2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Post by JHScoot »

Holy cow I think I just found my first motorcycle! If this late 40's dude can live with a bike rode by and styled for riders in a younger demographic, that is? Oh, and I have learned to "shift." So that changes the game so far as motorcycle choices =]

Being on a BUDGET I came across this for only $4800. I am sure some of you are aware. And I wonder what everyone thinks of this bike not just as a "starter" bike but one a scooterisit such as myself might enjoy riding some days? What got me were the awesome specs. Even though I know nothing of specs, they sound good to me! Fuel injected, liquid cooled, and apparently a goodly amount of usable power. It's said it can cruise at 80mph and get up to 100+ in varying conditions.

It also has a "slipper" clutch to help us newbies not lose our lives doing something stupid in a downshift. And the clutch is said to be light and "short." So its just a flick and a tap and the gear is there :)

IMO after reading much about this bike it is sporty, sure. But not a sport bike by definition. It's a small motorcycle disguised as something fierce (NINJA!) but perfect for urban commuting. It weighs just 379lbs and is said to be very flickable. Take off its plastic clothes and I think its a perfect companion bike for any scooter stable.

So at $4800, any takers? And can you imagine the used market? Even cheaper! And mods? Hmm....

What do you say? Any Kawasaki Ninja enthusiasts out there in BuddyLand?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A3wHjJnZLzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I love the look of Ninja's. Would love to be able to ride it but at age 50 unless they make it automatic it is just a dream.......
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

When I went for a motorcycle I just wanted something cheap and reliable to use when the time it takes me to get there is an issue. Honestly I am really turned off by almost all sportsbikes, both for the aesthetics and the stigma that goes with riding one.

I looked around a bunch and was going to set on a vintage honda but couldn't find something that would accomodate my short inseam... snagged myself a Buell Blast from 02 for only 1500$
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I have test ridden the Ninja 500. It is a BASIC bike. NO frills at all. It was fun but.... not for me. I like to go long distances and any Ninja is not built for long term comfort. Short rides, up to an hour, are loads of fun. No storage at all so buy a backpack too.

I don't know anything about the Ninja 300 however. Its nice looking!
Rusty J

Looks impressive

Post by Rusty J »

Appears to be a good machine -- nice to see Kawasaki putting some effort into this niche.

Needs aftermarket sidecases though.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Rusty J wrote:Appears to be a good machine -- nice to see Kawasaki putting some effort into this niche.

Needs aftermarket sidecases though.
seems pretty awesome =]

Lokky wrote:When I went for a motorcycle I just wanted something cheap and reliable to use when the time it takes me to get there is an issue. Honestly I am really turned off by almost all sportsbikes, both for the aesthetics and the stigma that goes with riding one.

I looked around a bunch and was going to set on a vintage honda but couldn't find something that would accomodate my short inseam... snagged myself a Buell Blast from 02 for only 1500$
yeah i am trying to get past that myself. in the car world a term is known for a certain kind of styling. "boy racer" it's called. this bike is somewhat that. and as a middle aged man? i don't want to appear the 50 y/o having a mid life crisis

hey wtf am i talking about i have rode a scooter for two years. :shock:

ok so that takes care of the stigma part. screw it. honestly i ride to ride and what is best to ride for me. this bike sounds great. and it has a small engine, is lightweight, modern....it has it all for what it is. i can't let some silly plastic disqualify it from contention :)

plus i think in black it hides its styling a good deal. could be worse. i think....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YgojtI7zyJ ... w&hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
Milt

Post by Milt »

"I love the look of Ninja's. Would love to be able to ride it but at age 50 unless they make it automatic it is just a dream......."

Just curious, Why is that the case (the automatic requirement)? I am in my 60s and, in addition to my scooter, ride an 88 inch Harley - no trouble shifting that thing at all.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I both love and hate what Kawasaki did with the Ninja. Let's start off with what I love about this new move:

They are finally realizing that there is a space between 250cc and 600cc that many, MANY people would love to live in. That to me is prime "commuter" motorcycle territory. This is where parallel twins shine and where you can get serious speed without serious engine size and weight. The bikes in the sub 500cc range are always nimble but not *too* small. Honda built their empire on bikes below 500cc's. I would love to see bikes like the Suzuki TU250 get bumped up to a TU350, a 400cc Triumph or even a return of the Rebel 450/500 range. These mid size bikes give tons of power where you need it on the street, but make commuting on the highways not just "doable" but enjoyable with room to spare. It's a long ignored category in the US and I'm glad Kawasaki is moving into it.

What I hate?

They are doing that prototypical sportbike "creep". They are upping the power and eliminating the lower tier bike. They are trying to out-displace Honda's "baby fireblade" CBR250r. They are doing the typical one-upmanship game, and in the process upping the price. Now, Kawasaki no longer has a venerable 250 in their stable... at least in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if other builders took this as a nod for "MOAR POWAH" and cut lower displacement bikes totally in an effort to join the arms race, and thus upping their prices. Forget the fact that in the rest of the real world, the 125cc market is WAY more competitive and many people do not progress beyond that license classification. The bikes are affordable and there are TONS of variety. But, it wouldn't be the first time where manufacturers think that America shouldn't get what the rest of the world has and pretends to know what's best for us (Much like Honda's "factory chopper"... 5 years too late after the custom chopper craze has fizzled out).

So, yeah. That's my take on it. I for one had a soft spot in my heart for the littlest Ninja, since in the city it was far more useful and fun. But, sportbike culture isn't known for being about "sport" in the US as it is about "power".
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
phatch

Post by phatch »

If I had to go out and buy a bike right now, this would be the one. As much as I love the Street Triple, FZ8, vintage Hondas and the like, this one fits the bill. 300 cc is perfect; strong enough to hang, but still good gas mileage and not (in my scooter opinion) overpowered. All the specs you listed...

@Neo - yeah it's creeping up from 250, but I think you're spot on about Honda's "empire" - in all honesty, I think they need to just bring back the CB 350-ish-type bike (but NOT a Shadow!). Can you imagine that "vintage" bike, with modern accessible parts and support/warranty?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Milt wrote:"I love the look of Ninja's. Would love to be able to ride it but at age 50 unless they make it automatic it is just a dream......."

Just curious, Why is that the case (the automatic requirement)? I am in my 60s and, in addition to my scooter, ride an 88 inch Harley - no trouble shifting that thing at all.
i thought the same until i tried it. it was easy, i won't mind at all. this Ninja is said to require less of it in traffic, too. thats good. less then the 250, that is. its one of the reasons some are calling this an ideal all around commuter
phatch wrote:If I had to go out and buy a bike right now, this would be the one. As much as I love the Street Triple, FZ8, vintage Hondas and the like, this one fits the bill. 300 cc is perfect; strong enough to hang, but still good gas mileage and not (in my scooter opinion) overpowered. All the specs you listed...

@Neo - yeah it's creeping up from 250, but I think you're spot on about Honda's "empire" - in all honesty, I think they need to just bring back the CB 350-ish-type bike (but NOT a Shadow!). Can you imagine that "vintage" bike, with modern accessible parts and support/warranty?
yes the more i read and hear about this bike the better it sounds. there seems very little to fault with it as a small motorcycle imo. it would seem to do its job and take the class to the next level, too. i don't think it will start a "power war," bigger cc, etc. that has been on for awhile, and some interesting small bikes are still around. but maybe 300cc will become the new 250cc and that will be that

whatever the case for those who don't like the faring (i don't) look beneath it and this is one sweet all around bike imo. and the riding position is "standard." so any scooterist should feel right at home on one.

i think this vid gives a pretty clear assessment. this is the god awful green and black abs "SE" edition. but this guy lets us know whats under all that racy plastic

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5wzNd9yd81g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Milt wrote:"I love the look of Ninja's. Would love to be able to ride it but at age 50 unless they make it automatic it is just a dream......."

If I used shifting when younger it would not be an issue. I am not sure I can learn to shift now and be safe on the road.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

I owned a 2009 Ninja 250 for around a year. They are a blast. Im not sure why they went to 300, as the 250 had more than enough power for everything I threw at it.

I have to agree with Gr8Dog though, these are not great for rides longer than an hour or so. They are super comfortable for short rides, though.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ well it must be just as or more "comfortable" then a scooter, no? a Buddy, for instance?

i mean i can ride a scooter for a couple hours plus no problem. get off and stretch a little and go another hour or more. how are these bikes any different concerning comfort? is it ergonomics, etc? or maybe just a subjective thing?

the seating position looks comfy and what not? i mean idk? i don't really expect any bike to be too comfortable. but if its "an hour and done" with this one or the 250, it must be somehow bone crushing. i can't imagine that is so, but you never know....
Riding is riding
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
I was actually contemplating this as my first bike, but 5,000 is just way too much for a first bike (yes, I'd pay the 200 extra for the special edition. I like Kawi green heh). Add in tax+title, dealer fees, and finance charges for a new loan and I'd be looking at over 5,500.

When you can go out and buy a barely used Ninja 500 or a pre-09 250 for 2,500 (or less), the 300 brand new doesn't look as sweet. Most people drop their first bike and I'd be pissed as hell if I dropped that brand new bike.

I would consider it as my 2nd bike if I felt that I wouldn't desire something bigger and wanted something with modern styling like Fuel Injection, but I think the ol' Ninja 500 (or suzuki gs500f more likely) is probably all I would ever need or want. Get any bigger than that in the sportbike market and you start getting into race-like ergonomics and extremely uncomfortable rides except for the few that have more 'standard' stances (SV650).

@Stormswift: If you have 9 grand sitting around collecting dust you could always look into the Honda NC700X. Available automatic transmission with paddle shifters at the left handgrip (if you want to change them manual. You don't have to) :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

despite the atypical person who rides them, Ninjas are really good little machines according to my MC riding pals. They were kind of excited about the tech in the 300.

I don't like the sportbike look, but it is a decent machine. However, with MC, I say don't buy new unless you're made of $$. They are often purchased and sold used at a pretty steep discount for low miles or a minor scuff.
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

skully93 wrote:I say don't buy new unless you're made of $$. They are often purchased and sold used at a pretty steep discount for low miles or a minor scuff.
~~
Depends a lot on the bike. After the deprecation of taking it off the showroom floor, the little ninjettes hold their value in the used market. You can buy one in spring for 2500 bucks, ride it for 4 months to learn, then re-sell it for almost what you paid for it. The turnaround on them is really quick. Miles are mostly irrelevant from what I've seen, and minor scrapes on fairings or mirrors have little impact on their resale value so long as nothing is actually damaged.
~~
Milt

Post by Milt »

Stormswift wrote:
"f I used shifting when younger it would not be an issue. I am not sure I can learn to shift now and be safe on the road."

My 'significant other', who is 47, is facing the same issue. We started her off on a Buddy 150 (that's why we have two of them) and she will learn to shift on a stand-supported bike. After she is comfortable doing that, she will ride a small standard MC for a bit and transition to a 74 inch Sportster when she is ready. She looks forward to having a better view on our longer mountain rides.

You already have the two wheels and a motor thing under your belt as a scooterist - you just need to add the gear-shifting thing and you will be good to go. I would advise the advanced course from MSF when you are ready (after you have gotten comfortable with a conventional MC).

Don't sell yourself short and keep the shiny side up...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

skully93 wrote:despite the atypical person who rides them, Ninjas are really good little machines according to my MC riding pals. They were kind of excited about the tech in the 300.

I don't like the sportbike look, but it is a decent machine. However, with MC, I say don't buy new unless you're made of $$. They are often purchased and sold used at a pretty steep discount for low miles or a minor scuff.
yeah i was impressed with the tech in the 300, too. its a sweet little machine....

.... however now that you guys mention it, what of the used market, and what should i look for so far as mileage, etc? can i really get a late model Ninja 650 with under 10K miles for $3,500? how long would a bike like a Ninja 650 last? are they reliable?

i also like the suzuki svf650 and yamaha fz6r. i guess just something reliable and fun to ride and feels like a scooter

:lol:
Last edited by JHScoot on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I've been following this bike since word of it prior to launch. I even went to a dealership the week after the Kawasaki Time Square Takeover to see if they had any in to sit on yet. They chuckled and said it would be a month or so. I'm happy with what they did to the Ninjette. The fuel-injection and extra CC's dedicated to low end power were a smart idea. I suspect the claimed 39hp will dyno more like mid-30's. Given its HP per engine size, and other specs, I assume it'll get around 60mpg and pull to around 100mph before having to really work for it. Cool bike. I'd like to test ride one and compare it against my CBR250R.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Scootagangsta

Post by Scootagangsta »

Why not go with the BV 350?

Looks like a cool ride but id go with a used R6 that i wouldn't care if I dropped it.
<a href="http://www.xeputu.com/">Internet Marketing</a>
Rusty Shackleford

Night and day performance difference between a motorcycle and a scooter and an R6 is uncomfortable, expensive to insure, and gets poor mileage. The buzz is that Honda is answering the Ninja 300 with a CBR500 twin.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Night and day performance difference between a motorcycle and a scooter and an R6 is uncomfortable, expensive to insure, and gets poor mileage. The buzz is that Honda is answering the Ninja 300 with a CBR500 twin.
That's what I meant by a "power war" in the smaller displacements. Don't get me wrong: A CBR500?!?! HELL YES!!!! But, I would like to see the 125's get a little more love over here as well. You know Kawasaki upped the bike to 300 to compete with Honda's CBR250r. That is the *only* reason it comes now. Not that it's a bad machine... no. Kawasaki has always been careful never to disturb the chi of their Ninjette. It's too good of a seller and still a beloved bike for ALL riders

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

neotrotsky wrote:
Rusty Shackleford wrote:Night and day performance difference between a motorcycle and a scooter and an R6 is uncomfortable, expensive to insure, and gets poor mileage. The buzz is that Honda is answering the Ninja 300 with a CBR500 twin.
That's what I meant by a "power war" in the smaller displacements. Don't get me wrong: A CBR500?!?! HELL YES!!!! But, I would like to see the 125's get a little more love over here as well. You know Kawasaki upped the bike to 300 to compete with Honda's CBR250r. That is the *only* reason it comes now. Not that it's a bad machine... no. Kawasaki has always been careful never to disturb the chi of their Ninjette. It's too good of a seller and still a beloved bike for ALL riders
A CBR500? There would have to be a huge difference in pricing between the 500 and 600 CBR for it to sell well.
You know if they were price close to each, people would just think "why not just get the 600?"
It would be best if Honda did what Kawi did and kept the 250 and just add a 300 or 400 to the line up.

Instead of a CBR500, Honda should make a CB 500. That would make my day.
phatch

Post by phatch »

scootavaran wrote: Instead of a CBR500, Honda should make a CB 500. That would make my day.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
I'm pretty sure the CBR600 is an inline 4 cylinder engine and the 500 is reported to be a twin. The power of a bike isn't all in the CC's. Those inline 4 sport bikes are mostly death machines to anyone that doesn't have experience on a motorcycle. A twin cylinder should be smoother and more predictable in power application making it a good choice for new riders as well as experienced riders who like sport bikes, but don't want a racing bike with turn signals (most 600+ sports). A lot of people complain that they outgrow the 250's in a matter of months, but everyone I've heard that started on a 500 has rode it for years to start and some even kept them for commuter bikes.

Also, I remember reading an article where several drivers drove the 300 in different ways to see what mileage they would get. The one who babied it the most got just over 100 MPG. The one that beat the everliving shit out of it still managed just over 50.
~~
phatch

Post by phatch »

C'mon Honda.
Rusty Shackleford

Tristik wrote:t...the CBR600 is an inline 4 cylinder engine and the 500 is reported to be a twin. The power of a bike isn't all in the CC's. Those inline 4 sport bikes are mostly death machines to anyone that doesn't have experience on a motorcycle. A twin cylinder should be smoother and more predictable in power application making it a good choice for new riders as well as experienced riders who like sport bikes, but don't want a racing bike with turn signals (most 600+ sports).
^This. It's the same reason Kawasaki has a 600 Ninja ZX-6R and NInja 650. The 600 is an all-top-end I4 race bike, and the 650 is an all-low-end street bike. The Hondas are the same. The 600 is a top-end-power track bike and the 500 will be a low-end-power street bike. At 150cc shy of the typical 650 middle-weight class street bike, I'm sure it'll be a little lower on HP, but higher on fuel economy... which has been Honda's niche as of late.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

The 250R is still available, and the zx-6r has been punched out to 636cc, like back in the early 2000's, so Kawasaki is thumbing it's nose at the status quo in the supersport arena. They also have the Ninja 650 standard along with the drool worthy Z1000 for the big cc crowd. Right now, Kawasaki is the game changer in the low end market, with Honda realizing that they need to keep up the pressure and add more models to complement the CBR250 and the NX700 line (the rumored 500 is real, but who knows if it will come to the US market). Yamaha is hanging by a thread with their old lineup, and Suzuki is no where to be seen ( I do expect some action by these two snoozers in the 2014 model year). The changes are happening, albeit slowly, from high end repli-racers to more affordable middle of the road UJMs and adventure/touring bikes. The economy dictates affordability, reliability, and low cost use. I think the next 5 years are going to be pretty sweet for "just regular motorcycles". I'll continue to hang on to my zx-6r, as there is no substitute when railing the twisties. But I see a middleweight standard in my future.........................
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
Tristik wrote:t...the CBR600 is an inline 4 cylinder engine and the 500 is reported to be a twin. The power of a bike isn't all in the CC's. Those inline 4 sport bikes are mostly death machines to anyone that doesn't have experience on a motorcycle. A twin cylinder should be smoother and more predictable in power application making it a good choice for new riders as well as experienced riders who like sport bikes, but don't want a racing bike with turn signals (most 600+ sports).
^This. It's the same reason Kawasaki has a 600 Ninja ZX-6R and NInja 650. The 600 is an all-top-end I4 race bike, and the 650 is an all-low-end street bike. The Hondas are the same. The 600 is a top-end-power track bike and the 500 will be a low-end-power street bike. At 150cc shy of the typical 650 middle-weight class street bike, I'm sure it'll be a little lower on HP, but higher on fuel economy... which has been Honda's niche as of late.
yeah i saw that on a youtube video. a rider was trying to explain how many 600cc bikes are faster then 650cc for the very reason you state. i have heard "their is no replacement for displacement" but apparently in some quarters that is not true

650cc, $7500 Ninja

636cc, $11,700 Ninja ZX6r

Riding is riding
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

rsrider wrote:The 250R is still available, and the zx-6r has been punched out to 636cc, like back in the early 2000's, so Kawasaki is thumbing it's nose at the status quo in the supersport arena. They also have the Ninja 650 standard along with the drool worthy Z1000 for the big cc crowd. Right now, Kawasaki is the game changer in the low end market, with Honda realizing that they need to keep up the pressure and add more models to complement the CBR250 and the NX700 line (the rumored 500 is real, but who knows if it will come to the US market). Yamaha is hanging by a thread with their old lineup, and Suzuki is no where to be seen ( I do expect some action by these two snoozers in the 2014 model year). The changes are happening, albeit slowly, from high end repli-racers to more affordable middle of the road UJMs and adventure/touring bikes. The economy dictates affordability, reliability, and low cost use. I think the next 5 years are going to be pretty sweet for "just regular motorcycles". I'll continue to hang on to my zx-6r, as there is no substitute when railing the twisties. But I see a middleweight standard in my future.........................
Well, Suzuki hasn't shown hardly any faith in the North American market, talking an almost Piaggio approach (albeit with FAR better customer service!). Their business in Asia is doing well, especially in the Indian market for their light truck and car division. Their bikes have been on a strange decline as of late.

And, Yamaha... I have no idea what they are doing. It's like they would rather make PA gear and pianos than motorcycles, and honestly I think they make more profit in their music division than they do their motorcycle division. While I hardly see a new Yamaha Vino 125 or dirtbike, their new high end digital show consoles and TONS of those cheap MG desks have been showing up in houses I work big and small, with every garage band sporting the latter because you can get a barebones 16 channel audio console for less than $350 brand new.

Kawasaki got tired of being left behind in the US market a few years ago and decided to play catch up in a serious way. The 300 I think is a good move... I just wish, for my own personal satisfaction of course, that smaller displacement bikes like the 125's would make it here too. But, gas would have to hit $5-6/gallon again for a long term.
Last edited by neotrotsky on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

lets make this into a sport bike / street bike thread :)

i have a question. i saw this on the Kawasaki site and thought it interesting, and apparently it has competitors. its called a "sport touring." my question is how is it and others different then a regular touring bike, and where does the "sport" part come in?

how is this different then say a Goldwing or similar? or some big Harley cruiser? in performance and riding dynamics, i mean?

hmm....

Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

great look at the size of the bike with riders on (Ninja 300)

(non english language)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WkcAL1TbWy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

JHScoot wrote:lets make this into a sport bike / street bike thread :)

i have a question. i saw this on the Kawasaki site and thought it interesting, and apparently it has competitors. its called a "sport touring." my question is how is it and others different then a regular touring bike, and where does the "sport" part come in?

how is this different then say a Goldwing or similar? or some big Harley cruiser? in performance and riding dynamics, i mean?

hmm....

Tha C14 is pretty much the ultimate Japanese tour rocket. It wins most comparo's. The only thing close made by the Japanese would be the Yamanail FJR. The Gold Wing is a luxo-tourer and is kinda in it's own category. Hardley's......you have to want one to own one. Ducati has the Multistrada S, but it is waaaaaaaaay more $$$$, and BMW has plenty of touring bikes, but nothing that will touch the raw speed of the C14. But these bikes are pigs, agile pigs, but still pigs. The Z1000 or the Ninja 1000 would make an excellent sport tourer. FZ1 and Bandit 1200 fall into the same group, but they're old, old tech. Triumph makes the Tiger, now in the more user friendly 800cc range as well as the 1050. Also, Triumph has the Street Triple, 675cc of awesome. I have a 2001 Triumph Sprint RS, lumped in the category of the Honda VFR800 of the time, and that thing is still going strong and will sport tour just fine (it such a good all rounder, I can't get rid of it) So, unless you're going to tour all the time or carry a pillion all the time, the big tourers don't make much sense (to me anyways). But if the C14 is your cuppa, it is probably the best of the Japanese, and cheaper (and probably better as well) as any of the Eurotrash bikes. But again, it's BIG....really BIG. And, it is also rip your arms out of their sockets fast, being basically a detuned zx-14r, the fastest production bike on the planet.............the 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa still holds the record for fastest production bike ever made, but the gentleman's agreement of limiting max speed of street bikes to 186 mph has neutered the ultimate speed wars.
Rusty Shackleford

JHScoot wrote:yeah i saw that on a youtube video. a rider was trying to explain how many 600cc bikes are faster then 650cc for the very reason you state. i have heard "their is no replacement for displacement" but apparently in some quarters that is not true
Correct...

Ninja 650 = 65hp @ 8,700rpm
Ninja ZX-6R = 108hp @ 14,100rom

Even though the 650 has more displacement, it's parallel twin with a lower compression ratio. The ZX-6R is 600cc inline 4, has a much higher redline, and runs higher compression. The 650 is a comfortable street bike with usable low-end power and gets decent fuel economy of 55mpg. The 600 is a track bike with much more forward-leaning ergonomics and a ridiculous amount of top-end power. At just 40mpg, no one buys one for fuel economy.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Rusty Shackleford wrote: At just 40mpg, no one buys one for fuel economy.
HA! I wish I got 40 mpg. If you're getting 40 mpg, you're doing it wrong. :twisted:
JAEGER

Post by JAEGER »

I read/heard at some point that the number of cylinders isn't as much the issue as the surface of the valves; i.e., that the number and diameter of the intake and exhaust valves is really the limiting factor, at least once you take compression out of the factor. I'm not nearly enough of a mechanic or engineer to say this as gospel, but the physics/mechanics of it makes sense to me.
rsrider wrote: HA! I wish I got 40 mpg. If you're getting 40 mpg, you're doing it wrong. :twisted:
:mrgreen: I was thinking the same thing.

(That said, I actually saw 40+ mpg on a recent run on my Triumph, which surprised me greatly. Usually bombing around DC it's closer to 30, but that's really riding like a jackass. :twisted: )

--Jaeger
"Exterminate all rational thought. That is the conclusion I have come to." -- Bill Lee, Naked Lunch
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 // 2013 Genuine Buddy 125
www.blackletter.org
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hi guys

anyone know of or have experience with one of these? Kawasaki Versys

if so how does it compare to the Ninja 650 in handling? i have read they share set ups of sorts, but the Versys is def taller. also, how does the Versys do in traffic so far as bobbing and weaving?

i would like w/e bike i get to have the ability to be rode spiritedly in traffic. like i do my scooters

Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i been looking around this morn and came across these. what is the word on the Suzuki Katana 600? i like the look. sort of timeless imo. from what i have seen anything from a '98 to '06 are available at very, very reasonable prices. many are even older so i guess the bikes are durable. some say "good first bike" yet others say "too heavy" or "too much bike" for a first. but of course i have been scooting two years so...

Riding is riding
alba eon

Post by alba eon »

JHScoot wrote:hi guys

if so how does it compare to the Ninja 650 in handling? i have read they share set ups of sorts, but the Versys is def taller. also, how does the Versys do in traffic so far as bobbing and weaving?

i would like w/e bike i get to have the ability to be rode spiritedly in traffic. like i do my scooters

This is my main ride now and I've got 25000 miles on mine in 18 months. Not sure how it compares to the Ninja in handling. The suspension is obviously taller and you will get more dive from the forks. Engine was remapped to give more usable power low down, sacrificing some top end speed (still does 120mph so you are not exactly losing much). It's a very nimble machine, short wheelbase gives quick turning ability. Essentially is it a slightly detuned sportbike on stilts. Makes it a great all rounder in my opinion. I do struggle to be smooth on it at low speeds, not sure if that my failing or the bike.

What I really love about it is that it can do most anything and not look out of place. Race track or forest roads, it can do them all.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Milt wrote:Stormswift wrote:
"f I used shifting when younger it would not be an issue. I am not sure I can learn to shift now and be safe on the road."

My 'significant other', who is 47, is facing the same issue. We started her off on a Buddy 150 (that's why we have two of them) and she will learn to shift on a stand-supported bike. After she is comfortable doing that, she will ride a small standard MC for a bit and transition to a 74 inch Sportster when she is ready. She looks forward to having a better view on our longer mountain rides.

You already have the two wheels and a motor thing under your belt as a scooterist - you just need to add the gear-shifting thing and you will be good to go. I would advise the advanced course from MSF when you are ready (after you have gotten comfortable with a conventional MC).

Thirty five years ago I rode a 'regular' motorcycle, of course I was young, shifting was no big deal. I drive a manual transmission car and am thinking of going to something with an automatic, just because. It's really no big of a problem, I can still ride a motorcycle that you shift, my son has a Yamaha R6, love to shift, just don't want to all the time anymore. There's no rule saying you're too old to learn something new, it's just a case of if you want to....
'Stormy' a couple years riding has given you the experience of riding what is the next step that you're willing to take?
My son's friend is selling his Suzuki GZ250, great bike, do I want it?? Who knows. I'd like a Urual, in absolute love with the styling as well as as the Enfield. Do I want to go back to a 'shifting' bike? Donno...... I just love getting on a bike and rolling back on the throttle and away I go!! Maybe a Vespa 300 is the next step for me, you have to decide which way you want to go.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
Versys: A guy at work drives his almost everyday outside of winter and I've never heard him have any issues other than a nail in a tire. From what I understand, they are basically a Ninja with a few tweaks. They supposedly handle the twisties as well as a Ninja does, but have a more comfortable riding position.

Katana 600: Some people say the older (80's or early 90's) ones are acceptable bikes to start on. Some don't. They are heavier than they really should be and that's part of the reason they aren't great starter bikes. I don't know why the older ones are considered acceptable. I assume it's a combination of older technology producing lower power than today's 600's, and the fact that most bikes lose a little bit of their power when they get old. Don't quote me on that, just my assumption.

I talked to my local dealer today about trading in my Blur in spring for possibly the 300 (or a used bike depending on his inventory). He told me to not discount the current 250's as they are all going to be discounted to under 4,000 after the 300's arrive. Guess we'll see what's available. A brand new 250 at about 3,800 might be too good to pass up.
~~
Last edited by Tristik on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JHScoot wrote:I have a question. i saw this (Concours 14) on the Kawasaki site and thought it interesting, and apparently it has competitors. its called a "sport touring." my question is how is it and others different then a regular touring bike, and where does the "sport" part come in?

How is this different then say a Goldwing or similar? or some big Harley cruiser? in performance and riding dynamics, i mean?
Well, the Goldwing is a giant road sofa that is really set-up for 2-up long distance rides in maximum comfort. The Harleys are a cranky old school design that only a mother could love - but there are a lot of mothers out there :wink: . Sport touring bikes, on the other hand, are a cross between performance and highway rideability. Honda makes a couple of good ones - the NT 700 and the ST 1300. Neither has much in common with a Goldwing.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Wow, this has generated a lot of comment.

The 250 had definite sportbike cred. It was and is a learner bike for those lucky enough to live near a track. The Honda is a single and while it is close to the performance of the Kawi, the Kaw still had the edge, even at 250cc.

I like how sportbikes look. I don't like how they sit. You lean forward on your crotch and "serious" ones have a seat pad a bicyclist would reject. They are no fun unless you have some wind under you or you have a tankbag to hold you up. This bike seems to have a better seat and higher bars. I expect the ones that are raced are modified as this one has higher, more normal bars.

Until the last couple of years, the 400-500cc class was a staple. The Suzuki GS500 was the last to bow out. Low sales due to the modern displacement lust. 300cc is hardly overpowered.

If somebody wants to learn to shift, the way to do it is like we used to do it in the 70s. A small, light bike used to practice off-road until the skills are there. I really think the barrier is more mental than physical. It would be easier to contemplate a drop on the dirt than hard pavement and certainly not a good idea to learn in traffic.

I sure would like to see more standards but I expect any 300 to 500cc bikes will arrive in "sporty" guise because the sellers think that's what the most likely buyers (almost certainly young males) want to see themselves on. I doubt many will even be cruisers since that crowd lusts after size above all. It amazes me that Honda has been so successful for so long with their 250 Rebel (formerly Twinstar).
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

alba eon wrote:
JHScoot wrote:hi guys

This is my main ride now and I've got 25000 miles on mine in 18 months. Not sure how it compares to the Ninja in handling. The suspension is obviously taller and you will get more dive from the forks. Engine was remapped to give more usable power low down, sacrificing some top end speed (still does 120mph so you are not exactly losing much). It's a very nimble machine, short wheelbase gives quick turning ability. Essentially is it a slightly detuned sportbike on stilts. Makes it a great all rounder in my opinion. I do struggle to be smooth on it at low speeds, not sure if that my failing or the bike.

What I really love about it is that it can do most anything and not look out of place. Race track or forest roads, it can do them all.
thanks for the post. very good info. it sounds like a great all around bike to own. versatile to say the least
KABarash wrote:
Milt wrote:Stormswift wrote:

Thirty five years ago I rode a 'regular' motorcycle, of course I was young, shifting was no big deal. I drive a manual transmission car and am thinking of going to something with an automatic, just because. It's really no big of a problem, I can still ride a motorcycle that you shift, my son has a Yamaha R6, love to shift, just don't want to all the time anymore. There's no rule saying you're too old to learn something new, it's just a case of if you want to....
'Stormy' a couple years riding has given you the experience of riding what is the next step that you're willing to take?
My son's friend is selling his Suzuki GZ250, great bike, do I want it?? Who knows. I'd like a Urual, in absolute love with the styling as well as as the Enfield. Do I want to go back to a 'shifting' bike? Donno...... I just love getting on a bike and rolling back on the throttle and away I go!! Maybe a Vespa 300 is the next step for me, you have to decide which way you want to go.
i think this is pretty right on now that i have learned to shift. somewhat...

but i have no doubt i can get on just about any "ordinary" motorcycle and ride it. i realized using the clutch is almost like using the rear break in a quick stop situation. just with an extra step worked in to change gears and somewhat quicker when moving along. but thats about it, really. practice smoothing things out in a parking lot a time or two and you're golden. the main thing is i know how to ride and am comfortable on two wheels. all that remains . so the shifting is like second nature once you get going. imo. sure i am a bit nervous about downshifting and what not. but i figure that will come quick to me with practice.
Tristik wrote:~~
Versys: A guy at work drives his almost everyday outside of winter and I've never heard him have any issues other than a nail in a tire. From what I understand, they are basically a Ninja with a few tweaks. They supposedly handle the twisties as well as a Ninja does, but have a more comfortable riding position.

Katana 600: Some people say the older (80's or early 90's) ones are acceptable bikes to start on. Some don't. They are heavier than they really should be and that's part of the reason they aren't great starter bikes. I don't know why the older ones are considered acceptable. I assume it's a combination of older technology producing lower power than today's 600's, and the fact that most bikes lose a little bit of their power when they get old. Don't quote me on that, just my assumption.

I talked to my local dealer today about trading in my Blur in spring for possibly the 300 (or a used bike depending on his inventory). He told me to not discount the current 250's as they are all going to be discounted to under 4,000 after the 300's arrive. Guess we'll see what's available. A brand new 250 at about 3,800 might be too good to pass up.
~~
hmm....that Versys does sound like a suitable choice. saw a 2010 for $6500, too. i forget where? but i think "leftover" models can be negotiable. price isn't a huge factor if i buy new, but i always want my best deal :)

i am middle aged. i like the Ninja now. will i in a few years? i can easily say the Versys is a bike i could like for awhile, and it looks somewhat grown up with luggage boxes attached

the Katana? i have rethought the styling and that is A LOT of faring. and i wonder if it needs to come off for basic servicing? it is also painted garishly in many cases. maybe not so bad if not so much tupperware to cover. but its still cheap consideration as a true "first motorcycle" choice. i am also exploring other older bikes. things from the 90's and early 2000's. very interesting things out there....

oh, and sounds like either Ninja will be a step up from the Blur. good as the Blur is the Ninja seems a sweet little bike from what i have read. and the 250 has lots of mods for it. lots of fun can be had there, too
Dooglas wrote:
JHScoot wrote:I have a question. i saw this (Concours 14) on the Kawasaki site and thought it interesting, and apparently it has competitors. its called a "sport touring." my question is how is it and others different then a regular touring bike, and where does the "sport" part come in?

How is this different then say a Goldwing or similar? or some big Harley cruiser? in performance and riding dynamics, i mean?
Well, the Goldwing is a giant road sofa that is really set-up for 2-up long distance rides in maximum comfort. The Harleys are a cranky old school design that only a mother could love - but there are a lot of mothers out there :wink: . Sport touring bikes, on the other hand, are a cross between performance and highway rideability. Honda makes a couple of good ones - the NT 700 and the ST 1300. Neither has much in common with a Goldwing.
the local mc cops ride the ST1300 police bike. not sure how many other forces use 'em. very nice bikes festooned with all the police gear and what not

i saw a comparison between the GW and a huge BMW. they liked the BMW more but said it was awful for passenger comfort. they said passenger comfort was half the battle with these luxo tourers and no one beats Honda and the GW in that department. they also said the instrument panel was dated but i like it. reminds me of a Volvo lol

the BMW had a screen operated by a wheel on the right hand grip. oh, big deal :roll:
Southerner wrote:Wow, this has generated a lot of comment.

The 250 had definite sportbike cred. It was and is a learner bike for those lucky enough to live near a track. The Honda is a single and while it is close to the performance of the Kawi, the Kaw still had the edge, even at 250cc.

I like how sportbikes look. I don't like how they sit. You lean forward on your crotch and "serious" ones have a seat pad a bicyclist would reject. They are no fun unless you have some wind under you or you have a tankbag to hold you up. This bike seems to have a better seat and higher bars. I expect the ones that are raced are modified as this one has higher, more normal bars.

Until the last couple of years, the 400-500cc class was a staple. The Suzuki GS500 was the last to bow out. Low sales due to the modern displacement lust. 300cc is hardly overpowered.

If somebody wants to learn to shift, the way to do it is like we used to do it in the 70s. A small, light bike used to practice off-road until the skills are there. I really think the barrier is more mental than physical. It would be easier to contemplate a drop on the dirt than hard pavement and certainly not a good idea to learn in traffic.

I sure would like to see more standards but I expect any 300 to 500cc bikes will arrive in "sporty" guise because the sellers think that's what the most likely buyers (almost certainly young males) want to see themselves on. I doubt many will even be cruisers since that crowd lusts after size above all. It amazes me that Honda has been so successful for so long with their 250 Rebel (formerly Twinstar).
you are right about the seating position issue. and i had the same impression not being around mc's most of my life, and still not too much. but it would seem some of todays "sport bikes" are in fact sold as equal parts street bike or "standard" and strive to put the rider upright as possible. the "clip on" handle bars and hardcore seating is saved for the "supersport" class

i found this a nice surprise as the more i read about "sport" bikes the more i like them. i also like the "naked" bikes (roadsters?) but like a bit of faring and a small windscreen for protection from the elements. but i like these bikes because they are modern and strive toward performance and handling and in some cases, even comfort it would seem. idk if all makers have such bikes, but it seems the japanese do

someone on youtube called this Yamaha the "Mustang GT" of motorcycles. a "daily rider." it even has a height adjustable seat and adjustable fore and aft handlebars

and apparently this beast has been named best "standard motorcycle" by cycleworld magazine two years running. now being a mc novice if you ask me if i see anything "standard" about this bike i would say heck no, man

and a supersport with those low handlebars and flat seat. i sat on one of these right before i began riding scooters. i thought "no way" then and would most likely feel the same now. this is all very interesting to me, though

Riding is riding
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I agree. That last Kaw you pictured is more of a "naked" than a standard. Notice the thin seat. The standards in sport clothing will have a sporty fairing but regular bars and a decent seat, like Kawasaki's 650 twin. Suzuki made a 650 4-cyl that was a similar pretender".
I like the Versys but I believe it's considerably taller than the other Kaw 650s, being a faux dualsport. As I understand it, in a move similar to the "sporty" standards, the Japanese have determined that most people who buy dualsports actually spend very little time offroad and so design most of their machines to look offroad rugged but these are actually 90+% street bikes.

If I had to pick a favorite, the Yamaha FZ8 really catches my eye. It's really probably more "naked" than standard but still a cool bike.

I think the dinky fairings are probably more trouble than they're worth. At least if there's no fairing at all, I can attach a real windscreen for the winter.
phatch

Post by phatch »

Southerner wrote:If I had to pick a favorite, the Yamaha FZ8 really catches my eye. It's really probably more "naked" than standard but still a cool bike.
Love those!

So I went into the local Kawa dealer yesterday to look at the 300's... boy oh boy, were they ITCHING to get rid of the over 20 2012 250's on the sales floor. Turns out Kawasaki wasn't supposed to introduce the 300 so early, and the shop is now stuck with a ton of bikes that are (this is gonna sound harsh) inferior to the new model being shipped out.

Thing is, they're offering the 250's for 3800 MSRP now, without charging freight or setup...
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Sounds like some 20 lucky people are in line for a bargain! It's a great little bike and there are even hot-rodding parts for those so inclined.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Southerner wrote:Sounds like some 20 lucky people are in line for a bargain! It's a great little bike and there are even hot-rodding parts for those so inclined.
yup. and i bet some dealers can and will go lower. maybe. idk the margin on those bikes, or any factory incentives. but it sounds like just over $4k OTD for a 250 as it stands. yeah, great little bike for many

sounds lie YOU have a pretty good handle on bikes, styling, design, and purpose. i am just getting started. the Versys came to mind again and i found older video (2009) of a guy track racing his stock Versys (tires are exception and one other minor thing) against supersports. how does he do? well, he makes a great argument for the Versy as a closet Ninja. link to his channel and a couple vids

https://www.youtube.com/user/molcular

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m7ivn5PeQz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6nDcOz7oOVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

phatch wrote:
Thing is, they're offering the 250's for 3800 MSRP now, without charging freight or setup...
Hella deal. and................Die Katana DIE!!!! They're cheap for a reason (well, actually several and they're all bad HA, I keed I keed, ). Go with something modern (if your budget allows), the newer bikes are so superior to anything over 10 years old it's not even funny. There are some nice old bikes, but once bikes get a certain age, and depending on the service record, they can go south quick if you're not paying close attention.
phatch

Post by phatch »

STOP fellas.... I don't need a reason to pick up a 250! But my gawd, were the salesmen hot to turn me away from the 300 and toward the bajillion 250's.