Almost hit today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

persephonelily

Almost hit today

Post by persephonelily »

So I am cruising along at my top speed of 40 when this guy in the right hand land starts to merge into my lane. Only problem; I'm IN the space he wants to merge into. He seemed to think there was enough room, and so he just started drifting over, flipped on his signal halfway into the lane. I started honking and screaming for him to get over as he inched me further and further into the breakdown lane. I'm gesturing with my "wavin' finger" and screaming at him to get over and he doesn't even glance over in my direction. Unreal. So, I finally get around him somehow (I have no idea how; it's all a blur) without dumping or hitting the side of his monster truck (or so it seemed in my eyes) and make my turn. I haven't gone 100 yards and he's right next to me in the next lane again! He barely gets past me when he starts drifting across my lane and into the turn lane on my right. No signal this time at all. The light is red so I stop, but he just sort of slows slightly while heading into direct traffic and makes his right turn. This guy is going to kill someone; I'm just glad it wasn't me today. If he had hit me? "Sorry, officer. I never saw her."
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

whew!
Riding is riding
phatch

Post by phatch »

Guy sounds like a real winner :roll:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

glad you're OK!

In such situations, I usually forget I just need to tap the brakes and let them go in front, where they can get a great view of my finger...
easy

Post by easy »

Lifted trk syndrome every once and a while I get 1 that tries to bully me around when I'm in a 18 wheeler I just smile at them they brake or ride the shoulder
what did you trade the day for?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

skully93 wrote:glad you're OK!

In such situations, I usually forget I just need to tap the brakes and let them go in front, where they can get a great view of my finger...
Truf
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Glad you're all right and still with us! Too bad you didn't have a socket wrench *accidentally* fly out of your bin and strike his windshield.

"Golly Officer, the force of my braking to avoid this gentleman running into my scooter when he crossed into my lane must have caused the wrench to leave my person. Shucks."

//I know, I know. We leave "payback" to karma lest we end us killing each other...
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Glad you escaped!

Sadly, this is a near-daily occurrence for me. Commuting to and from work has become less and less enjoyable over the past 3 or 4 years as drivers have become more distracted and hurried.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Brakes! That's what I forgot! :lol:

Seriously, I know I probably should have just braked and let him in, but I had another guy close behind the last time I checked, and since the husband crashed due to hitting his brakes hard, I am hesitant to really jam them. Next time, I will remember to let idiots have the right of way and live to ride another day *begins cross stitching that into a sampler*

Believe me, I considered the wrench approach!

And yes, my commute seems to be filled with these little occurrences. Almost 3 months 6 days a week, and the only time I'm not annoyed by traffic is Sunday morning. Sigh. It's the price we pay to share the road, I guess.
easy

Post by easy »

Sunday mornings are dangerous in the Bible belt
what did you trade the day for?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I always forget that often I can to a quick mirror check ,drop back, and let the twit come on over. That got me into trouble before out of panic.

Of course it isn't always applicable, but never hurts to try!
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

easy wrote:Sunday mornings are dangerous in the Bible belt
Sunday's can be a dangerous time to ride near churches. It the same scene each Sunday. No sooner does service end and church-goers forget what they just learned and race each other to the parking lot exit to be the first one out. :lol:
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

TroutBum wrote:
Sunday's can be a dangerous time to ride near churches. It the same scene each Sunday. No sooner does service end and church-goers forget what they just learned and race each other to the parking lot exit to be the first one out. :lol:
Amen to that! And it always amazes me how angry church people seem to be coming away from their spiritual moment.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

It's because that little cracker and a sip of wine don't satisfy the stomach!

Whenever I was forced to attend as kid, I understood it was polite to listen and participate, so I was quiet, but man was I hungry!

If I do riding on Sundays it's either really early or really late, because people just can not drive on Sundays, regardless of where they are going.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

jmer1234 wrote:
TroutBum wrote:
Amen to that! And it always amazes me how angry church people seem to be coming away from their spiritual moment.
Gotta hurry back for kick off time. Duh... :P
96 Decibel Freaks