Buddy Dimensions AKA: Girlfriend is getting a Buddy!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BeefSupreme

Buddy Dimensions AKA: Girlfriend is getting a Buddy!

Post by BeefSupreme »

So my girlfriend is finally getting a scooter! A BUDDY! I've already got a Kymco Like 200i I got for a steal now she's doing the same. A leftover 2009 Buddy 125 for 2,200 out the door. -5 miles on it. However, we live in Birmingham and are picking it up from Huntsville, we don't really want to spend anymore on renting a van or truck to move it. We're thinking about trying to fit it in the back of her CRV. Can anyone tell me the "bumper to bumper" length? We've already told them to not put anymore gas in the tank than is required to start it up and zip it around the parking lot. We're going tomorrow morning to get it. So somebody break out your measuring tape and let me know asap. Thanks!
Last edited by BeefSupreme on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinylDoctor

Re: Buddy Dimensions (bumper to bumper)

Post by VinylDoctor »

BeefSupreme wrote:So my girlfriend is finally getting a scooter! A BUDDY! I've already got a Kymco Like 200i I got for a steal now she's doing the same. A leftover 2009 Buddy 125 for 2,200 out the door. -5 miles on it. However, we live in Birmingham and are picking it up from Huntsville, we don't really want to spend anymore on renting a van or truck to move it. We're thinking about trying to fit it in the back of her CRV. Can anyone tell me the "bumper to bumper" length? We've already told them to not put anymore gas in the tank than is required to start it up and zip it around the parking lot. We're going tomorrow morning to get it. So somebody break out your measuring tape and let me know asap. Thanks!
I dont own that model.
but all the specs are on the genuine web site.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

The Genuine website didn't list total length. Found it someplace else though, 62". And her CRV's cargo area is 72". It'sa gonna fit! Can't wait to till she gets on the road! And gets on MB! I'm all sorts of jealous now.
amy

Post by amy »

If her CRV has a tow package, just rent a u-haul motorcycle trailer for about $15/day. Otherwise, I don't know the answer to your question.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

yay for you guys and your bargain hunting!

I don't suppose there is a scoot friendly route home?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The other dimensions to check are the height and width of the handlebars and mirrors. That is often a problem when trying to fit a scooter into a smaller vehicle. The mirrors, of course, can be removed if necessary.

Our 125 is 29" wide and 48" high with mirrors, 26" wide and 44" high without. If the scooter has a rear rack, that extends the lenth to nearly 70".
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I believe the back door clearance was not optimal at least in 1996 CRV's. I don't know about the inside clearance but door frame was an issue. I remember my RAV 4 had better door clearance than my mom's CRV. Even with my RAV we had to tilt the bike a little and used portable loading ramp.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I like the Uhaul trailer idea.... that might create an opportunity for me!!!! Thnx for the info!! Tigers are behind.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I was advised by an officer in my club that I could buy a trailer for about $300 that could easily hold 2 scooters (snugly), if outfitted correctly with the following:
wheel chocks
plywood floor
tow straps
little antenna on the corners so that you can see the trailer from your back window
something to use for a ramp

In the long run, it would probably be cheaper for you than renting from Uhaul... if you like, I can ask him the name of the company/brand he bought from (I plan on buying one as well, just haven't done it yet)
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Harbor 'Fright' has affordable trailors. Catch em on a good day and a trailer can be bought for as little as $200. The wheel chocks are pricey. Someone out there must have an inexpensive idea.

BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Ok. So it fit! I thought we'd have 12" to spare but we had absolutely none! The handlebars had to be turned left then right and the headlight stuck out the rear window about 1/2", so we had to leave it unhooked with a blanked between them. Anywho we got it back to the Ham and she's loving her so far. Her name is Lady Bird. And she's freaking adorable! I'm adding pics like a noob. Gotta start a flickr account or something. But here she is! Don't mind the uber cheesy holding hands pic. I promise we were intentionally looking stupid.
Attachments
NewScoot.jpg
NewScoot.jpg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
ScootInCar.jpg
ScootInCar.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Amanda.jpg
Amanda.jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

So here's the deal. The dealership in Decatur http://www.allsportinc.com/ has had her Buddy since 2009 just sitting on the showroom floor. They kept reducing the price down to 2,400. Then they put it on ebay starting at 1,900. I told her to just call them and offer them what they were asking for on ebay plus the 200 dealer prep. They asked her to just bid on it, and she replied by saying she could be there the next morning with cash and they totally went for it as long as paid an extra 100. Anywho they've got a few 170i's they're getting ready to reduce to (I think) 2,700 and put them on ebay. Anybody else wanna make them an offer while they're giving them away? They're trying to clear the floor for new models.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I don't think y r a "noob"..... 2 great looking scoots, congrats on finding a woman who shares ur passion!

DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

avonpirate wrote:Harbor 'Fright' has affordable trailors. Catch em on a good day and a trailer can be bought for as little as $200. The wheel chocks are pricey. Someone out there must have an inexpensive idea.
There is one on sale at Harbor Freight for November that will fit a scooter. There is a smaller trailer for $180, but it's too small for a scooter. The scooter-sized trailer is $290 ($80 off): item #90154, 1195 Lb. Capacity Heavy Duty Folding Utility Trailer, 48" X 96"

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca ... 90154.html
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death