transporting scooter x-country

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scullyfu

transporting scooter x-country

Post by scullyfu »

i'm contemplating moving from seattle to back east. does anyone have any suggestions for moving companies for scooters? any idea on how much it may cost? thanks in advance.

i'm also open to selling my scooter here and just buying a used scooter when i get back there. i don't want to pay more than its worth to transport it. its a 2007 italia with about 10k miles, never has given me any trouble and runs like a charm.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Shipping costs have gone up since I last did any research (due to rising fuel costs). Have you tried requesting a quote on uShip.com? Haulers bid on your shipping job online. I think you'll find that it's well worth hanging on to your scooter.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I know several people who have used Forward Air:
http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lance Corona

Post by Lance Corona »

What about hauling it yourself? If you have a hitch you should be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Scoote ... B003E2WQE4
texepictetus

Post by texepictetus »

Most moving companies will put scooters in the truck. I just moved from the DC area to San Francisco and my moving company put both my scooters in the truck. Worked well.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:I know several people who have used Forward Air:...
Including me, but that's definitely the expensive option. :(
Poursuivant

Uship.com

Post by Poursuivant »

I used them to transport my Vespa GTV from Columbia, MO to Baltimore. I put out a call for bids and the guy who responded with $230 got my business. It arrived in perfect shape, albeit, not in a covered trailer, but it was covered as I stipulated.
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

When we moved we had them put all our stuff in the moving van. The first time we moved it was two motorcycles, the second time it was two atv's, the third time it was two jet skis.

Each time they arrived safely and unharmed.

The scooters we moved ourselves on a trailer.
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

I'm moving from Austin to Portland in March, and was discussing shipping options with our scooter club. Someone suggested I should build or buy a crate to put in the portable storage container we plan to use (like PODS or whatever we find).

We will drive our car (2012 Hyundai Accent), but I don't think it can haul a trailer with our Buddy 170i and Kymko Like. Two adults, two dogs, and then a trailer with two scoots seems like too much weight for the car.

Thoughts on the crate idea, with the intention of strapping it to the corners of the crate?
bbg.will

Post by bbg.will »

We will drive our car (2012 Hyundai Accent), but I don't think it can haul a trailer with our Buddy 170i and Kymko Like. Two adults, two dogs, and then a trailer with two scoots seems like too much weight for the car.
Honestly, if your car is has a manual transmission, I'd say it probably could handle the task. If it is the auto, turn off the eco stuff and you'd probably want to stay out of regular Drive (no overdrive, that could put too much strain on the transmission).

Here's my logic. Both scooters total to under 500lbs , and with a light weight enough trailer, and the scooters situated on the trailer perfectly (60/40 split over trailer axle, most people end up too tongue heavy), it would make it. I once had a 1990 toyota tercel with 1.5L motor that optimistically made 80 horsepower tow the small enclosed trailer that U-haul rents up and over the grapevine pass in southern california. Your hyundai makes over 130hp. That trailer empty probably weighed as much as a light weight (harbor freight type) trailer with a couple rails on top with your scooters loaded. Your hyundai makes over 130hp and should be able to handle it as long as you don't try to go 80mph on long uphill grades with OD on.

The caveat is, if you aren't already equipped to tow, you gotta buy all the crap, outfit your car, procure a trailer, set it up, etc etc. And then figure out what to do with the trailer afterwards. Could sell it and recoup some of the investment.
----
My Scoots-
2007 V-strom 650 & 2007 Kawasaki KLX250s

Wife's Scoots-
2013 Buddy 170i - Pamploma << ----------- FOR SALE
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

A lot of times the towing capacity isn't based on the hp but on the cooling capacity of the towing vehicle. Check the owners manual for towing capacity
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Harbor Freight has a great deal on trailers right now. You can get an extra 20% off. I bought and assembled my boat trailer from them.. so far so good. I think for a xc trip the larger wheels would be better or pull the fenders and put full size tires. I assembled myself, neighbor hood boys were taking bets that I wouldn't finish. That was 3 years ago and it's still rolling just fine. Instructions are lineal and easy to understand. It was shipped to my door, free at that time. :P
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

Thanks for the ideas - I'm thinking the Harbor Freight 950 LB Capacity 8 Ft Utility Trailer Foldable - 4x8 with 8" Wheels would be good enough to haul two scoots 2300 miles. Under $300 for the trailer, and then of course need a hitch for the car. Squish some blankets between the scoots to avoid bumping together. Maybe add side rails and strap the handlebars.

Then again... could just stick them in the moving container...
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

No blankets between the scooter, use ratcheting tie downs. Some folks install 2x4s to act as side a track and screw in some eye bolts to attach the straps to.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

heythere512 wrote:Thanks for the ideas - I'm thinking the Harbor Freight 950 LB Capacity 8 Ft Utility Trailer Foldable - 4x8 with 8" Wheels would be good enough to haul two scoots 2300 miles. Under $300 for the trailer, and then of course need a hitch for the car. Squish some blankets between the scoots to avoid bumping together. Maybe add side rails and strap the handlebars.

Then again... could just stick them in the moving container...
For another $10.00 you can upgrade to the 1195-lb. model with 12" wheels. It's on sale now for $289. 8's would freak me out for a trip that long.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 90154.html
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!