smoke from under battery

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ChitownDave

smoke from under battery

Post by ChitownDave »

Hi All,

Rode my blur 220i to work and back. Went to start after short break and it wouldn't turn over.

Sounded like the battery, but a strange sound and a puff of white smoke came from under the battery compartment.

Anyone else have or heard of a similar issue? Any suggestions.

I bought it used, with 150 miles, it now has 4,200 miles. Everything else is fine.

Any help? Thanks

David
"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them." Christ Jesus (Luke 6:31 ESV)
chickdr

Re: smoke from under battery

Post by chickdr »

ChitownDave wrote:Hi All,

Rode my blur 220i to work and back. Went to start after short break and it wouldn't turn over.

Sounded like the battery, but a strange sound and a puff of white smoke came from under the battery compartment.

Anyone else have or heard of a similar issue? Any suggestions.

I bought it used, with 150 miles, it now has 4,200 miles. Everything else is fine.

Any help? Thanks

David
No idea but I would get it to a dealer quick. Doesn't sound good to me. Maybe ECU related? Too bad the OEM warranty will not be in effect since you are the second owner...
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

That's a new one to me. When in doubt, pull the bucket and see if you have a short or something. Are you blowing fuses? Did it smell of gas?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
ChitownDave

smoking blur

Post by ChitownDave »

Thanks,

I will pull the bucket Saturday, hoping its something obvious. I can ride my Buddy 125, which I named- Heididavidson.

Haven't rode her all summer. Need to dust her off and charge the battery.

If I can't see the problem I will take it to Scooterworks, their headquarters is about 5 miles from me.

I appreciate any input or suggestions.

David

Ps. Hoping for another mild winter. I rode my blur to work everyday, except 2. Since June of last year I have not ridden a car to work.
"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them." Christ Jesus (Luke 6:31 ESV)
chickdr

Re: smoking blur

Post by chickdr »

ChitownDave wrote:Thanks,
Ps. Hoping for another mild winter. I rode my blur to work everyday, except 2. Since June of last year I have not ridden a car to work.
Impressive. You must have some hardcore riding gear. I ride into the upper 30's but the car comes out if its colder or it rains. Do you ride in the snow?
ChitownDave

Winter riding

Post by ChitownDave »

Chickdr

Yes, I ride in the snow, but Chicago is salted right away. So, while its snowing it's slow going.
Cold doesn't bother me much. Well layered with my frogg toggs as wind and water deflectors. If it gets REAL cold, i'll buy heated gear.
I rode at zero, with out wind chill factored in. Nippy, but tolerable. Hardest part was keeping my helmet fog free. My blur was aweesome and reliable.

David
ChitownDave

smokin blur no visible issues

Post by ChitownDave »

Hi All,

Disconnected battery, took apart seat bay. Can't find anything that looked charred or otherwise damaged.

Guess I'll have to haul it to the dealer.

Thanks
David
turboscott

Re: smokin blur no visible issues

Post by turboscott »

ChitownDave wrote:Hi All,

Disconnected battery, took apart seat bay. Can't find anything that looked charred or otherwise damaged.

Guess I'll have to haul it to the dealer.

Thanks
David
David, sorry for the late reply...but just in case you did not take it in yet:

Sounds similar to what happened to me a couple months ago...drove to work fine...then wouldnt start coming home...had it towed. It would only make a single click noise when starting...all lights worked. Problem was not the battery. I did not see smoke though.

Under GSC roadside assistance and warranty (thankfully it works)...dealer found a bad ground wire or strap of some sort. Fixed it. I do not know exactly where it was at.
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount