maybe drugs or alcohol were involved. An amazing % of the time, people under the influence are in accidents they come out unscathed...though others (innocents, mostly) are injured, or die. :?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

whale_hunter wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:
Syd wrote: With progressive, you don't even need a camera. Just plug the snapshot device into that little plug under the dash and you can get big discounts - like magic!

Just wanted to say I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by the fact that we are now supposed to be ok with our every move being recorded and tracked by the government or some insurance company.
I'm no tin-foil hat, and I'm not as worried about the government as I am about some megacorp taking my data and making more money off of it. Remember: Government doesn't need to profit off of you. A corporation NEEDS to profit off of you. Anything you give freely is of use to them. That doesn't mean everything they give YOU has any value. And, they don't have laws to follow, and will not if they can get out of it.

anthony

Post by anthony »

whale_hunter wrote: Just wanted to say I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by the fact that we are now supposed to be ok with our every move being recorded and tracked by the government or some insurance company.
Not arguing for or against it, but I thought I'd point out that the Progressive "snapshot" program itself is voluntary, so whoever has it has willingly opted into it.

Also, what little understanding I have of it is that it tracks your "driving habits" which, I suppose could be considered personal information, but doesn't seem particularly invasive to me, considering that your driving habits are on display every time you get into/onto a vehicle. Having a gmail account and using google's search engine, which way more people do, is a hell of a lot more invasive.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I'm pretty sure she was passed out/ sleeping. look at the way she doesn't even react to being hit, and is totally limp until hitting the ground.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

anthony wrote:
whale_hunter wrote: Just wanted to say I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by the fact that we are now supposed to be ok with our every move being recorded and tracked by the government or some insurance company.
Not arguing for or against it, but I thought I'd point out that the Progressive "snapshot" program itself is voluntary, so whoever has it has willingly opted into it.

Also, what little understanding I have of it is that it tracks your "driving habits" which, I suppose could be considered personal information, but doesn't seem particularly invasive to me, considering that your driving habits are on display every time you get into/onto a vehicle. Having a gmail account and using google's search engine, which way more people do, is a hell of a lot more invasive.
"Oh, it's not so bad... it's just a *little* of my privacy and freedom"

It's that logic why I refuse to use my work's Google "apps" (more like data miners) for anything but what I am required to. I am fully aware every corporation will rape it's customers, but I try to at least pick the least offensive to me and keep it in house as best I can. That's about all consumers can do these days.

Right now, it's "voluntary", but mark my words: In a year, perhaps two, you'll find that in order to have Progressive insurance, they will slide this in as mandatory.

It's my car, and I bought it with my cash. I don't need someone collecting data off of MY machine that *I* own. It's one of the biggest reasons I disliked Android: SO much tracking of every minor thing. Every OS does it, but Google is about the worst. Funny how their motto is "Don't be Evil".

Sorry... I just hate how people justify giving away personal freedoms to megacorps like it's OK, but then freak out and whine about the "evils" of government who ask for maybe a TENTH of the data and who charge the lowest income taxes in the G8. I'm just anti-corproate like that.

SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for that, since i don't have tv or cable any more, i miss the comedy of cable news.

As someone who works for a company that invades your privacy while in public...oh wait, it's in Public! you have no expectation of privacy. I find this to be comedy gold.

-duo
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:I'm pretty sure she was passed out/ sleeping. look at the way she doesn't even react to being hit, and is totally limp until hitting the ground.

-duo
Shear out right fear can cause some people to just 'freeze up' and not be able to react to an oncoming disaster. Shock sets in shortly after if the person survives.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Freezing up usually involves tensing up, not limpness. Though I suppose she could have fainted as her brain was overloaded with fear. But fear usually provokes a reaction, not lack of one.
whale_hunter

Post by whale_hunter »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for that, since i don't have tv or cable any more, i miss the comedy of cable news.

As someone who works for a company that invades your privacy while in public...oh wait, it's in Public! you have no expectation of privacy. I find this to be comedy gold.

-duo

As long as you collect a paycheck, that's all that really matters, right?

Sad...

SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

whale_hunter wrote:
SYMbionic Duo wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-duo

As long as you improve the human condition, that's all that really matters, right?
There, I fixed that for you. :wink:
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:The victim should be checked out where they fall (provided they're not in immediate danger).
This! The best way to help will be to alert other vehicles, make the scene visible and slow down the swarm. Once traffic is starting to bottleneck around the scene, it makes it much safer for the victim. Obviously that's not always possible though. Unless their airway is compromised, leave the helmet on. Wiggling someones head out of a helmet can potentially do more damage. EMS personnel are trained (at least most are, and hopefully they remember) how to properly remove a riders helmet safely.

regarding cameras....

All new emergency vehicles are being manufactured with data recording equipment and video cameras. My new pumper has a camera facing all 4 sides and the "black box" captures speeds, emergency light use, seatbelt use, turn signals, in-cab audio and obviously the video feeds. The information is able to be reviewed by the shift battalion chief, who mine happens to be a douche and likes to find reasons to grill his subordinates. It does however safeguard me as the operator in the event that I am in an accident and it needs to be sent to court. This is similar to the same equipment that aircraft and public transit vehicles have been using for years. I would be very in favor of the same devices on all new personal vehicles. Not a way for the "gub-a-mint" to track you, but a way to seize evidence in the event of an accident that causes major injury or death. Insurance fraud is way out of control, and drivers aren't held accountable for their actions. Someone who consistently drives like an asshole and finally kills someone should be charged with more then just reckless driving and getting their pee-pee slapped. This is not an "invasion of privacy" issue. If you chose to operate a vehicle on tax-payer funded roadways, then this technology should be required, the same way everyone has to pay taxes and register their vehicles.

Other than that rant, that's a shocking video, but at least the rider wasn't to the left another 3 feet. Good God!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

BootScootin,

Other than the video, all vehicles produced since 1996, and many since 1991, capture pre-crash information......5 seconds worth prior to air bag inflation.
This includes, seat belt usage, throttle position, brake apply, speed, and some other bits.
This came about to garner information that led to a air bag(s) deployment.

It can be accessed if the correct legal requests are made.

Rob