Scooterist dies in an accident

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

Scooterist dies in an accident

Post by Stormswift »

Hate to be the one to post this. http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/10/2 ... n-dundalk/
They did not post any real details while there is an investigation...We have a riders group so I posted on our local Facebook......Sad......
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
skully93

Post by skully93 »

RIP,

That sucks no matter what the details.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

ouch!!! that sucks :cry:
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

As usual the comments on this kind of article don't fail to disgust me... do people not know what empathy is?
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Lokky wrote:As usual the comments on this kind of article don't fail to disgust me... do people not know what empathy is?
I did not even see the comments. People can be very cruel. And it just shows prejudice towards poorer side of town and scooter riders. Bet you if the rider was on a 22G Harley the attitude would have been different.
I am not a scooter snob.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Notice the report says the scooter driver collided with the car who was making a left, not that the car pulled into the scooters lane while making a left hand turn... as it is written they have misplaced blame from the start.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I'll wait to see if there is more into later but so far regardless of the verbiage (and unless scooterist jumped red light) what they are describing is scootrist going straight through intersection and car making left turn:
http://dundalk.patch.com/articles/man-k ... identified
Last edited by Stormswift on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a scooter snob.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Notice the report says the scooter driver collided with the car who was making a left, not that the car pulled into the scooters lane while making a left hand turn... as it is written they have misplaced blame from the start.
Regardless of who the blame is on that's a factual statement. We do not know what the intersection looks like, for all we know the scooter rider was running a red.

Sure its very likely that the car turned in front of the scooter and that the scooter had right of way, since we were not there we can't make a judgement.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I read through a few of the comments. Seems to be it was a new scooter, and maybe a new rider...sad either way...
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Lokky wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Notice the report says the scooter driver collided with the car who was making a left, not that the car pulled into the scooters lane while making a left hand turn... as it is written they have misplaced blame from the start.
Regardless of who the blame is on that's a factual statement. We do not know what the intersection looks like, for all we know the scooter rider was running a red.

Sure its very likely that the car turned in front of the scooter and that the scooter had right of way, since we were not there we can't make a judgement.
It is not a factual statement and definitely it is not neutral reporting. Saying the scooter ran into the car is a loaded statement. The bias is already being skewed in favor of the driver of the car. It boils down to neurolinguistics. Had they simply said there was a collision between a car and a scooter and left it at that, then it would be neutral fact. As it is there is bias in favor of the automobile.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Skootz Kabootz wrote: It is not a factual statement and definitely it is not neutral reporting. Saying the scooter ran into the car is a loaded statement. The bias is already being skewed in favor of the driver of the car. It boils down to neurolinguistics. Had they simply said there was a collision between a car and a scooter and left it at that, then it would be neutral fact. As it is there is bias in favor of the automobile.
Exactly. Unprofessional and careless, even sloppy wording.

Those interested can use Google maps for "Church Rd." or "Trappe Rd." in Dundalk, MD to get a street level view of the slightly jogged intersection - there is indeed a traffic light overhead.
honi soit qui mal y pense
amy

Post by amy »

I'm totally on the same page with Skootz K. 99.9999% of the time a driver making a left turn is at fault in an accidet....unless the scooterist ran a red light.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Lokky wrote:

It is not a factual statement and definitely it is not neutral reporting. Saying the scooter ran into the car is a loaded statement. The bias is already being skewed in favor of the driver of the car. It boils down to neurolinguistics. Had they simply said there was a collision between a car and a scooter and left it at that, then it would be neutral fact. As it is there is bias in favor of the automobile.
Unfortunately, unbiased factual reporting does not seem to be as commonplace as it once was, regardless of the topic. I rarely watch the news any more for this reason. They seem more intent on cleavage and sensationalizm than anything that might pass for journalism. Written news isn't much better, and fraught with typos.

Sorry...enought rant, and kind of off topic.

What a sad topic, and one that could have been written about me a couple of days ago, had my close call not been meerly a close call. Hopefully the scooterist did not suffer. :(