Greasy & Grimy Rear Scooter Wheel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rick71454

Greasy & Grimy Rear Scooter Wheel

Post by rick71454 »

Hello Buddyland:

My Buddy 125 rear wheel, not the tire part, gets covered with grease and grime after a few weeks. I imagine it is coming out of the engine gaskets somewhere. So of course, I clean it up.

Is this normal? Does you rear wheel get caked with grease and grime like I describe?

rick71454
Portland Oregon USA
NeoGenesisMax

Needs a photo

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

We need to see what you're talking about. My rear wheel gets dirtier than the front but its all regular road filth.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

It could be gear oil. If the gear oil gets overfilled it will leak out onto the wheel as you describe. Have you tried cleaning the oil off the wheel so you can tell if it is still accumulating or if the leak has stopped?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

+1 that too much gear oil could be the problem.

I had it all over my rear wheel and tire too...turned out the mechanic had overfilled it--when I drained it out to check (very easy to do), it was just shy of 5 ounces, and it should have 90cc, which is 3.04 US fluid ounces.

From what I understand, this happens quite frequently (a mechanic overfilling it). :(