Watch your speed on those corners!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

michelle_7728

Watch your speed on those corners!

Post by michelle_7728 »

jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Whoa!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

First time I clicked the link, I thought it might be wrong. Just looked again and went through them. GUH!

Watch the corners… and the Corvettes.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

It looked like he might have gotten lucky and not hit his face, but who knows...the last picture stopped before he stopped moving is my guess.

Hopefully he was okay...
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

wow, I was just there on Thursday. I had to dodge a cruiser passing a pickup. Double yellow line for a reason.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
phatch

Re: Watch your speed on those corners!

Post by phatch »

michelle_7728 wrote:Watch the road on those corners!
Fixed. :wink:

Also, photo 19 makes me wish I had some photoshop skills.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

Thats why they have DODGE on the front of some autos.
it's not a brand, It's a warning...
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

i'd call that big 'unintended' air. WOW
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Yeah, that gets a "WHOA!". :shock: I hope he is ok.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

Yeah -- someone posted that on the target fixation thread as well. Spend less time mugging for the camera, dude.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Cruisers are such unwieldy machines... I once rode to my family's mountain house with my father's small cruiser, a Suzuki marauder 250.... scraped in every single corner and hairpin, it was simply impossible not to, if it had been a bigger machine I am not sure it would have made I through some of those roads without having to do three point turns
skully93

Post by skully93 »

doh! Makes it worse that he was waving right beforehand.
Rob

Post by Rob »

This is definitely one of those "how many things is he doing wrong?" scenarios.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

#6 is when it starts to go wrong.

Wonder if the guy in the Corvette was pissed or nervous he just killed someone...
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

Rob wrote:This is definitely one of those "how many things is he doing wrong?" scenarios.

Rob
It's like a frame-by-frame court exhibit. Usually folks aren't so accommodating to have the collision right in front of a high-speed camera.
fshfindr

Post by fshfindr »

I wonder why he got straight right before contact. :(
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Uncle Groucho wrote:#6 is when it starts to go wrong.

Wonder if the guy in the Corvette was pissed or nervous he just killed someone...
If the guy didn't survive it probably wouldn't be much consolation to the poor corvette driver that it wasn't his fault. He obviously stayed way in his own lane.
fshfindr wrote:I wonder why he got straight right before contact. :(
I'm guessing he was trying to brake, and needed to brake so hard he thought he'd high side if he did it in his turn. I'm not sure (in this case), that would have been any worse.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

OMG! And lets be careful out there... R
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

A perfect example of how it can all go bad in a instant.

He's lucky it wasn't a large truck he hit. Going airborne is better then slamming into a wall.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scootavaran wrote:A perfect example of how it can all go bad in a instant.
Especially when you're not looking at the road, riding the Dragon and not setting up your turns!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

michelle_7728 wrote:I'm guessing he was trying to brake, and needed to brake so hard he thought he'd high side if he did it in his turn. I'm not sure (in this case), that would have been any worse.
If he had locked the rear in the turn he would have laid it down on the low side. Sliding along with the hog kicking sparks into your face only to slam into it probably isn't any better than getting maximum traction and braking before impact and potentially much worse.

You don't high side by braking...you high side when you STOP braking! Locked up or losing traction at the the rear wheel will cause it to fishtail and start to lean over. It's when you regain traction that the bike will snap back up tossing you off the high side.

I had this happen when I seized my motor doing 65 during CBR 2012. I knew when I pulled the clutch it was going to try to throw me. I was as ready as I could be for it and stayed up but I still took out a mess of Texas wildflowers off the shoulder.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Thanks for spelling out the difference between high-siding and low-siding.

I always thought that laying the bike down when the rear wheel slips was the same thing, and that high-side meant that the side of the bike was on top.

Glad I learned something today.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

BuddyRaton wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:I'm guessing he was trying to brake, and needed to brake so hard he thought he'd high side if he did it in his turn. I'm not sure (in this case), that would have been any worse.
If he had locked the rear in the turn he would have laid it down on the low side. Sliding along with the hog kicking sparks into your face only to slam into it probably isn't any better than getting maximum traction and braking before impact and potentially much worse.

You don't high side by braking...you high side when you STOP braking! Locked up or losing traction at the the rear wheel will cause it to fishtail and start to lean over. It's when you regain traction that the bike will snap back up tossing you off the high side.

I had this happen when I seized my motor doing 65 during CBR 2012. I knew when I pulled the clutch it was going to try to throw me. I was as ready as I could be for it and stayed up but I still took out a mess of Texas wildflowers off the shoulder.
Thanks for clarifying that. :)