$10,000 Question?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

$10,000 Question?

Post by JHScoot »

Which one would you buy, and why? Silverwing vs NC700s. But its not a Battle Royale or anything. :P

Simple question, and for those who ride cycles and scooters, please elaborate somewhat more. This bike would be used for urban commuting in SoCal and its local freeways :)

Last edited by JHScoot on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Riding is riding
phatch

Post by phatch »

Get that streetfighter!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

it is sexier, yes. but is sexy everything? :nerd:
Riding is riding
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

I'd get the top one, but only because it looks like I could take a passenger more comfortably if I wanted to with that one. I know nothing about brand or style.
z20k

Post by z20k »

I'd go with a burgman. :P
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

They're completely opposite.
It all depends on what is comfortable when you sit on it. D
Do you like (or mind) shifting, do you want to ride sitting upright or a little bit bent over, will you be riding solo most of the time..etc, etc.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Tocsik wrote:They're completely opposite.
It all depends on what is comfortable when you sit on it. D
Do you like (or mind) shifting, do you want to ride sitting upright or a little bit bent over, will you be riding solo most of the time..etc, etc.
well you see both have auto's, and both are Honda. both around the same price, and i sat on both over the weekend

the Silverwing "fit" well. felt real good sitting on it, unlike some other maxi's i have tried

the NC700 felt good, too. and the seating position is fairly upright. guy pulled it out for me so i could sit on it and toss it side to side. felt nice
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I like both ,but for 10k I am buying a true motorcycle I think :P.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

skully93 wrote:I like both ,but for 10k I am buying a true motorcycle I think :P.
well if i do go with one of these i can reason the MC would be easier to trade for just about ANY scooter i want if i don't care for the MC after a bit. i am a scooter rider, after all :)

or i could just go Silverwing right off, never flirt with the motorcycle world again, and ride the Swing to my grave

i have read the Silverwing is super easy to maintain and DIY oil, filters, coolant, valves, spark plugs...all are easy to get at, they say. i like that :)
Riding is riding
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Tough. To be completely honest, I like the idea of maxi scooters for cruising... but most of them, I just hate how they look.

The NC700 is pretty damn sexy.

For the size of the bike, the price points we're talking about, and how easy it'll be to work on, I'd have to vote for the NC700... at least you won't have panels and stuff to take off every time you need to change oil or a plug. You already have a scoot... if you want to try a MC out, go for it. UNLESS you have a cupcake joining you frequently. It doesn't look like a great cupcake ride to me.

But it's pretty...
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

LunaP wrote:Tough. To be completely honest, I like the idea of maxi scooters for cruising... but most of them, I just hate how they look.

For the size of the bike, the price points we're talking about, and how easy it'll be to work on, I'd have to vote for the NC700... at least you won't have panels and stuff to take off every time you need to change oil or a plug. You already have a scoot... if you want to try a MC out, go for it. UNLESS you have a cupcake joining you frequently. It doesn't look like a great cupcake ride to me.

But it's pretty...
Ah, I see the sexy sweet bike is the Honda auto. So, I'm changing my answer to "what LunaP said". If it were me, and I had the money, I would go for the NC700. But that's me. Do what makes sense for you.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Tocsik wrote:
LunaP wrote:Tough. To be completely honest, I like the idea of maxi scooters for cruising... but most of them, I just hate how they look.

But it's pretty...
Ah, I see the sexy sweet bike is the Honda auto. So, I'm changing my answer to "what LunaP said". If it were me, and I had the money, I would go for the NC700. But that's me. Do what makes sense for you.
well i have never rode an MC before so i am trying to figure "which makes sense" for me. i do not want a dramatically different riding experience from my scooters, but i figure a big maxi might give me one, anyway. so why not an auto MC?

hmm
Riding is riding
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I would want an MC, especially since this one is automatic. I would likely get a Silverwing because MC would be just for me. The silverwing is made for a comfortable ride for 2, If I ever would want to take my kiddo riding with me it would need to be silverwing. My other issue would be the height of the MC. I am a "shortie". Anything that has seat height over 28" is an issue for me. I can't flatfoot
Last edited by Stormswift on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
easy

Post by easy »

I have been looking at the NC700 on line I thought all they had in the states was the NC700x. They say its a great starter bike but as bikes goes its very low rpm its actually half a car engine. It gets scooter like fuel milage and the tank is actually storage big enough for a helment
what did you trade the day for?
BoneGirl

Scooter

Post by BoneGirl »

The storage capacity and the comfortable ride of the Silverwing would be my choice hands down. If you are spending that money, not sure why it is easier to justify a motorcycle over a scooter :?

I love the comfy couch of the Silverwing, hands down.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

I'd go with the sexy NC700x.
It's got plenty of storage to start and you can add alot more if needed.
Also the NC gets better gas mileage, plus is more powerful and comes in auto.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The SWing as a commuter for comfort and storage. But yeah....I would go with the Burgman.

Honda's are good but to me....just kinda boring.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Wing, hands down. More power than I'll ever need/use, and I like the smooth elegant shape.

Don't like the NC700 one iota. To me it looks like a slightly crumpled letter "W" on wheels. Also don't care for that "hump the tank" look.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If those were my only two options? The NC700. Probably a heckuva lot more fun to ride.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The NT700v would be more likely to tempt me as an alternative to the 'wing. But we all like what calls to us :wink: .
Attachments
NT700 (Small).jpg
NT700 (Small).jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Last edited by Dooglas on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Then there is the Integra if Honda would just bring it to the states.
Attachments
Honda_Integra (Small).jpg
Honda_Integra (Small).jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
easy

Post by easy »

that Integra doesnot look like a scooter to me, ugly motorcycle maybe Silverwing over that for sure
what did you trade the day for?
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Honest opinion? 7 grand would buy a new ninja 250r, and a really nice used Stella. A scooter motor stuffed into a Goldwing body, or a scooter motor stuffed into a sport bike just doesn't interest me. I'm not much for maxi scooters (just buy a sport touring bike an get it over with). I also don't fancy an automatic sport bike (oh look, a scooter that people won't think is a scooter- now people will think I'm a bad ass).

Final answer to your question: doesn't matter to me, I'll ride a hot pink moped with fringe and a white basket on the handlebars if that is all I can afford. :D
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Stitch wrote:Honest opinion? 7 grand would buy a new ninja 250r, and a really nice used Stella. A scooter motor stuffed into a Goldwing body, or a scooter motor stuffed into a sport bike just doesn't interest me. I'm not much for maxi scooters (just buy a sport touring bike an get it over with). I also don't fancy an automatic sport bike (oh look, a scooter that people won't think is a scooter- now people will think I'm a bad ass).

Final answer to your question: doesn't matter to me, I'll ride a hot pink moped with fringe and a white basket on the handlebars if that is all I can afford. :D
250r or touring bike? well i don't shift and until i do i can't ride one of those. and if i did shift i doubt i would like to very much

i understand its a mc that has scooter attributes. thats why i like it. i also understand the Silverwing can run with mc's. thats why i like that. but i am not going to get two motorcycles to do the job of one scooter / scootercycle

i have thought of what 8 or 9 or 10 grand would buy, though. like an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 and a SYM HD200. if a bit of a deal on one or the other or both. maybe one slightly used? but, 10 grand could get me there one way or another!
Riding is riding
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

What is the weight of each bike?

I highly suggest riding both as that can tell you what no one here can.If the Dealer you went to doesnt allow test rides maybe find another whom does.

Thats the thing these 2 bikes are different enough that one should really stand out to you.

Good luck!
Aerosmith, None Other.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'd wait a bit, save a few more $, and get this.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

JHScoot wrote:
Stitch wrote:Honest opinion? 7 grand would buy a new ninja 250r, and a really nice used Stella. A scooter motor stuffed into a Goldwing body, or a scooter motor stuffed into a sport bike just doesn't interest me. I'm not much for maxi scooters (just buy a sport touring bike an get it over with). I also don't fancy an automatic sport bike (oh look, a scooter that people won't think is a scooter- now people will think I'm a bad ass).

250r or touring bike? well i don't shift and until i do i can't ride one of those. and if i did shift i doubt i would like to very much

i understand its a mc that has scooter attributes. thats why i like it. i also understand the Silverwing can run with mc's. thats why i like that. but i am not going to get two motorcycles to do the job of one scooter / scootercycle

i have thought of what 8 or 9 or 10 grand would buy, though. like an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 and a SYM HD200. if a bit of a deal on one or the other or both. maybe one slightly used? but, 10 grand could get me there one way or another!
I didn't say you should. I said I would. You should get whatever feels right to you. People can offer suggestions, but the only opinion that matters is yours.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote:I'd wait a bit, save a few more $, and get this.
Well, if you are going to get that creative :wink: , I'd save a few more dollars and get this. (okay, quite a few more dollars)
Attachments
Morgan.jpg
Morgan.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

z20k wrote:I'd go with a burgman. :P
BuddyRaton wrote:The SWing as a commuter for comfort and storage. But yeah....I would go with the Burgman.

Honda's are good but to me....just kinda boring.
A Suzuki dealer near me has a new 650 Burgman for a great price. You guys are tempting me bad. :twisted:
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I'd rather get the NCX with the manual gearbox, but then again it's probably too tall for me :(
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: $10,000 Question?

Post by jrsjr »

JHScoot wrote:Which one would you buy, and why? Silverwing vs NC700s. But its not a Battle Royale or anything. :P

Simple question, and for those who ride cycles and scooters, please elaborate somewhat more. This bike would be used for urban commuting in SoCal and its local freeways :)
I ride a Silverwing. It's a completely competent, comfy bike for the freeway. The ergos are a little short for me, but I'm 6'3". I've thrown a leg over an NC, but have not ridden one. I thought the NC's ergos are a little short, too. The NC gets better gas mileage, but they both get good gas mileage. The Silverwing has built-in under-seat storage. The NC does not. Adding a trunk to the NC is going to make throwing a leg over it much harder for an old guy like me. I like being able to step through the Silverwing. Blah. Blah. Blah. I could go on and on, but here's what I think is the single most important distinction between the two bikes - riding stance. The Silverwing's riding stance is a laid-back almost recumbent ride with the rider's legs out in front of them. The NC's riding stance is much more aggressive. On the NC, you're up on top of a light sporty motorcycle with your feet up under you and your elbows out, quite the opposite of the Silverwing.

If you were really choosing between the two, get a used Silverwing. They're cheap. Where I live, you can find a really nice example these days for $3000.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Me...if I was strong enough to muscle it around, I'd get the Silverwing. Looks MUCH more comfortable for long trips, and my bad back would rebell immediately if I even THOUGHT about getting something where I would not have posturally (sp?) correct seating.

Plus, swinging my leg over anything, well, just doesn't work as well as it used to. I could see myself after a long day trying to get on or off a motorcycle and either kicking it over and following it as my heel would be caught on the seat, or pulling it over after me...neither being very pleasant thoughts.

Plus it looks like there's much more storage available on the Swing...super nice for riding to work in the winter, or going to Costco, which I tend to do with all my scooters... :P
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Dooglas wrote:Then there is the Integra if Honda would just bring it to the states.
That is one nice looking bike. :D