stella 4T strange buzzing/rattling noise

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tack One.

stella 4T strange buzzing/rattling noise

Post by Tack One. »

I believe it's coming from the front end (perhaps inside the horn cast), but there's a chance it could be the exhaust (maybe)

mostly in lower gears and when decelerating I hear a vibrating buzzing noise that's getting worse, as though something is loose in the front end of the bike. any suggestions on easy places to check before bringing it to the dealer. if it's a simple twist or a wrist I'd prefer to just hunt and peck it myself than pay the idiot tax for something really simple.

that being said, if you think I'm close to the front wheel falling off and dying let me know and I'll buzz up there ASAP.

thanks for any tips.

cheers

d.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

It's not your toolbox door is it ? That tends to rattle a fair bit.
Tack One.

Post by Tack One. »

no, I really don't think so, but it's possible. it doesn't sound like it's getting worse and started suddenly.

just to be positive I'll take all the crap out of the glove box, and add some soft tape or something to the door to see if that stops it.

any other suggestions welcome though
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Empty the tool box go for a ride and while you are riding push one of your knees against the tool box door to see if it stops.

If its more of a plasticky vibrating noise it could be your head set top.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Oh and check its not your stand springs.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Check the front fender. There's a screw on the fork side which bolts the side of the fender to the fork. There are also screws in the top of the fender where the fork passes through it. The ones on top are usually fine, but the bolt on the side tends to work loose and pop out. If it's there, make sure it's secure. Might put some blue Loctite on the threads if you have to tighten or replace that screw.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
viney266

Post by viney266 »

front fender and spring inside the glove box are the 2 most likely offenders.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
listless

rattlin' stella

Post by listless »

I am having the same exact issue and the rattling is driving me crazy. I'm also not sure if it is front-end or exhaust (under feet) but it is worst when I let off the throttle as it revs down.

I'll check the front fender today. I removed the centerstand springs completely last weekend for a test drive and that wasn't the issue.

I have spend tons of time trying to avoid the 2+ hour (each way) drive to a dealership, but I have found several loose things in the process, most notably the nuts holding on the rear wheel and the completely missing nut from the very long bolt holding the engine and rear wheel to the body (vibrated out partially but luckily stopped by the spare tire).

It's really hard to tell where the sound is coming from. After a year of ownership I'm used to drawing attention, especially with the sidecar attached, but I don't like the reason for it recently.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I get this. I have, a couple times, completely torn down the front of my LX to hunt down creaks and squeaks and try to eliminate them.

I crawled under my rattling Stella a few months ago with my ratchet and extension and tightened up every bolt I could find on the front end. It still rattles a bit, but I know that it's my keys, toolkit and assorted junk in the glovebox.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

I've noticed that the front brake line also tends to rattle...especially once the rubber o-ring that sits in the hole through the fender falls out.
Tack One.

Post by Tack One. »

yes, I noticed that the brake cable hole in the fender has lost it's rubber ring. I tried to shove it back into the hole without success. I didn't try all that hard though.
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Tack One. wrote:yes, I noticed that the brake cable hole in the fender has lost it's rubber ring. I tried to shove it back into the hole without success. I didn't try all that hard though.
same...i haven't given it the requisite hour of prying, cursing, and general-feeling-like-a-cro-magnon-solving-a-problem-for-the-first-time-ever that I'm sure it will require to get it back in place.
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

OK, I tracked down one of the rattles. I have cowl crash bars installed and one of the front bolts was loose. I still have a rattle and I will check all of my nuts and bolts over the entire bike. :wink:

Mike
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

mikeyb wrote:OK, I tracked down one of the rattles. I have cowl crash bars installed and one of the front bolts was loose. I still have a rattle and I will check all of my nuts and bolts over the entire bike. :wink:

Mike
I think the unwritten rule is that one must have a few screws loose in order to enjoy riding Stella's and old Vespas. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
listless

Post by listless »

I definitely have a screw loose.

I started by removing all added chrome. I'm still out of luck. I really think mine is something rattling inside the exhaust, but I don't want to remove it. Anyone have that happen?

I'll suffer through the noise for rides in the fall colors (have 2-3 good ones planned) and then get it looked at. A warranty is nice to have, but dropping off my scooter 2 hours away isn't so great.
XcruckX

Post by XcruckX »

I had this problem too for about a week and i found my problem was the front brake line (or speedo line?) and the rubber thing holding it in. The rubber thing had popped out and the line had been rattling around in the hole.

The funny thing was i thought it was coming from behind me so when i was problem shooting i was looking all over the backend of the scoot for loose pieces. I found somethings but nothing too loose to rattle. it was just dumb luck i checked under the front fender.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

listless wrote:I definitely have a screw loose.

I started by removing all added chrome. I'm still out of luck. I really think mine is something rattling inside the exhaust, but I don't want to remove it. Anyone have that happen?

I'll suffer through the noise for rides in the fall colors (have 2-3 good ones planned) and then get it looked at. A warranty is nice to have, but dropping off my scooter 2 hours away isn't so great.
Look carefully at the exaust pipes where the stabilizing brackets are welded, pipe to pipe.
Eric has been chasing a rattle and found cracks at his welds.
Other members have experienced the same failure and it ended up being a exaust replacement under warranty.

Rob
pesce

Post by pesce »

I brought my4t to the shop for service. At the test drive, the shop owner was so concerned about the rattle he had his mechanic look at it. I guess After reading this forum I thought it was normal. He said none of the 2012's he has make that noise. They fixed it mostly. Was something with the exhaust
listless

Post by listless »

Thanks. After all the investigation I have done, I have been expecting that I'm up for an exhaust replacement under warranty as well. I just made an appointment.

I gotta get in one more group ride next weekend and then I'll drop it at the dealer. It works fine, just a bit louder than I'd like.

I'll report back after the fix if this was the same problem or something different.
Tack One.

Post by Tack One. »

guess I better check my exhaust a bit more closely now. :)

what should I look for? is it obvious or subtile if a weld it cracked?
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Usually you will see a line of rust at the crack or fracture.

There are small brackets welded pipe to pipe to stabilize the assembly......either a poor weld or the brackets are too thin and they work harden and crack.
Because the bracket pieces still touch you will hear a vibration at certain RPM levels.

Rob
listless

Post by listless »

My elusive rattling/buzzing problem stopped abruptly this weekend. All was fine for about 30 miles and then I felt like I was riding a Harley with a very loud pipe for another 30 miles home.

Not the same place as others, but definately the exhaust. No wonder my right heel kept feeling hot.[/img]
Tack One.

Post by Tack One. »

Robbie wrote:Usually you will see a line of rust at the crack or fracture.

There are small brackets welded pipe to pipe to stabilize the assembly......either a poor weld or the brackets are too thin and they work harden and crack.
Because the bracket pieces still touch you will hear a vibration at certain RPM levels.

Rob
sound like what I'm experiencing. I'll check a lot more closely, my 20 second bend and squint didn't reveal much
billnordwall

Post by billnordwall »

Robbie wrote:Usually you will see a line of rust at the crack or fracture.

Rob
This happened to my 2012 4T about 1500 miles in due to a bad weld in one of the brackets. Definitely a simple fix (and fortunately in-warranty for me).