almost in major accident.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

almost in major accident.

Post by Edwub »

I posted this to my facebook a minute ago. Still rethinking it in my head. I've been in a few near misses, but never at this high of a speed.
I rode with my leather jacket today, instead of my (armored) textile one, for the first time in over a year. I was missing wearing it, instead of bulk and armor. Went out for lunch, and was almost run over in Beverly Hills.

Those crazy few seconds ended up in in a four-car accident at 55mph. I was not involved - barely. A guy on his phone wasn't paying attention, there was construction on Wilshire Blvd and the right lane was closed off with cones. He almost sideswiped me when merging - I honked and accelerated the hell out of there. He panicked, swerved to the right, hit a few cones (and maybe drove over some of the 'under construction' part of the road) and then over-corrected back to the left. His huge swerve to the left ended up with him hitting the car that was behind me. They then got rear ended twice, from behind. Everyone was ok. The two rear-ends were very low speed (simply not enough time to come to a stop). The first two cars were damaged, but not badly - just scraped up and dented.

I pulled over. A police officer was there within a minute (was actually at the gas station a block away). The original idiot tried to blame me - said I was speeding, recklessly weaving, and "drove him off the road." The other three drivers started yelling at him and telling the cop that the other guy nearly killed me, wasn't paying attention to the road, etc. Because everyone else was clearly in agreement, the cop spoke to me for all of three seconds to get and verify my contact info.

*IF* I hadn't been able to accelerate away [I really gunned it, whipped my head back], I'm sure Blitzen would have been totaled and I would have been more than scraped and dented. It took a few hours for this all to really sink in. I think the adrenaline rush made it seem not real, especially because it literally look less than five minutes from when it started to when I was driving off towards lunch.

Tomorrow my leather jacket goes back in the closet for another year, and I'll continue riding with the armor.

Also, stay off your frak phones when driving.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Yikes! Glad you made it out OK. Good call on changing up the jacket, too.

Almost bit it earlier this year when riding one of my old mopeds ('78 JC Penny Pinto). This time, it wasn't a lack of go, just a lack of braking power and room to stop. Two cars got all kattywumpus while both trying to claim the lane in front of me. Brake levers to the bars, thinking thin and muttering "I am a leaf on the wind"...I made it through the gap. Really made me think about my choice of gear that day (tartan golf cap and a reflective vest) and about what I could do to improve the brakes on the bike (cable-operated, itty-bitty drums).
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Glad your ok and just shaken...not stirred
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Glad the others were watching, and that no serious injuries took place.
hal888

Post by hal888 »

I really am disgusted by cell phones on the road. It is so tempting, so easy, and at that moment seems so necessary, though almost always it is the opposite. But since I've started to ride and started to realize the real extent of this problem, I now avoid cell phone use while I'm driving my car, as well as when I'm on my scoot. Glad you're safe.
Last edited by hal888 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: almost in major accident.

Post by jrsjr »

Edwub wrote:The original idiot tried to blame me - said I... "drove him off the road."
No wonder the cop didn't believe that! :roll: There are times when it's an advantage to be riding a small, light scooter, aren't there?

Glad you came out without a scratch. It sounds like you read the situation and responded perfectly. Not everybody is cut out for this riding thing, but you clearly are. Good on you.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

jrsjr wrote:
Edwub wrote:The original idiot tried to blame me - said I... "drove him off the road."
No wonder the cop didn't believe that! :roll: There are times when it's an advantage to be riding a small, light scooter, aren't there?

Glad you came out without a scratch. It sounds like you read the situation and responded perfectly. Not everybody is cut out for this riding thing, but you clearly are. Good on you.
Thanks. My spidey sense was tingling as we were approaching the cones, so I was somewhat prepared for it. (I knew he was on his phone. He was still accelerating. He wasn't looking over at me, no signal, etc. Every single "signal" possible that a two-wheeler can interpret to mean that he was going to do something dumb: he was doing).

He was on his phone, panicked/swerved to the right, and simply over-corrected [probably panicking about hitting cones and going over gravel/messed up road]. He hit his brakes when he was going to the left - that's why he hit the car behind me. It had slowed down to give him room to enter, and he unfortunately matched it when he hit it. But the lower speed is probably why they weren't damaged too badly. Entirely on him, and three other very angry drivers will be reporting to their insurance agency, I'm sure.

No one has contacted me yet, but I'll report again if they do.

I'm pretty sure if this had happened my first year of riding, I may not be telling the same story. It took a while to develop the spidey sense. It's second nature to me to scan other drivers and potential situations, I don't even realize I do it. Just the other week I was telling a friend that it really becomes instinctual. That our brain processes things in the background, without neccessarily requiring extra effort.

I told him to watch from 0:22 to 0:34 of this clip of Iron Man :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Im7ZYrXCOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Additional info: the idiot was driving a Mercedes SL, brand new. The car behind me was a BMW. The two cars that rear-ended them: one was an Audi (maybe an A8) and I didn't go back to see what the other car was.

I hope his insurance quadruples. I'd have _some_ sympathy if he hadn't tried to blame me... His response post-accident was awful. I've been in one serious near miss before at a lower speed, and that driver seemed beside himself at the time with the idea of what almost just happened. I harbored no ill will towards him. Mistakes happen.
Last edited by Edwub on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

on a completely different note, I was going to lunch at a fancy schmancy place in Beverly Hills. That's a big reason I wore the leather jacket - looks much better and cooler, I thought, than my 'dorky' armored textile mesh jacket.

The reason for the fancy lunch?

A few weeks ago, I eloped :) My wife works at a law firm, and they were taking us out to lunch to celebrate.

Like I said in the OP, the whole thing took like 5 minutes. So I went off to lunch, and we ate *incredible* food at Fig and Olive, if anyone in LA has ever been there - definitely go if someone else is paying! [We saw an actress there too.]

Afterwards I drove back to work, and I was sitting in lab doing normal work when I noticed my hand was shaking somewhat. I started thinking I was probably in shock, and simply hadn't processed it. All that was on my mind was "I'm going to be late to this fancy lunch and I'm going to look awful in front of all those lawyers and staff, and it's the first time they'll meet me." And then "I need to catch up on all this work that I missed, I forgot this experiment needs XYZ and I need to make ABC..."

I went on facebook with the intent of posting "Almost in an accident, STAY OFF YOUR PHONES" but instead I posted the above. I didn't even read it or realize I was shaken up until after I hit submit.

I guess it's not really *sinking in* unless I'm actually talking about it. Thanks for the therapy, Modern Buddy <3 I think I'm totally fine now, just needed to get it off my chest.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I'm so glad you are okay! Awesome reactions. :)

On a somewhat related note--prior to my starting to ride scooters, I was following behind a younger woman in a small Jeep, when she rear ended a car driven by an elderly man who had started to make a right at a stop sign, then stepped on his brakes to double-check that traffic was clear (as cross traffic did not have to stop).

She got out and started yelling at the poor guy, who seemed very confused. She shut up in a hurry when I piped up and said "Don't worry--I saw what happened sir, and she was at fault".

People can be such jerks. :roll:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

So glad you are ok Edwub!! Wilshire, yuck ptui! I avoid that street whenever possible. There just seems to always be an abundance of distracted drivers there. Take it easy for a while, kick back, allow extra time, take side streets, enjoy the scenery, and just chill. Good job today!

And... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I wish the two of you many happy years!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Edwub wrote:The reason for the fancy lunch?

A few weeks ago, I eloped :)
:shock: Congratulations! You eloped? That's so cool! ATMRFATGATT!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Edwub, I'm very glad you are alright.

I'm also very glad that you stayed around to give your statement. I know it sounds silly... but since you weren't collided with, many others would have peaced out, if only because they were shaken and not thinking. Not that it sounds like the cops thought this guy was legit for one second, but still.

Witnesses matter. Ever since a stupid incident that turned he-said-she-said because witnesses wouldn't speak up, I've vowed to give a statement or at least contact info to anything I ever might witness.

Also, CONGRATS! :clap:
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Edwub wrote:I posted this to my facebook a minute ago. Still rethinking it in my head. I've been in a few near misses, but never at this high of a speed.
Can you give some more details about the location? What time did this happen?

I ride on this section of Wilshire every day - at least twice a day. I've had a couple of near misses from drivers changing lanes without looking. This typically consists of someone pulling out in front of me from a lane that's completely stopped. On Friday night I was almost broadsided when an SUV ran a VERY red light at Wilshire and Crescent. Luckily I've never had an incident as close to a major accident as the one that you described. Glad you got out of it safely.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Christophers wrote:
Edwub wrote:I posted this to my facebook a minute ago. Still rethinking it in my head. I've been in a few near misses, but never at this high of a speed.
Can you give some more details about the location? What time did this happen?

I ride on this section of Wilshire every day - at least twice a day. I've had a couple of near misses from drivers changing lanes without looking. This typically consists of someone pulling out in front of me from a lane that's completely stopped. On Friday night I was almost broadsided when an SUV ran a VERY red light at Wilshire and Crescent. Luckily I've never had an incident as close to a major accident as the one that you described. Glad you got out of it safely.
My coworker warned me there had been off/on construction on that stretch of Wilshire heading east into Beverly Hills. This was just about exactly at noon on Monday. At this particular time, the rightmost lane was closed. I can't remember now if the rightmost lane was closed, and they had been closing the middle lane too, forcing us all into the left.

Woo, LA....

Wilshire approaching Santa Monica Blvd.

I think this circle is more accurate.

This "here?" may be a bit too close.

Maps should be pretty clear :)

It's that nice stretch of Wilshire where there's no roads coming on/off and everyone speeds. At noon, there weren't all that many cars and we were all zooming along. It was towards the end of the stretch, but not right before it). Pretty sure it was close enough to view the gas station, which is where the officer happened to be - or maybe he was just hanging out because of the road closure/construction?

No idea what was even going on there, I rarely drive that stretch because I rarely head in that direction - I usually don't like it, because it always seems to be the one stretch where everyone thinks they can floor it, and they change lanes rapidly. [[During non-peak times, I mean ;) I don't go this way ever during peak]]. Maybe it's why this guy wasn't paying attention: the closed off lanes threw him off his routine.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

The horn on the Blur is pretty weak, but this is one case where I'm actually glad I don't have a Stebel or a Wolo. My timid beep brought his attention back to the road, and it was the imminent lane closure that caused him to panic. If I gave him a heart attack with an ear-deafening horn blast, and THEN he noticed the lane closure...I think he could very well have had an even worse reaction.

I feel like commuting in my part of LA the timid "beep" horn is a perfect nudge for some situations, and I hate to give it up. I use that much more often than I would the "HEY HEY HEY BLAAAASST" horn - but I definitely wish I had that a few times too! I'm really a big fan of those dual-horn setups. Need to figure one out for the Blur!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I can't believe you posted to Facebook first, instead of here. :)

Glad you made it clear.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Glad you're okay. Hope the errant driver gets slapped hard with… something.

The first part of the story (distracted driver swerving into lane and almost sideswiping someone) is an all-too common occurrence. It makes my blood boil.

AND: CONGRATS!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

ericalm wrote:The first part of the story (distracted driver swerving into lane and almost sideswiping someone) is an all-too common occurrence. It makes my blood boil.
Here's a particularly egregious one - also in Beverly Hills - but this time involving a fellow two-wheeler.

This past Sunday afternoon we were all stopped at Sunset and Whittier at a street closure. The area to the east was closed for the Presidential Motorcade which was about to pass by. A number of motorcycles had made their way to the front of the line, and when the street was opened up again it was pretty cool as 8-10 motorcycles (and one scooter) lead the way down Sunset in a fast moving pack.

Roughly a mile later I signal to turn right onto Rexford and slow down. I'm already in lane C (right most motorcycle sub-lane) of the right hand lane. I've been gently slowing down for about 5 seconds preparing for an easy turn, and about 1/2 a second before I actually start to turn, a guy on a nicely restored 80s vintage Honda 500 shoots between me and the sidewalk at about 50 mph. I couldn't believe the stupidity of that move. I still can't. Wow.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My favorite intersection in Beverly Hills: http://goo.gl/maps/fWnPO

I call it Russian Roulette. Six-way intersection with stop signs on all sides. Though it's hard to tell from Street View, it's difficult to see all the other stops when you come to the nexus. So what usually happens is you just hold your breath, go, and try not to get hit in the middle.

I actually like Beverly Hills, but it has its own, unique… uh… "charm" probably isn't the right word… Lane splitting down Santa Monica is pretty fun. Nothing makes guys in Lamborghinis more nervous than someone on a sub-$4K scooter coming within inches of their over-$4K mirrors. (That price may be an exaggeration. I have no idea, really. But you get the point.)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ericalm wrote:My favorite intersection in Beverly Hills: http://goo.gl/maps/fWnPO

I call it Russian Roulette. Six-way intersection with stop signs on all sides. Though it's hard to tell from Street View, it's difficult to see all the other stops when you come to the nexus. So what usually happens is you just hold your breath, go, and try not to get hit in the middle.
Holy crap...that looks like doom waiting to happen.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Glad you made it out safe. It's funny how you develop that 'moron sense'.

"uh oh, that person is going to do something stupid...."

Anyway, congrats on the marriage!
TVB

Post by TVB »

There's an intersection near my house, which I have to go through for my daily commute (and most other rides), which has two major streets crossing at a 20/70 angle, a side street that crosses (with a small jog to one side) at the same point, plus another side street that just misses, and a few parking lot driveways. It's so infamous that a bar located here just called itself "the Intersection" and everyone knew exactly where it was. Fortunately it has traffic signals scattered around it, and one of the streets is an historic brick road that's constantly in disrepair, so no one goes through it at high speed.