80's style badge

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Who's interested??

I am
78%
Already have one (nope)
7%
Nope
15%

Total votes: 27

JoshWED

80's style badge

Post by JoshWED »

So I've been talking to some guys over on scooter central (including Zac...who started this whole craze a few years ago).

There seems to be renewed interest in the 80's style badges:

I wasn't able to get anyone to send me the original vector, but I created this guy today:

I'm in the process of getting a quote from EmblemArt.com ... but if anyone else wants to seek bids, I'm more than willing to share the vector graphic.

Will keep you all posted.

Josh[/img]
Last edited by JoshWED on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Awesome! My buddy has a pair for his bike. They look great (IMHVLO) and they're far more robust than the stock script.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I have a pair that I still have to put on my Stella but I might be in the market for more!
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

hoarders! i'm convinced there's still a pile of the last run somewhere that would be a lot less grief than making more... :twisted:
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

I would love to get a few of those!
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I' d buy 3!
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

I love the idea and I would be very interested as well but i think the vector could use some work.
don't mean to insult anyone here, but the typeface is incorrect. :-/ if you can't find the right one I would just take a large picture of the old one and trace a vector on top of it.

cheers mate,
Randy
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

i purposefully changed some elements of the last one...what don't you like?
double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

ah if you're not going for exact duplication of the 80's vespa font then there's no problem at all.
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

i don't think the 1st "reproduction" nails it either. (not to mention there is no L or T to go off of).

Waiting on the quote...and will keep playing around until then.
pesce

Post by pesce »

Will these work for the cowels as well?
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

JoshWED wrote:i don't think the 1st "reproduction" nails it either. (not to mention there is no L or T to go off of).

The font primavera has all the letters done properly
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

:clap:
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

pesce wrote:Will these work for the cowels as well?
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Quote is in.

Would be looking at somewhere between $7 and $11 per badge, based on the run size.

If there is continued interest in this (please vote in the poll above and leave comments below) I will set up a pay pal or visa payback type thing and move forward.
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

JoshWED wrote:Quote is in.

Would be looking at somewhere between $7 and $11 per badge, based on the run size.

If there is continued interest in this (please vote in the poll above and leave comments below) I will set up a pay pal or visa payback type thing and move forward.
3 for me!
Bcon

Post by Bcon »

I'm in for three.
2004 Stella
BMW F800ST
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Lokky wrote:
JoshWED wrote:i don't think the 1st "reproduction" nails it either. (not to mention there is no L or T to go off of).

With Lokky's help, here's the latest draft:

double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

that looks awesome!
if i had to knitpick, there's only three little things that could use some work:
1. the terminal (tops piece) on the lower case a should come out a bit more, you could also try slightly enlarging the counter (negative space).
2. the serif's on the lower case l's still seem a bit vertically fat. you could try reducing them and reducing the curvature between them and the stem (main section of the letter)
3. the terminal (little tail) on the lower case t is scrunched in a bit too much. You could re-extend the cross stroke like you had in your first attempt and stretch the terminal back out to meet it vertically.

props bro! its looking good.
Tom

Post by Tom »

What will they be made of? I'd be in for three if they aren't chromed plastic.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I might be in for some. I have a couple of the old ones!
double-o-soul wrote:that looks awesome!
if i had to knitpick, there's only three little things that could use some work:
1. the terminal (tops piece) on the lower case a should come out a bit more, you could also try slightly enlarging the counter (negative space).
2. the serif's on the lower case l's still seem a bit vertically fat. you could try reducing them and reducing the curvature between them and the stem (main section of the letter)
3. the terminal (little tail) on the lower case t is scrunched in a bit too much. You could re-extend the cross stroke like you had in your first attempt and stretch the terminal back out to meet it vertically.

props bro! its looking good.
+1

Primavera is probably not the best place to start—it's an attempt to build an entire typeface out of the letters in "vespa." Starting with a professional, better balanced face might be better because all the "t" and "l" are much better and the "s" and "a" are pretty close.

Check out Volta or Clarendon:
http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/singles/u ... ld_ot_std/

http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/downloads ... _expanded/

(I should have versions of these somewhere…)

The actual "Vespa" serif logo may be based in a typeface, but I haven't found an exact match. It's probably custom type. I can't imagine someone designing a "p" that goofy for anything else. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tack One.

Post by Tack One. »

I'd like one!

my stella has the chrome on chrome cowels so I think I'd just put it on the front.

I'll check back here for more info, or PM me with details please.
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

+1 to Clarendon. A little more extended/stretched. Better balanced, I think.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I've got a set of the ones StellaSpeed made a while back, I could lend you them or take pictures if it'd help any.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Any word on this? Still very interested. Been compiling a Stella build plan from spare parts at the club garage...
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

This is one of those instances when my mom said "if you can't say anything nice"......that being said a girl in my club has some and she loves them.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:This is one of those instances when my mom said "if you can't say anything nice"
That's funny, I remember someone taking 15 minutes to start his vintage P this past Sunday :P
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Lokky wrote:
DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:This is one of those instances when my mom said "if you can't say anything nice"
That's funny, I remember someone taking 15 minutes to start his vintage P this past Sunday :P
Fifteen minutes? was he trying to start it by hand? :shock:

Wow, I'm surprised if it takes more than three kicks to start on a cold morning. Two on a warm morning and one once the bike has been run. It's a Ducati CDI ignition; points went away on the P series.

JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

The gas could have been off, or the Ignition or Kill switch, or maybe the wiring fell apart and he lost spark.

Maybe his kicker fell off and he was trying to bump start it?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

JohnKiniston wrote:The gas could have been off, or the Ignition or Kill switch, or maybe the wiring fell apart and he lost spark.

Oh, a wiseguy!

Remind me the next time my bike acts up to drop it off at my buddy's place and let him deal with it. :wink:

Note: My kicker did snap off while leaving work one night. Bump started it within two tries.

The green "kill" wire to the CDI has failed before too, but I disconnected it to get by and repaired it before the next big ride. About 35% of that wire is now new. :lol:

EDIT: In response to the jab below, I expected the eventual failure of the OEM plug boot and had a brand-new NGK boot in the glovebox and swapped it out roadside in under five minutes. :D

Ride vintage, plan on crap breaking, carry spares and worry less! :lol:
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I'm just detailing the failure modes of the P-Series as I have seen them in person. :P

Forgot a failed spark-plug boot in the list.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Lokky wrote:
True, but you've seen the pics on FB. The oil injection lines were installed incorrectly or came loose, hence serious issues with fuel delivery. Let's not get confused either, mechanically, a Stella is virtually a PX. I'm just saying I don't care for the Stella badge in Vespa typeface. Keep it up Italian....I'll be raging hard at the Vintage rally this weekend while you'll be grading papers in your speedo! :P
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

JohnKiniston wrote:The gas could have been off, or the Ignition or Kill switch, or maybe the wiring fell apart and he lost spark.

Nah, I just rebuilt the bike and fuel delivery is still an issue. The thing floods all the time. Not work that I performed because I don't have the wrench for the fuel tap which was replaced for a euro style one. Lokky will be sorry when I have to save his ass on the side of the road when he experiences a breakdown and I go all MacGyver on his Stella.....shit, I already pulled all the front disk parts off his wrecked bike to do a conversion on mine. I helped rescue him that time, also found a friend with a trailer for when we were out riding and we BOTH almost went down in some camouflage gravel and he ended up wiping out, and most of all, he seems to forget how I've upped his lady game in this town by 500%. That's a true statistic as well. He also neglected to mention my P was a $600 basket case left outside to die for 15+ years after being asspolded by the PO. In 2-3 months I rebuilt the engine and have sorted most of the issues with it. http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic102160 when it's not flooded or the plug isn't fouled from running 3-4% oil on a new cylinder, it's a 2 kick bike. I'll see you at scoot club tonight Lokky....oh yes, I will see you!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Any news on this? Still very interested.

PressureDrop

Post by PressureDrop »

Glad to see someone giving this a go again. I got pretty burned out on stuff like this, but not everyone does!

FWIW, *I* did not start these the last 2 times around (from StellaSpeedForums) but it was mintwood :)
(that thread ended up 15 pages long, then there were a few more threads on the follow up rounds! heh)
ryanhennessy

Post by ryanhennessy »

Put me down for 3
PressureDrop

Post by PressureDrop »

who is this with a few extra? http://www.ebay.com/itm/150938254287
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

PressureDrop wrote:who is this with a few extra? http://www.ebay.com/itm/150938254287
Looks like it's Bosco. He used to be a dealer. Scooter dealer, that is.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
belopsky

Post by belopsky »

reviving an old thread, but anyone have one of these?
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

belopsky wrote:reviving an old thread, but anyone have one of these?
Contact Anthony at Ithica Scooters. I got one off of him this summer.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>