the nut on my Buddy 125 right mirror not threading properly

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bimbom

the nut on my Buddy 125 right mirror not threading properly

Post by bimbom »

This is probably a result of me tightening the right mirror too hard one day, but recently I found the right mirror kept becoming loose after riding in some wind.

Today I found I had to take it off because otherwise it was just flailing around in the wind. So I rode with just my left mirror today. When I rode through the EZ-pass to the Holland tunnel today, I saw a cop looking at me like something was wrong but he couldn't pinpoint it.

Obviously I can't ride like this so I need to either buy a mirror at a scooter store, or order online. OR salvage my current one.. here is the problem:

If you take the mirror off your Buddy completely, the nut on the bottom of the mirror is supposed to be able to unscrew completely off the mirror. On mine, it is stuck near the top because it's not catching on the thread for some reason. Seems a waste to have to get a new one just because of that, but it's preventing me from being able to tighten it at the proper angle.

I tried putting some wd40 oil to see if i could lubricate it into threading. I also tried dripping some water in the thread and then freezing it overnight, on the offchance that the expanding would allow me to magically get it back into place.

I was thinking of ordering the pair of black mirrors from scooterworks ($45 with shipping for the pair). I have a white Buddy and think the black mirrors would look nicer than chrome. Not sure what they would cost at the Vespa shop in NYC (assuming more?). Or if it's fixable I could save $.

If you see me in NYC this week with a white Buddy and 1 left mirror , that's me.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Which way were you turning it? Isn't the right side reverse-threaded?
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Hwarang wrote:Which way were you turning it? Isn't the right side reverse-threaded?
It is- that was my thought too.
bimbom

Post by bimbom »

Nope its definitely "off" the thread because i can turn it either direction and it doesn't go anywhere. Anyway I ordered a new pair of black ones for $45 (including shipping).
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

The loose nut on my Buddy 125 is usually sitting on the seat. :D
scooterchelle

Post by scooterchelle »

I am having the same issues with my right mirror. How did the new mirror work out for you?
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

now there is something you dont say much in public.
I'm having problems with my buddys nuts.
bimbom

Post by bimbom »

all kidding aside, new mirrors working great and plus I think the black looks better. will post a picture soon..
bimbom

Post by bimbom »

pictures, as promised: