Buddy 125 vs Blackjack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

black sunshine

Buddy 125 vs Blackjack

Post by black sunshine »

so, I may be in the market for a new ride, sadly. i'm looking on Craigslist and there are some GREAT deals out there, actually :-) my question to you guys is . . . i have the big bore kit for the Buddy 125 (thankfully i did not install it before my bike got stolen!). i'm seeing good deals for Buddy 125s and for a couple of Blackjacks around here. my question is - which would be better performance/speed wise, a 125 that i add a pipe and the kit to, or the Blackjack?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Black Jack got my vote.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I'm going to guess that the 125 will outperform the Blackjack if you do the kit and pipe. You'll then have a 161, vs. the Blackjack's 150. So if it's purely best eventual performance you're looking for, do the 125. Personally, though, if i had a choice, I'd get the Blackjack.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

My only guess would be that at least the blackjack is working as designed.

No clue what the stats are on longevity for kitted bikes, probably just as good if you are knowledgeable. Since I'm not any good at wrenching, I tend to err on the side of caution.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Blackjack also has upgraded suspension and front brake.
The suspension gets my vote for the BJ. It would cost a lot to add the components in order to get the same ride from the 125.

I rode a Blackjack once and the ride was a significant improvement over stock.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Solely on engine performance, a kitted 125 with the big head will beat any of the 150s—even those with performance mods. The fastest Buddys I have seen and ridden have all been modified 125s and head-to-head, I've seen them outperform stock and modified 150s. I'm sure someone could build a Buddy 150 that would outrun a kitted 125 (with transmission mods) but comparing scoots with standard installations of common, off the shelf parts, the 125 will win. If you kitted one that had the gearing of the Psycho, holy crap, lookout!

The BlackJack does have a lot of other benefits (suspension, brakes) and performs well. I don't know that you could expect much more from a stock, sub-200cc, carbureted scooter with 10" wheels.

So, if it was me and I had the kit and was willing to do a performance clutch and variator, I'd go for the 125.

If I didn't have the kit and was going to keep it mostly stock (or just with the mods that come factory installed), the BlackJack.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Given the choice you are facing, I would go for the Blackjack. I'm not a fan of engine mods on scooters, as they often involve lots of TLC tweaking and can cause issues. So my mods are all non-engine related stuff.

I know, I know, some people are all about the mods, and some (I don't know the percentage, maybe it's the majority of them) have had awesome luck with it. Just not a gamble I feel comfortable taking. With my luck I'd end up stranded out in the middle of nowhere, or next to the freeway if I tried anything like that.

I really like those Blackjacks, and if one had been available when I bought my last black Buddy, I would have jumped on it (no pun intended). :D
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

well, all of that being said, knowing myself i'm probably going to go for the 125. i have never been one to shy from mods due to the long-term effects - it's why i have an Android phone instead of iPhone :D

but we'll see . . . gotta call the detective and see if he found my scoot in the impound!
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

The 125 is faster because it has a longer stroke (60mm vs 57.8mm) this translates to more torque.

The 150 will hold hills and top speed better because of more displacement.

If you stay in town, and don't take highways, the 125 is better.

If you do a lot of high speed highway type driving the BJ is better.

for ~$700 you can get the pipe, big disk brake, and suspension upgrades that the BJ has.

If the price diff is > $700, totally get the 125.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

black sunshine wrote: i'm probably going to go for the 125. i have never been one to shy from mods due to the long-term effects
Glad we could clear it up for you. :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:The 125 is faster because it has a longer stroke (60mm vs 57.8mm) this translates to more torque.

The 150 will hold hills and top speed better because of more displacement.
Which is why 125 with 161 kit is the way to go! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…