Selmer to Springfield

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CROSSBOLT

Selmer to Springfield

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Took a trip from Selmer, TN to Springfield, MO to see some trikes for the wife. She rode her Buddy 150 and I rode my Kymco Yager. On these were four dogs, one bird and the travel bag. We rode the ferry from Hickman, KY to the other side of the Mississippi River and then to Sikeston, MO. That was about 200 miles that first day. Got Lambert's "throwed rolls" take-out and stayed in the Motel 6 for the night. The next morning, Monday, the back tire on the Buddy was flat. There are a coupla bike/ATV shops in Sikeston but being a Monday none were open. So we "slimed" the back tire and rode off to Springfield. The tire did well all the trip and did not go flat until we got to the motel. What a blessing! Went to Ozark Powersports the next morning and got a Kenda blackwall tubeless for a replacement. I must say at this point that tubes in these little wheels are NOT a good idea since the heat failed the tube at the valve stem. I must also say the Ozark was great but I already knew that having dealt with them before. The Kenda looks a little out of place but the Shinko's only took tubes and I did not want ot go there again.

That afternoon we hit the scooter dealer(s) that supposedly had three wheelers. They had some customer's trikes but none to ride even though we rode up on scooters. Seems they are afraid of liability. The trip was not a bust as we did other things llike Bass Pro and rode to Branson to visit with friends that were show hopping there. Also went to Hollister Cycle for HiFloFiltro oil filters. That afternoon we made about 50 miles to Mansfield, MO for an overnight. Highway US 60 from Springfield to Sikeston is, for the most part, smooth as glass and a real pleasure to ride. MODOT has ground down the old concrete in preparation for asphalt. It might be mostly dull four-lane but there are not enough "o's" in "smooooth" to describe the ride.

This was a little over 800 miles total and both bikes worked flawlessly, except for the tire event, of course. Neither used any oil nor missed a beat. The only thing about the Buddy is the gas tank is too small for this kind of traveling. It will go 100+ miles with a little reserve but that really is too short a distance since the Yager does 200 miles with a substantial reserve. Good trip. She seems interested in the Blur for a little more power, Bigger gas tank, longer wheelbase and bigger tires.

Karl
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Wow CROSSBOLT that sounds like some mighty fine fun the wife and you had.Thats what I call living life,it doesnt get any better.

As usual we will ask,did you take any photos? Pics speak a thousand words!

Please keep us updated on further trips should you take more trips.

I was going to suggest looking into an auxiliary gas tank for the Buddy but if your looking at a Blur I guess one isnt needed huh.There have been scooter owners on Modern Vespa who have added a second gas tank to further their mileage and I recall they liked it.Not sure if any Buddy owners have added one.

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The thing with the Buddy is that if you're riding hard, at full throttle, you should stop every 100 or so miles to let it cool down and rest for a few. So in some ways, the tank size is just right for this scoot!

Many people have done long distance touring on Buddies by now and it's very capable. They just have to be ready for a different kind of trip than on a bigger machine with a longer range.

What's the appeal of trikes? I kind of don't get them…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Many people have done long distance touring on Buddies by now and it's very capable. They just have to be ready for a different kind of trip than on a bigger machine with a longer range.
Exactly. Some might even consider it a better kind. :)
JoshuaTree

Post by JoshuaTree »

That is one long ride and quite an adventure. I rode from Springfield to Branson and I thought that was long. I'm glad Tim at Ozark Power Sports took care of you guys. He is the best! That's where I got my Stella.
easy

Post by easy »

That's alot pets to take on a couple of scooters
what did you trade the day for?
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

I don't get it for trikes either especially in scooters. Some infirm people are still able to ride trikes and more power to 'em but she ain't infirm. I think the problem solved itself by so many conflicting opinion from the dealer and his no ride policy. Since he dealt only in chinese machines I was delerious when she was ready to leave. I think one needs to adapt to the machine.....

Pics may follow.

Karl
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

ericalm wrote:The thing with the Buddy is that if you're riding hard, at full throttle, you should stop every 100 or so miles to let it cool down and rest for a few. So in some ways, the tank size is just right for this scoot!

Many people have done long distance touring on Buddies by now and it's very capable. They just have to be ready for a different kind of trip than on a bigger machine with a longer range.

What's the appeal of trikes? I kind of don't get them…
Personally I find that I wouldn't want to keep riding after those 100 miles without stretching my legs a bit.

When I did the 900 miles to Amerivespa on the Stella I actually stopped every 50 miles (can do 75 on a tank before hitting reserve) to avoid getting caught with no gas in between stations. Stopping so often slowed the pace a bit but it kept the blood flowing and I was still riding 450 miles a day (at a top speed of 50 due to gear and headwinds) without hurting after 12 hours in the saddle. (I also had an Airhawk that a great friend let me borrow, which helped a lot).
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

I, we gotta stop every 20 to 50 miles since our "tanks" are smaller than the Buddy's!! Legs and hands need to wake up. Ya know, old folks!

Tim at Ozark IS great!

The Buddy 150 is pretty gutsy and both machines slowed on some of MO hills.

Karl
skully93

Post by skully93 »

phew!

How'd the pets handle that?

My cat is highly interested in the smells generated by scooters. He really likes them. I don't think he'd be so jazzed to be ON the scooter though.
stASH

Post by stASH »

And here I thought when people mentioned the "pet carrier" on their Buddy they were talking about the space under the seat. :lol:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ericalm wrote:What's the appeal of trikes? I kind of don't get them…
Now while the current crop of PRC-made trikes aren't that awesome, the old Honda Gyros were a lot of fun (especially the '85-'86 TG50 "Road Fox"). I think it's the tilting part that makes the bike. :)
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Pets are rarin' to go every time!

Karl
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

What kind of bird were you traveling with...?