motorcycle/scooter junkyards.. do they exist?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bimbom

motorcycle/scooter junkyards.. do they exist?

Post by bimbom »

Would be a great way to save money and re-use old parts. I like anything that encourages sustainability. I live in NJ and didn't know if these are around.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not really [EDIT: not really any scooter junkyards, that is!], but a good place to check would be dealers, who often have some parts bikes sitting around in the back. Due to parts supply issues, my Vespa has picked up a lot of used parts from totaled scooters.

Part of the problem is what happens when an insured scoot gets totaled. The insurance companies will take them and try to sell them at auction. If they don't sell, they can sit, warehoused, for a long time. Sometimes the owner buys them back with a salvage title.

Some wind up in junkyards, but I don't know of scooter-specific ones. I do know of places that have mountains of wrecked motorcycles, though. I've seen them, at least.
Last edited by ericalm on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Around here, your best bet is tow yards or checking with towing companies, especially the ones with city lot or police contracts. Just a thought for another option. :)
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

There is supposed to be one around here in Kansas City somewhere... but I don't know the details. The guys at BlueStar would surely know more.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

They do indeed exist. We have one here in Richmond, VA called Pro Class Cycles. Good thing, too. Parts for old bikes can be really hard to find. I went all over town looking for parts with my friend for his 1983 Yamaha Virago 500. It was a one-off bike, so it was next to impossible.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I know of two:

Midway Cycle Parts in Madison, Alabama.

Bob's Used Motorcycle Parts in Phoenix, Arizona.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Don't forget All Bikes Sales in Rye, AZ (though I understand the sales part of the name isn't really accurate).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

They use to be all over the place, but then MC sales slacked off and the rise of the internet created places like epay, making it easier to not only sell parts, but buy them. Another brick and mortar type store that has gone the way of the pager.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

We used to have one here in Denver called The DUMP (Denver Used Motorcycle Parts). Very clever; but I don't see them on a search.
There are a few here though like Steele's.

Here's a site that lists them by state. None in NJ but one named Genuine in Le Roy, NY.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:Don't forget All Bikes Sales in Rye, AZ (though I understand the sales part of the name isn't really accurate).
One even closer than that: Bob's used cycle supply in the hip, shining neighborhood of South Phoenix! Great location for used junker bikes and parts that are hard to find un-molested by rust. Also, with ASU nearby it's a great resource for wrecked sportbikes and 'busas that have been "stunted" beyond their rider's abilities.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Syd wrote:Don't forget All Bikes Sales in Rye, AZ (though I understand the sales part of the name isn't really accurate).
Yep, beware the crazy guy. Howard's been up there and can discuss it in better detail. I can't see myself visiting; I hate watching salvageable old machines rust away while the owner does nothing to preserve them.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
KeLynn

Re: motorcycle/scooter junkyards.. do they exist?

Post by KeLynn »

bimbom wrote:Would be a great way to save money and re-use old parts. I like anything that encourages sustainability. I live in NJ and didn't know if these are around.
If you don't have an actual junkyard near you, a lot of people part out old bikes on eBay motors.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: motorcycle/scooter junkyards.. do they exist?

Post by jrsjr »

KeLynn wrote:If you don't have an actual junkyard near you, a lot of people part out old bikes on eBay motors.
...and here on Modern Buddy in the For Sale / Wanted forum. :wink: