Ride Report "The Natchez Trace"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rfman81

Ride Report "The Natchez Trace"

Post by rfman81 »

Today our local scooting community Scoot Nashville was doing our first and hopefully annual "Race the Trace". As I am not originally from this area I did not know that much about the Natchez Trace. Here is some information for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace

This was a race from Lovelass Cafe Nashville (http://www.lovelesscafe.com) to Tupelo Mississippi. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do the whole thing do to family commitments, But I did do about 80 miles one way of it. It was some great riding, if anyone gets to this area I really recommend it. I will do this again, and do more of it.

My steed.

I did not get a picture of the start as I showed up just as everyone was pulling out. There were about 15 scooters. Only my buddy and a friends buddy were representing. There was 1 stella too.

We started and didn't stop for 78 mile.

This gives you an idea of how there was no one on this road.

It was very peaceful and beautiful.

I stopped at Merryweather Lewis National Park right of the Trace. I had no idea that this was here until I started planning this trip. This is the place where Merryweather Lewis (Think Lewis and Clark, yeah that guy) died and was buried. Apparently he either shot himself twice or was shot twice here. Sorta a sad end for someone immortalized in US history.

By the time I got to civilization on the way home, it was lunch time, so I parked at Starbucks in Brentwood had my packed lunch with a coffee and got some water proof spray from REI.

This was my route back.

All in all, 202 miles round trip. Done from 7:15 am until 12:35 pm. I have to say the buddy performed well. Only hicup was I ran out of gas going 70 bmph. I actually wanted to see how far I could go before I had to fill up. 121 miles. I then filled back up and kept going.
Now in the comfort department my rear got seriously numb, sore and all around was uncomfortable. Need to figure out how to make it more comfortable next time. Thats all folks, thanks for reading.

rfman
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

The bed was too comfy at 6 a.m., or I would have done that much of the ride with ya.
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Funny thing Jeff, I have been to 3 or 4 Tuesdays meets ups this year and still haven't met you yet. I can't make most things but one day we shall meet.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The Natchez Trace is pretty sweet. I'd driven the Nashville to Tupelo leg before, wish I had my bike for it.

This reminded me of a thread I'd seen on Total Ruckus; guy rode the full Trace both ways on a 50cc Ruckus. Consider it incentive to go the distance on your next run!

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... chez+trace
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

rfman81 wrote:Funny thing Jeff, I have been to 3 or 4 Tuesdays meets ups this year and still haven't met you yet. I can't make most things but one day we shall meet.
I was at last Tuesday's, and two weeks prior. I've been pretty scarce since the rally in June. I'm going to try to get to every other one, at least, through the winter. The job, though... some days it just kicks my ol' keester.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Loveless Cafe! Natchez Trace!! Scooters!!! Race!?! Can somebody please send me an e-mail heads up before this event next year? Coffee & Pie at the Loveless is on me.

I am so SOOOOO jealous. :twisted:

Nice photos! Thanks for posting that.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

jrsjr wrote:Loveless Cafe! Natchez Trace!! Scooters!!! Race!?! Can somebody please send me an e-mail heads up before this event next year? Coffee & Pie at the Loveless is on me.

I am so SOOOOO jealous. :twisted:

Nice photos! Thanks for posting that.
If you don't wanna keep up with the main scootnashville site, we haz newsletter, too! Handy for those who're too far for the day-to-day stuff, but close enough to maybe wanna attend the bigger events.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'd love to do this ride. Maybe someday.
buddyguy

Post by buddyguy »

rf,

If I'd known you were coming back I would have waited for you! It was good seeing you represent on the Buddy! I just had to have a little fun with the vintage guys you know what I mean.....:D
2009 Genuine Buddy St Tropez 150cc
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Dummy Lights Turned Blinkers
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
Prima Stainless Steel Exhaust
81bmph 78mph Dyno confirmed.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Most incredible road I've ever been on! (haven't been on the Blue Ridge Pkwy yet). It goes on and on with almost no other cars, no lights, and beautiful scenery. It just rolls gracefully through beautiful farmlands and plantations.

I had the incredible mishap during Cannonball 2012 of breaking down and requiring a detour to Jackson, MS for repairs (shoutout to Wayne Ferris from Capital Sports Center cycle shop). While everyone was down in Hazelhurst, MS for the night, I was stranded in Jackson. They had me back up and running the next morning and I had to play catch up. I got to take the Natchez from Jackson to the southern terminus, right before the bridge across the Mississippi River to Vidalia, LA. It was about 100 miles, and I had to fight the urge to turn around and do it again. I had to make it to Lufkin, TX that night. I can't wait to go back and do the whole thing from Nashville! (maybe make a better quality video, or at least aim the camera higher up!)

The NTP is shown up to 1:03 of the video, then crossing the Mississippi.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OIVhPXid5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Attachments
natchez.jpg
natchez.jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

buddyguy wrote:rf,

If I'd known you were coming back I would have waited for you! It was good seeing you represent on the Buddy! I just had to have a little fun with the vintage guys you know what I mean.....:D
Hey, stranger!

Also meant to mention to rfman81... the Meriwether Lewis burial site is the farthest south I've traveled the Trace, so far, too. I did that on Bad Penny, the Kymco People 250. Almost ran out of fuel... had to ride 22 miles off the Trace to get to a gas station in Fly, TN! This gets difficult, as no signage is allowed on the Trace to show you where to find gasoline... silly Federal Park System. :) Jason, the gent on the orange Stella w/the Corazzo 5 jacket, he had a spreadsheet with fueling stops. I hope it is serving them all well on the adventure!
hal888

Post by hal888 »

It is a real joy to ride, the right speed, lots of turns, and beautiful scenes everywhere. I often get on the stretch from Leiper's Fork to the Loveless Cafe whenever I have a few hours and want to clear the cobwebs. A lot of Harley's cruise that stretch on the weekends, but everyone is on their best behavior, and some of the HD guys actually wave.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

hal888 wrote:It is a real joy to ride, the right speed, lots of turns, and beautiful scenes everywhere. I often get on the stretch from Leiper's Fork to the Loveless Cafe whenever I have a few hours and want to clear the cobwebs. A lot of Harley's cruise that stretch on the weekends, but everyone is on their best behavior, and some of the HD guys actually wave.
The Harley guys always wave on the Trace... IME.

That stretch of the Trace, I am told, is the best ride of the whole thang. I do love it, but have it memorized, now. ;)
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

hal888 wrote:It is a real joy to ride, the right speed, lots of turns, and beautiful scenes everywhere. I often get on the stretch from Leiper's Fork to the Loveless Cafe whenever I have a few hours and want to clear the cobwebs. A lot of Harley's cruise that stretch on the weekends, but everyone is on their best behavior, and some of the HD guys actually wave.
We'll have to meet up some weekend morning for breakfast at Puckett's or Loveless.
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

I would be down to do this again just need about 3 weeks heads up prep the family.
To clarify I actually made it past Merrytweather park. About 21 miles or so. All these pictures were taken on the way back as on the way down we were Racing!!! I was in 4th place when I stopped and turned around. Took my time to get home, stopped snapped pictures kind of thing. Talked to a guy on a old Indian that was pretty cool. He thought it was awesome I had put in 140 miles by 10:15 in the morning on a scooter.

I am thinking back. I think something that got to me was the vibration on the ride, it has bothered me for some time but it is was noticeable more after about 1 hour riding. I am wondering if my front wheel is out of balance or something. Also the buddy doesn't really like my 200 lbs at 60 bmph. I cruises just right around 53ish.

Boot scootin, let us know if you come down. I am sure you will get some scoot Nashville support.
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

I will also admit, this ride is making me think of getting a bigger scoot.... Maybe a Vespa or something. Gasp, I said it....
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

rfman81 wrote:I will also admit, this ride is making me think of getting a bigger scoot.... Maybe a Vespa or something. Gasp, I said it....
Wanna buy a broken-down Kymco People 250...? [half-kidding] ;)
hal888

Post by hal888 »

jprestonian wrote:
We'll have to meet up some weekend morning for breakfast at Puckett's or Loveless.
Absolutely.
buddyguy

Post by buddyguy »

jprestonian wrote:
buddyguy wrote:rf,

Hey, stranger!

Also meant to mention to rfman81... the Meriwether Lewis burial site is the farthest south I've traveled the Trace, so far, too. I did that on Bad Penny, the Kymco People 250. Almost ran out of fuel... had to ride 22 miles off the Trace to get to a gas station in Fly, TN! This gets difficult, as no signage is allowed on the Trace to show you where to find gasoline... silly Federal Park System. :) Jason, the gent on the orange Stella w/the Corazzo 5 jacket, he had a spreadsheet with fueling stops. I hope it is serving them all well on the adventure!
haha, funny thing is, I almost ran out of gas and when I finally found one they didn't take credit cards. So I had to go another 10 miles to another gas station, coasting with the scooter off and everything! I made it without having to push though. :)
2009 Genuine Buddy St Tropez 150cc
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Dummy Lights Turned Blinkers
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
Prima Stainless Steel Exhaust
81bmph 78mph Dyno confirmed.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

buddyguy wrote:haha, funny thing is, I almost ran out of gas and when I finally found one they didn't take credit cards. So I had to go another 10 miles to another gas station, coasting with the scooter off and everything! I made it without having to push though. :)
What happened to the tanker jet, man? ;)
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

I love riding the trace, but don't do it often enough. It's just a few miles from my house, nothing better on a fall Sunday afternoon to spend some time on it then head into Leipers Fork, and hit up Puckett's for an afternoon snack.
MB #2349
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

The trace was lovely when I rode it from the southern start to near Tupelo last March. What I couldn't figure out was why there were so few people on it, lovely Saturday afternoon (from Natchez to Jackson) in the low 80s. I was passed by a group of sports bikes who flew by despite my going about 8 miles over the posted speed on my Scarabeo 500. The next morning I don't think I saw more than a couple dozen the entire stretch from Jackson to Tupelo. Very peaceful and lovely before I cut over to meet up with a friend to ride the Dragon and other bits before picking up the Blue Ridge south of Ashford. That too was lovely and almost deserted but foggier than the Trace.

If they weren't so far from Houston they would have been fun on the Buddy but the bigger, faster, better suspension for eating of the miles of the Scarabeo made it the better choice.