Scooter won't start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Pflower001

Scooter won't start

Post by Pflower001 »

So, I went back to work this month (teacher here) which sadly means I haven't given my pink princess road time in about a month. I went to ride her and she wouldn't start. I have never had this problem. She turns over but won't catch. I took out the battery and charged it and she still won't start. What to do?
phatch

Post by phatch »

Hey, I'm a teacher, too! :)

This same thing literally just happened to me today. Know what it took to get it started? I opened up that hatch in the pet carrier and wiggled tubing around with my left hand while holding the brake, hitting the starter and pulling the throttle with my right hand. For whatever reason, it started.

You might want to check your spark plug, though...? Pics here:
viewtopic.php?t=20718&highlight=spark+plug+cap
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Unscrew the spark plug. Plug it back into the cable. Hold it next to the frame and hit the starter.
Are you getting spark?
Could be as simple as that.

Was it having a hard time idling before this happened?
It could be the stator.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Try giving it a little gas while you're cranking and be persistent - don't give up too quickly. She might just need a bit of encouragement. Just make sure you are either on the scooter, or that it's on the center stand with the back tire off the ground while you do that. You don't want her to go lurching forward when the engine kicks in.

(Thanks for being teachers, pflower and phatch!)
Pflower001

Post by Pflower001 »

Oh dear Jesus! I am such a girl, this looks veeeeery complicated!
Pflower001

Post by Pflower001 »

Phatch, what do you teach?
phatch

Post by phatch »

Pflower001 wrote:Phatch, what do you teach?
Music! And you?
Pflower001

Post by Pflower001 »

Oh my goodness! Phatch, I tried what you did, and woohoo! She is up and running again. Just jiggled the wires a bit. She was a bit rough for the first 30 secs, but then she was smooth as silk again. My, these are temperamental lil' buggers sometimes! guess, I won't leave her lonely for long stretches again!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Well, that was... Scientific.

But I'm glad you're both on the road. :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Pflower001

Post by Pflower001 »

Oh, and I teach mild/mod special Ed. Biology and I coach cheer. Since my kids are mild/mod they are still diploma bound and have to take all the same classes, just in sdc. I work in a low income urban area, so it is mostly gang kids with learning disabilities or emotional disturbance with some high functioning aut kids thrown in for good measure ;) Did you just go back this week or did you go back early like me?
Last edited by Pflower001 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

thats justice.
guys need to whip out the tools.
and girls just have to wiggle the wires.
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Nobody mentioned the "kill" switch on the right handlebar.....ALWAYS check that first, then other stuff....

Karl
fossel

Post by fossel »

You might want to put 1 or 2 oz of seafoam in your gas ,If you have good a good charge.It wouldnt hurt if your not riding alot.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

fossel wrote:You might want to put 1 or 2 oz of seafoam in your gas ,If you have good a good charge.It wouldnt hurt if your not riding alot.
I 2nd what fossel said and if you add a bit to much Seafoam to your gas it wont hurt anything.I mean by accident or something.

Lastly after adding Seafoam I would run or ride your scooter for a few miles so that the Seafoam can work thoroughly thru the gas/gas lines.

Have Fun!
Aerosmith, None Other.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

CROSSBOLT wrote:Nobody mentioned the "kill" switch on the right handlebar.....ALWAYS check that first, then other stuff....

Karl
That was ruled out when she said it "turns over but won't catch". At least on the Buddy, it won't do that when the kill switch is off. If it were a Kymco, that would be something to check.