greasy seepage from under the passenger footrest RH side..

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Joker219

greasy seepage from under the passenger footrest RH side..

Post by Joker219 »

So I have a strange greasy black spot on and around my right side passenger foot rest, seems to be comming from where the foot rest meets the body panel, what ever it is it's dissolving the silver paint on my foot peg. There also seems to be a slight stain where the black plastic meets the red paint both forward and aft of the foot rest. Anybody got any ideas what it could be??
Will post a pic as soon as I can. Just went for a ride and everything seems normal.. I do a lot of high speed (55-65 bmph) riding for some decent distances. Engine is about to hit 14k and I've kept up with servicing every thousand miles including one about 2 weeks ago. This is my only transportation so I'm uber worried. Please help!
For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. for there u have been and there you will forever long to be~~davinci
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Do you see any signs of fluid leakage around the engine or on the exhaust pipe/muffler?

And, out of curiosity, what service do you perform every 1000 miles?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Bit of a shot in the dark here, but I think there's a hose that comes off the valve cover and curves around the RH side of the bike (RH from the rider's point of view). That line is a breather and will wind up with some scuzzy oil in it. Ideally, it goes to a catch can to separate the oil. The oil wicks off into a tube that hangs down toward the road and has a plug in it. If you have that catch can and hose, you may need to put a pan under the hose and pull the plug out if it to drain the scuzzy oil.

My Elite 80 has this setup and needs the hose drained every couple thousand miles. It fills up faster when the bike is flogged at 45+ for long periods of time (pretty much all the time...) Even though the Elite is a vertical engine, I know the GY6s have a similar system. I'm just not sure where everything is bolted in.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Robbie

Re: greasy seepage from under the passenger footrest RH side

Post by Robbie »

[quote="Joker219"]So I have a strange greasy black spot on and around my right side passenger foot rest, seems to be comming from where the foot rest meets the body panel, what ever it is it's dissolving the silver paint on my foot peg. There also seems to be a slight stain where the black plastic meets the red paint both forward and aft of the foot rest. Anybody got any ideas what it could be??
Will post a pic as soon as I can. Just went for a ride and everything seems normal.. I do a lot of high speed (55-65 bmph) riding for some decent distances. Engine is about to hit 14k and I've kept up with servicing every thousand miles including one about 2 weeks ago. This is my only transportation so I'm uber worried. Please help![/quote

The mention of paint damage leads me to recommend inspecting the brake line leading to the rear brake caliper.

Brake fluid melts paint and destroys the plastic panels if it drools on them.

Over time, a fuel leak can make paint begin to peel as well......so look for a overflow hose or emission cannister hose leaking or leaving a trail from past leakage.....A slow fuel leak will look like a oil leak because a oily deposit is left behind as the high ends of the fuel evaporate off.

Rob

]
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Buddy 125. Ain't no rear caliper, just a mechanical drum. But check that breather hose for cracks plus the fullness mentioned earlier.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

az_slynch wrote:Bit of a shot in the dark here, but I think there's a hose that comes off the valve cover and curves around the RH side of the bike (RH from the rider's point of view). That line is a breather and will wind up with some scuzzy oil in it. Ideally, it goes to a catch can to separate the oil.
Robbie wrote: The mention of paint damage leads me to recommend inspecting the brake line leading to the rear brake caliper.
You guys realize your advise is completely wrong for a Buddy 125, right?

All the vents and hoses are on the left. What is on the right, is the oil fill and drain.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Joker219 wrote:So I have a strange greasy black spot on and around my right side passenger foot rest, seems to be coming from where the foot rest meets the body panel, what ever it is it's dissolving the silver paint on my foot peg. There also seems to be a slight stain where the black plastic meets the red paint both forward and aft of the foot rest. Anybody got any ideas what it could be??
You work at a toxic waste plant?

There's nothing, fluid-wise at that height except gasoline. Pull your pet carrier and look inside. My guess this mystery fluid is coming from something other that your Buddy.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

PeteH wrote:Buddy 125. Ain't no rear caliper, just a mechanical drum. But check that breather hose for cracks plus the fullness mentioned earlier.
OOPS!

Brain fart on the brake fluid......Still maybe fuel or a fuel vent line?

Rob
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

JettaKnight wrote:
Joker219 wrote:So I have a strange greasy black spot on and around my right side passenger foot rest, seems to be coming from where the foot rest meets the body panel, what ever it is it's dissolving the silver paint on my foot peg. There also seems to be a slight stain where the black plastic meets the red paint both forward and aft of the foot rest. Anybody got any ideas what it could be??
You work at a toxic waste plant?

There's nothing, fluid-wise at that height except gasoline. Pull your pet carrier and look inside. My guess this mystery fluid is coming from something other that your Buddy.
Actually, the evap canister is on the right side.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Tocsik wrote:Actually, the evap canister is on the right side.
Except that a 2007 Buddy 125 doesn't have an evap cannister :wink: .
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Sheesh! The learnin' never stops!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

And I thought the breather was on the right. Got confused with the plug wire, I guess. So yeah, how 'bout dem fuel lines?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Joker219

Post by Joker219 »

So I figured out the mystery seepage... Apparently,2 of my neghbors saw my buddy laying on its side in the parking lot several days ago... Some good samaritan picked it up and put it back which I'm greatful for. But now there's the mystery of who knocked it over and why, as I'm newly single I'm thinking my ex did it but I'm not for certain.. Anyhow that explains the oily grease and fluids but now my scoot is idleing high and lurching forward when I'm sitting at a stop, any input would be helpful as far as adjusting the idle or perhaps my belt is crapping out? Thanx guys
For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. for there u have been and there you will forever long to be~~davinci
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Is your throttle giving you the full range of motion?

Usually, the idle screw doesn't get out of whack. If the bike was on it's right side, it may have conked the throttle grip and caused an issue.

Worst case, come out to El Scoot IV on Sunday and I'll take a look at it.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...