Dropped my new Stella 4t

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

quen047

Dropped my new Stella 4t

Post by quen047 »

With only 79 miles on the odometer, I got in my first accident. A car suddenly turned right without signaling and I was following too close to stop thinking I was going to go around him. I fell on the left side of the bike at maybe 10 mph. Thanks to the cowl guards the Stella looks okay (and thanks to an armored jacket and the helmet so am I other that a bruised knee and ego- I can't believe I was tailgating like that) other that a scratch on the front fender. However there is a loose hose and either gas or oil on the left side of the rear wheel and what looks like two loose hoses on the right side of the rear wheel. I googled pictures of the engine and it looks like maybe they are supposed to be that way, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts? Anything that should be looked at? Gears and turn signals/electrics appear fine

Also, I didn't even realize that my head hit the pavement, but it did on the side. Do I need a new helmet? Any feedback is appreciated (other than a safety lecture. I have taken the MSF class and have years of motorcycling experience).

I included pics of the post-accident rear wheel on both sides and a pic of my helmet.
Attachments
2012-10-19 17.17.22.jpg
2012-10-19 17.17.22.jpg (107.23 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
2012-10-19 17.19.16.jpg
2012-10-19 17.19.16.jpg (154.63 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
2012-10-19 17.18.46.jpg
2012-10-19 17.18.46.jpg (83.86 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
z20k

Post by z20k »

Just my opinion.. I would replace the helmet. Universally I've heard that you should replace a helmet immediately after it's been down.
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Glad your ok!

Yep...your helmet is toast. It did exactly what you spent the money on it to do!

I don't know the set up on the 4T but it looks like gear oil flowed out the clutch vent while it was on it's left side.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

I think the one on the left side is the battery overflow tube if you follow it up you should see it attach to the battery and it is supposed to hang like that. I dont know of any hoses on the right side. If no one responds tonight I will go take a look at my Stella in the morning and see if I can find those.

Good luck and glad you are ok!

Max
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I suspect the ones on the engine side are for the carb fuel vent, and either a drain for the evap system or the drain tube for the carb fuel bowl.

The clear one is the vent tube for the battery.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
pesce

Post by pesce »

Glad you are ok! Yes all of those hoses are normal
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

The stuff on the engine and the rear hub was more than likely there before you crashed and you didn't notice it.

It looks like the greasy stuff they cover the engine/hubs with so that they don't corrode when in transit.

Check your oil level with the dipstick just to make sure.

Oh and buy yourself a new helmet.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

X5 on the helmet replacement.

It did its job and saved your bacon.
There is a compressable material in the helmet between the shell and the interior lining.
It is designed to absorb impact through compression and, once compressed, its mission has been accomplished......it does not return to its original design characteristics.

You can see the shell looks as though it experienced a very light hit but there is no way to determine if the inner shell has been compromised.

The material on the wheel is indeed the cosmoline applied for shipping purposes.....it comes off with tar remover or charcoal lighter.

The clear hose is indeed the battery breather tube and likely was there pre-drop.......you just noticed it now cause you are carefully inspecting the machine.

For all readers: I see you have it parked over some tree leaves, or so it appears.
To all new riders, Wet leaves are as dangerous as hitting a oil spot or ice.
In a turn, the machine will go down in the blink of an eye.

The fall season is the most beautiful and dangerous season to ride so keep this caution in mind while enjoying the colors.

Rob
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad you came out of it okay. Be sure you post on the "who's crashed" thread.

viewtopic.php?t=635&highlight=whos+crashed
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

No lecture here. I've had some "moments" myself.

Agreed with everybody else about the helmet. Even a new Arai would be cheaper than surgery for head trauma.

I don't know about the rest of the country but it seems that around here at least, the use of directional signals is deemed optional these days. Is this a nationwide thing?

Glad you came through OK. And is sounds like your Stella will be as well.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Thanks for all the feedback. The shop seemed to think it was probably more of a scratch than actual impact, but I bought a new helmet anyway. And they confirmed that the oil on the rear wheel is normal and was probably there before. And the bike is running well. :)
Keith

Post by Keith »

I don't know about the rest of the country but it seems that around here at least, the use of directional signals is deemed optional these days. Is this a nationwide thing?
Here in Ohio it seems to be rare for people to not use turn signals. That being said, the problem here is people hit the brakes long before putting on their turn signal. The turn signal is suppose to be a warning as to what is about to happen, not an explanation as to why somebody just slammed on the brakes!
05 Stella- "Moto Psycho"
07 Kymco Grand Vista 250- "DINK"
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Yup, the guy in front of me didn't use any signal. He just slowed down suddenly and turned. Generally though SF drivers seem pretty good to me though.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Good. Then maybe it's just local. It's not just my impression. Everybody I know talks about it.

It's a good thing brake lights are wired to the pedal.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

doh!

Well, simple mistake, seems like you learned a lot. Glad no serious damage to the bike and especially yourself.

Usually insurance will cover your gear, even if it embarrassing to have to tell them that you goofed.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Yep, that's Cosmolene (or the Indian equivalent) on the wheel and engine case. Strictly a protectant for shipping and storage that should have been removed by your dealer before delivery. It can be a pain to remove, so many dealers don't do a very thorough job.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

So, how do you remove the Cosmolene? There is some on my wheels too. And that blue stuff on the tires.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Silver Streak wrote:Yep, that's Cosmolene (or the Indian equivalent) on the wheel and engine case. Strictly a protectant for shipping and storage that should have been removed by your dealer before delivery. It can be a pain to remove, so many dealers don't do a very thorough job.

I was thinking about trying this stuff, will it do the trick?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... eaner.aspx
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

The whitewall cleaner should work for the whitewalls (but I really wouldn't know, as I had the stupid blue Savas swapped out on my Stella before delivery).

For the Cosmoline (I misspelled it above) removal you need either heat (steam cleaning) or a solvent, like mineral spirits. I used mineral spirits on mine. Works fine, but you have to soak it pretty thoroughly to soften it. Kerosene or Diesel fuel would work, too.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I bought a 4T with 79 miles on it, It'd gone down too heh.

quen047

Post by quen047 »

Ouch! Did you buy it like that? Great for parts.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

JohnKiniston wrote:I bought a 4T with 79 miles on it, It'd gone down too heh.

That'll buff right out! :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

quen047 wrote:Ouch! Did you buy it like that? Great for parts.
Yup I did, I've been riding the crap out of it. Looks like this now:

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

John's 4T is the/perfect beater for a CBR. Bought for $300 and patched back together with about three hours of work. It's to bashed, mods don't notice that it's a 4T either. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...