Guess who got a new scooter!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skootz Kabootz

Guess who got a new scooter!

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I got a new toy!!! :)

2012 GTS300 Super, just turned over to 1000 miles as I was test riding it. Bought it from an exceptionally nice guy who got it as his first scooter but after 9 months decided he really didn't like riding. I've still got to break in the engine! Really, really nice. I've only put about 10 miles on it so far. Needless to say I will be riding ALL weekend!!! Wine tasting in Santa Ynez? Apple pie in Julian? San Simeon? Come join me!

Jury is still out on the custom seat—great quality (Pirate Upholstery) but I may want to modify it so I can sit a little farther back. Need to spend some more time in the saddle first to see how it grows on me. I'll definitely need a stock seat too if I want to carry a passenger.

My dear Buddy, still going strong after 26,000 miles of abuse, albeit sidelined with a gear oil leak at the moment, is going to get to relax now and be my city scooter and daily rider for errands, shopping, and everything else around town. My 300 will be for taking me to points beyond. Psyched!!

All my friends are particularly delighted they will no longer have to listen to me talk about the Vespa 300 I am going to own one day. I'm only talking about the Bonneville now :P
Attachments
2012_GTS300_super.jpg
2012_GTS300_super.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
Last edited by Skootz Kabootz on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Congratulations! I dig the color scheme!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I hate to quote Paris Hilton, but "That's Hot!"
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Very, very cool!
Also the Titanium is a discontinued color; only built for 2012.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I would love to have my own but I just can't justify the sticker price.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Nice, congrats!
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

That is sweet! Congratulations!
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

The Vespa GTS300 is probably what we would've bought if money were a non-issue. The tires are large enough to handle cruising at 75mph down the interstate. People report easily reaching the 80mph advertised. The scooter shop here says it's pretty much the best scooter on the showroom floor. Of course, we're not complaining, being as our Buddy 125 was less than half the price and still hits 65mph actual. Still, to have the extra torque to do it without as much fuss would be pretty convenient. Sweet ride, man. Enjoy, and give us a review once you've gotten a good feel for it!
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That's really beautiful!
I'm kinda overcome by jealousy.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The 300 better show it's elder some respect, you know? (Are you Skootz over at MV too?)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Love that color -
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You have chosen wisely!

Congrats on the new Wasp!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Looks great, man! Hope to see it at the next LASG ride that I can make it to. Congrats!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I'ma quote myself n say, "You lucky Bastard"! I hope you got a good deal n maybe I'll actually get to ride with you some time..( the bastard part is just me being envious! with a covetus :arrow: :P)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I got very lucky. If I was a billionaire this is exactly the big scooter i would buy, color and everything. It literally has been driven 10 miles back and forth to the sellers job for the last 9 months. It's never even been on a highway.
Lokky wrote:I would love to have my own but I just can't justify the sticker price.
Ditto! I got it for 35% less than the seller paid. He just wanted to get rid of it. If it was full price there is no way I could buy it. Even at this discount it is a stretch for me. Also helping, I switched from State Farm to Geico and now for basically the same annual rate I have the same amount coverage on two scooters as I previously had on just the one!! So pretty much no additional insurance cost! Amazing. Guess I was overpaying before.
Syd wrote:The 300 better show it's elder some respect, you know? (Are you Skootz over at MV too?)
There's a Skootz at MV???? An two bit impostor!! I was going to join up over there later today. This can't possibly lead to anything good :P

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Snazzy! Congrats :)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I got very lucky. If I was a billionaire this is exactly the big scooter i would buy, color and everything. It literally has been driven 10 miles back and forth to the sellers job for the last 9 months. It's never even been on a highway.
Lokky wrote:I would love to have my own but I just can't justify the sticker price.
Ditto! I got it for 35% less than the seller paid. He just wanted to get rid of it. If it was full price there is no way I could buy it. Even at this discount it is a stretch for me. Also helping, I switched from State Farm to Geico and now for basically the same annual rate I have the same amount coverage on two scooters as I previously had on just the one!! So pretty much no additional insurance cost! Amazing. Guess I was overpaying before.
Syd wrote:The 300 better show it's elder some respect, you know? (Are you Skootz over at MV too?)
There's a Skootz at MV???? An two bit impostor!! I was going to join up over there later today. This can't possibly lead to anything good :P
I don't think so, I was jut wondering if you had created an account there yet.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Syd wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I got very lucky. If I was a billionaire this is exactly the big scooter i would buy, color and everything. It literally has been driven 10 miles back and forth to the sellers job for the last 9 months. It's never even been on a highway.
I don't think so, I was jut wondering if you had created an account there yet.
Phew. My uniqueness remains intact :)

bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Congrats! Have great weekend enjoying your new ride! :D
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Looks pretty fancy. Enjoy the rides!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of that scooter. The Buddy is a solid and reliable ride but, in my opinion, the GTS is the best alround true scooter on the road. Other than cost, what is not to like? :wink:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Congrats, I love that color! You will surely enjoy this, and like the many of us out there with the GTS Buddy combo you will soon agree you have 2 of the best scooters out there.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Good luck and use it well and safely, have fun and enjoy it.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

thats a bad ass scoot. color is perfect at not being colorful
Riding is riding
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

<--- jealous. love the color.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

So happy for you! Not sure about the seat though. I'm not tall 5'5" and I also like to slide back a bit and you're much taller than I am!

We're also with Geico and pay just over $300 for 4 scooters. You'll get a better price every year as long as you don't file a claim.

I hope I can ride with you tomorrow. Working on the details now.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

bigbropgo wrote:<--- jealous. love the color.
You beat me to it!

Congrats and enjoy. Ride the crap out of it!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Dooglas wrote:Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of that scooter. The Buddy is a solid and reliable ride but, in my opinion, the GTS is the best alround true scooter on the road. Other than cost, what is not to like? :wink:
I have to say, I could not have been more fortunate than to purchase my Buddy as a first scooter. It allowed me to grow, explore, and do so many things I could never have imagined. And how about all the amazing people I've met?? And it did all this (still does) so dependably. I needed a fun, dependable, inexpensive ride and my Buddy is all that and more. Now I am really excited to learn about a different scooter and travel even farther and wider. But I tell you this, my Vespa sure has a tough act to follow!
teacherquinn wrote:... I hope I can ride with you tomorrow. Working on the details now.
Fingers are totally crossed. Having you and Kevin there would be the perfect first ride!!

michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Love it! I was toying with getting a 250 or 300 and that was the color I was looking at.

Have fun!
lucasan

Post by lucasan »

damn I just love that color. I mean, I never knew this color existed in a paint job and now I'm trying to figure out if I can find that color and paint my Like 200i with it.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Just came back from the new scoot's 300+ mile maiden voyage. What an exquisite machine!

Review to come later. I'm pooped!

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Congrats on the new ride! That's my favorite color for the 300's. Sounds like you're having a really good weekend!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
phatch

Post by phatch »

I've been eyeing these... look forward to your review from a Buddy-rider perspective!
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Just please dont forget where your roots lye{ie:Buddy}should you ever be forced to sell one scoot. :D

A decent amount of MV members are getting excited about the Vespa GTR 350 supposedly coming in the next few years.I say few as its not due to the public till 2014 and probably not the US a year later.

You Lucky You Lucky :D
Aerosmith, None Other.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

BuddyLicious wrote:A decent amount of MV members are getting excited about the Vespa GTR 350 supposedly coming in the next few years.I say few as its not due to the public till 2014 and probably not the US a year later.
So far the talk about a possible 350 Vespa is just that - talk (we all love a good rumor :wink: ). Many of us still doubt that a 350 Vespa (if it ever appears) would look much like the GTS, due to the need for different suspension and brakes (50% more HP and more weight), longer body (bigger engine/transmission), and possibly larger wheels (higher speeds). In any case the 250/300 GTS certainly has hit a sweet spot in the design of large frame scooters.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

she's sexy! Way to go JP, you definitely earned it. I'm eyeing something bigger in the near future. Gonna do the same and keep the 26k Buddy for local trips inside the Beltway and the bigger ship for exploring and taking my little lady friend on the back. She also needs something bigger to ride the HOV out to her farther away clients and ditch the car.

The color suites you nicely as well!

Now that you have 2, can I claim dibs on the Frenchy for Amerivespa?? (if I'm able to get the time off)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:Now that you have 2, can I claim dibs on the Frenchy for Amerivespa?? (if I'm able to get the time off)
lol, you quick thinker you! Done! :)

Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Congrats on the scoot Skootz!
4k on mine now, need a new rear tire, and I had to have the fuel pump replaced but that was warranty/recall work. Other than that not one problem with the GTS. Some ass-hat knocked it over the other night, minor scratches in the plastic on the cowls a couple surface on the metal and my shield trim is cracked. I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later. Just didn't think it would be this soon :x

Enjoy that ride my friend and keep the buddy, I'm kicking myself for having to sell the rat.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
skully93

Post by skully93 »

aren't you Mr. Fancypants!

Good find, I really dig that and the satin black. enjoy!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

No worries, the Buddy is staying right here. It is perfection for getting around town. Especially with all that storage.

As for my GTS300... the adventure continues this weekend. Tomorrow I ride from LA to San Diego. Then Saturday I ride with friends to Borrego Springs, and Julian for some apple pie. Sunday, I'll amble up the coast, maybe check out the Ortega Hwy on the way home. You know, just 'cause I have to break in the engine. That's all. Not cause it's fun or nothin :P

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

She's a beauty. Congrats! Guess you're not riding with us up here Sunday, eh?

What are we going to talk about now that your big dilemma has been settled? Glad you went with this. Last thing we need in LA is one more guy on a Bonneville. Also, you'd have to grow facial hair, wear plaid and get some fake Ray Bans. It's a rule.

Then again, now that you own a Vespa, you'll get to learn the secret handshake and you can start buying all-things Vespa branded now. We can't get enough of stuff with Vespa on it. I had a bunch of (unworn) Vespa stuff but I gave it away at the Annenberg ride. We had a trivia contest. No one could tell me where Vespa's HQ is (the city), or the name of the Vespa microcar, or three actors in Roman Holiday. Finally, someone knew that Piaggio made airplanes prior to scooters. I'll give you a limited edition Modern Vespa '09 patch if you want it.

I had to just give the Kymco stuff away. No Kymco riders there. I even had Kymco trivia questions ready!

Also, no one could tell me (in exchange for a SPAZ patch) three rules for survival from "Zombieland."

You should join the VCOA, too!

Stay humble, amigo!

Holy crap, I really should not be allowed to post when I stay up this late.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
amy

Post by amy »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:No worries, the Buddy is staying right here. It is perfection for getting around town. Especially with all that storage.

As for my GTS300... the adventure continues this weekend. Tomorrow I ride from LA to San Diego. Then Saturday I ride with friends to Borrego Springs, and Julian for some apple pie. Sunday, I'll amble up the coast, maybe check out the Ortega Hwy on the way home. You know, just 'cause I have to break in the engine. That's all. Not cause it's fun or nothin :P
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2p1dS9hoptU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
rajron

Post by rajron »

Very nice scooter - great color.
Christophers

Re: Guess who got a new scooter!

Post by Christophers »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I got a new toy!!! :)
I like the new avatar too! :-)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Christophers wrote:
Heh, seemed like the appropriate thing. Not sure what to do next when I get the Bonneville! :P

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Christophers wrote:
Heh, seemed like the appropriate thing. Not sure what to do next when I get the Bonneville! :P
Buy me lunch, 'cause you must be rich! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…