traveling from point A to B

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

avonpirate

traveling from point A to B

Post by avonpirate »

Yesterday on my 'Tour de Kickstart' I decided to motor over to Vail from Avon. 2 choices to get through the Dowd Junction, a narrowing of rock formation. I-70 or the bike path. Speaking with State Patrol they told me that I could be on the bike path providing I kept my speed down, was considerate to the 'peddlars.' Know that I am frequently one of those myself. I kept my speed below 10mph, and was frequently passed by the spinners. But the harsh words and stink eye came in my direction. What are your opinions on what I might do? Do I ride I-70 as far R on the shoulder as possible for this 3/4 mile stretch, or do I learn to ward off stink eye and harsh words??? :?: :?: :?:
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

A 3/4 mile run on I70 shouldn't be a problem.
I would do this before using the bike path even though the paths up that way are gorgeous!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

I never considered taking a scooter on the bike path between Breckenridge and Frisco. It simply wouldn't have occured to me as something that would be permitted, especially on a 125 which requires a full motorcycle license in Colorado. I suspect the trooper you talked to may have thought you were riding a 50cc moped.

I've taken I-70 between Vail and Avaon many times since until Lowes recently opened in Silverthorne it was the closest place with a big hardware store. Though I haven't gone on anythiing smaller than a 250cc scooter but I'd take I-70 if there was no other route besides the bike path. Your 125cc should be ridden in the slow lane not on the shoulder since it qualifies as a motorcycle and there are plenty of cars that can't go any faster around Vail pass (not that you will be going over the pass but you get the idea.)

According to Google maps it looks like you should be able to get between the two using a combination of the I-70 access road and surface streets http://goo.gl/maps/pF528
TVB

Post by TVB »

If there really is no other way, I'd take the expressway, especially for a fairly short distance like 3/4 mile. As neither fish nor fowl, I know I'd annoy people either way, but I'd rather annoy cagers by making them slow down a little than annoy pedestrians/pedalers by intruding on their motor-free zone. That's why I would – and have – taken my 50cc for a short distance on an interstate, but have never taken it on a ped path.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Thanks guys. This is the type of discussion I need. I've got it off my list of must do's, scooting to Vail that is, so I won't be traveling there again on MB in the close future. I spoke with 2 local guys: one with a Honda Ruckus and the other with a 150 Stella and they use the bike path through Dowd Junction, but I REALLY felt like I was intruding and maybe they traveled at night rather than mid day. In this one location, as is Glenwood Canyon it's an either/or :I-70 or the bike path, no side roads as the mountain is in the way for these stretches ... in other words you can't get there from here without making THIS decision. Lowes is now open?? it didn't look like it last week. Bring on Whole Foods.

avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

oh, I wouldn' ride the bike path between Breck and Frisco either, no need to as there are MANY alternatives. To get to Copper and places east I can go through Leadville and bypass I70. But then there would be the stretch between Copper and Gentleman's Gulch, which offers the same predicament.

BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I have a very similar situation that I deal with often around here. Instead of a rock formation, it's the Potomac River. If I need to go to the Maryland side near National Harbor, I could either go north 3 miles, then crawl through downtown and head back south 6 miles, easily a 45 minute miserable trip. Other option is just go south 3 miles and cross on I-495, the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. I tried option 2 a while back on a group ride and it wasn't bad. Now I do it regularly and by myself. It's a very busy stretch of interstate with express and local lanes seperated, but most of the faster drivers and trucks stick to the express lanes. I have to get on and ride about 1 1/2 miles to the first exit on the other side. Same for the return trip. There is a wide pedestrian cyclist path alongside the bridge as well, but probably not a realistic option for me. The next bridge south of there is about 40 miles south!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

OK, Avonpirate, next riding season Tocsik and I need to head up your direction and test out the route :P.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Please don't travel on the far right side of your lane. You endanger yourself every moment you do it by inviting cars and trucks to pass you in your own lane. It also makes them think it's OK to do that. This is the easiest way to get run off the road.

Own your lane! They have one or two others that they can use to get past you. Stay in the middle to middle left. With those small wheels, you want that extra room to avoid things like potholes in the road.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Tocsik and Skully 93 - u r on! Snow on the Bald Spot at the Beav last night so the seasons are definately changing.
Lost My Cage: Owning a lane on I-70 is a great suggestion. We do have very wide shoulders because during elk calfing season the bike path is closed and spinners need to use the Interstate to get from point A to B. And given my bike accident in the roundabout, I now always spin in the center of a lane.
Potholes are a danger everywhere in this climate. It was a news story in July: a huge pothole revealing a WW II railroad tunnel to Camp Hale.

Thanks for all the input, I'm like a sponge in matters such as this and experience speaks to me with great influence.

Syd

Post by Syd »

I know it's been a while since I was up there, but isn't 6 or the frontage road still open between Avon and Vail?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Syd: Hwy 6 is open: East Vail to Dowd Junction(or West Vail), then resumes Minturn to Dotsero. Further East of Vail and at Dowd Junction they turned HWY 6 into the bike path. Minturn to west Vail does not have an access utility road. It's great that ur asking, it gets me thinking!!!!

thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I would stick with the bike path and deal with the guilty feeling for the duration of the trip. Even a hardcore stink-eye from a peddler won't hurt nearly as bad as getting nailed by a cager who is too busy texting behind the wheel to notice you on your little scoot.

I almost got clipped by a guy in a gigantic Suburban last week. He kept creeping into my lane until I tapped on his window to wake him up (which in retrospect could have gone horribly wrong at 60MPH). Luckily I had plenty of evasive room left before I had to run into head on traffic.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
BootScootin'FireFighter

I just saw found this video this morning. A group ride 2 weeks ago I put together out and around Southern MD for around 110 miles. That's me leading with the bright yellow jacket, crossing from VA to MD on the Wilson Bridge.

<iframe width="960" height="380" src="http://contour.com/stories/scooters-acr ... ight=380px" frameborder="0"></iframe>
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

bootscootinff: what a cool video! I like the active map on the right. I could feel the whoosh of that huge truck when you were merging. And that white car on the side made me nervous. I-70 here is full of those big trucks. In fact Avon made national news Memorial weekend when the truck crashed over the bridge and landed on the roaod beneathw/ rear tires of trailer still on the bridge. Quite the fireworks.

VWbusguy: what year bus? I admire your ability to tap on a window while riding. I do not have the skill set to knock on someones window while traveling 60mph. Unfortunatley the victimized 'girl' in me would come out, then my 'trucker' would verbally show up.

Thanx for the input.!!

magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

BootScoot: Cool video. Is that a Stella behind you? What kind of box does he have on there? It looks pretty cool!
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I have had lots of VWs of various vintages in the past. My current bus (van really) is a 1985 Vanagon Westfalia. It is a full camper with 100W solar panel, 210 amp hour battery bank, Shadyboy awning and a bunch of other mods that make boondock camping more comfortable. It has also been sporting a Zetec 2.0L from Ford Racing since 2007 to replace the under-powered stock engine.

Knocking on the Suburban's window seemed like the easiest thing to do since he was only about a foot away from me (and closing) when it happened. I had already tried the horn, but got no response. I just reached over and thumped on his window a couple times with the side of my hand and he suddenly started paying attention again and got back in his own lane... At the next traffic light I pulled right up next to him, planing to ask him what he was thinking, but he wouldn't look over. When the light turned green, he floored it and left me sucking his exhaust fumes.

I have been thinking about making a mount for my ice axe on the front of the scooter. This way, when someone wants to share my lane without looking first, I could leave them with a permanent reminder about how important it is to watch out for other traffic...
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
Syd

Post by Syd »

avonpirate wrote:Syd: Hwy 6 is open: East Vail to Dowd Junction(or West Vail), then resumes Minturn to Dotsero. Further East of Vail and at Dowd Junction they turned HWY 6 into the bike path. Minturn to west Vail does not have an access utility road. It's great that ur asking, it gets me thinking!!!!
I've driven that stretch a lot, and that turn on I-70 where 6 becomes the bike trail (Dowd Junction, I guess) is a super nice fast sweeper over the river (if you are driving a car in good weather, anyway). So I don't know, between the big rigs steaming westbound, down from Copper, burning brakes all the way, to the hordes rushing to get to Denver by sunset, I think I'd take the stinkeye.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Thatvwbusguy: I've watched a video on Youtube, where at a light a guy gets off his scoot, grabs the ax he carries with and moves towards the honking auto behind him. I'm a newbie and eventually will be able to make attachments on this site, but right now not in my skill set. The van sounds great and like one of my 'dream cars.' I'd like to put solar onto my '92 Previa .

Syd: that's how the Ruckus and Stella guy felt as well. Fortunately, I've got that trip out of my system, for this season anyway. But I just don't want to kevetch all winter long. The Lookie-Loos add to the dynamics, as well as rock rolling/dropping randomly on the highway. Several deaths, each year, on that account as well. Life in the mountains: at best a gamble.

Syd

Post by Syd »

^^ I was looking at Google maps and noticed a big house or building without any access except by using the bike path. Is that a Highway Maintenance yard, or somebody's trophy home?
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Syd.... we do have trophy homes here, I'm not certain which structure you are speaking of. The 'Nordic Center' is on the Vail GC and looks like it only has access via bike path, but there is a undeveloped single road to it. Currently, it's possible to spin on a bike path to Idaho Springs going east, Aspen going west. Lot's of isolated multi million dollar properties in both directions. However, they still close hwy's and roads when the Pro Cycling Tour is here.

BootScootin'FireFighter

magnato1 wrote:BootScoot: Cool video. Is that a Stella behind you? What kind of box does he have on there? It looks pretty cool!
That would be Mr. KJ's 1980 P200. It's a beautiful machine, one of several bikes he owns. He's most often the ride leader of our little group, but sometimes I like to take the reigns. If anyone went to the East Coast Classic rally this summer in New Jersey, he led the group ride out and around Cape May.
Attachments
p200eastcoast.jpg
p200eastcoast.jpg (65.08 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
p200b.jpg
p200b.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
p200.jpg
p200.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

BootScoot,

That is so sweet looking! The box is so sleek and stylish. Any way I can get in contact with him to find out where he got the box and the rack? I may be getting a 4T this weekend and if I do, I really want a box and haven't seen anything that would look cool on it, but that.looks.awesome!
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

avonpirate wrote: Lowes is now open?? it didn't look like it last week. Bring on Whole Foods.
Been open since early August. There is a way to get from Vail to Glenwood Springs without going on I-70 as we found out a couple years ago when westbound I-70 was closed after a rock slide took out large chunks of the interstate. It only add a couple hours to the trip. :) http://goo.gl/maps/uZqH1 and I don't think you would want to do it in the winter.
kev187

Post by kev187 »

cdwise wrote:
avonpirate wrote: Lowes is now open?? it didn't look like it last week. Bring on Whole Foods.
Been open since early August. There is a way to get from Vail to Glenwood Springs without going on I-70 as we found out a couple years ago when westbound I-70 was closed after a rock slide took out large chunks of the interstate. It only add a couple hours to the trip. :) http://goo.gl/maps/uZqH1 and I don't think you would want to do it in the winter.
This box?

Yup, thats my 1980 Vespa P200, it was a barn find, covered in the back of a garage for 20 years. And yes... other than the cowls thats the original paint. But about $2000 has been put in it otherwise.

The Box and thats what its called "THE BOX" its written on it, was original OEM vespa equipment on the touring model, and I have come across others now and then. You see them on ebay and hell last year at our vintage club xmas party someone gave one away as a gift. They are big, usually missing the keys to the locks ect.. but yes, cool.

The rack is the OEM BBQ rack as they are reffered to, you can get these for a Stella, but you need to drill holes in the frame for the mountaing bolts.

I had a stella, it was my 1st scoot, but I sold it once I got the P200. Stellas are great fun :-) I need the extra power (Im 6'3") love the P!

Chris led a great ride this day, good day out!
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

What a beautiful bike!!!! definatley eye candy!!!

magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Kev,

Your scoot is amazing, really pristine looking, but what I really love is that box on your scoot. It pulls the whole look together. I would LOVE to find one. I searched all over the internet for "the box" and "vespa" with no luck. No references, nothing. I suppose the chances of finding them are probably pretty slim... :(
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Kev,

Also, how do you like the Prima whitewalls? I read somewhere that they're nice tires until you get onto wet ground and then they're not so nice.
kev187

Post by kev187 »

magnato1 wrote:Kev,

Also, how do you like the Prima whitewalls? I read somewhere that they're nice tires until you get onto wet ground and then they're not so nice.
The box does show up now and then, but i will agree hard to find. so far the prima white walls have oerformed quite well, have done several long trips on them with no issues.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Lostmycage wrote:Please don't travel on the far right side of your lane. You endanger yourself every moment you do it by inviting cars and trucks to pass you in your own lane. It also makes them think it's OK to do that. This is the easiest way to get run off the road.

Own your lane! They have one or two others that they can use to get past you. Stay in the middle to middle left. With those small wheels, you want that extra room to avoid things like potholes in the road.
Yup. :+!:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

kev187 wrote:
magnato1 wrote:Kev,

The box does show up now and then, but i will agree hard to find. so far the prima white walls have oerformed quite well, have done several long trips on them with no issues.
Kev,

Since I am totally new to this whole market, can you tell me where one of these boxes might 'show up' so I can keep a look out? I am totally serious about finding one! Thanks!
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

A beautiful day in the neighborhood, and these days are limited. New gondola going into Vail Village and I'm interested in it's progress. So, I rode on the 'wild side.' this time taking I-70 from Minturn to the W Vail exit. It wasn't so bad. I stayed on the right of the wide shoulder, where all the bungee chords seem to migrate to. Coming back west:through Dowd Junction where rock slides are frequent, a lot of rock debris. Hunters are around but for the most part. the # of tourists (tunnel trash as locals call 'em) is down and EVERYTHING is safer now. (Some time I'll tell you the story about the tourist who hit a road biker and dragged him for 200 yds and used a defense of "not guilty because of being delusioned by the new car smell of his Mercedes."
Bike Path or I-70 for 2 miles?: definately bike path coming west bcause of Dowd Junction. It was like doing slalom w/ fast moving traffic to my left.