Buying used questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Omnipotentcow

Buying used questions

Post by Omnipotentcow »

Hello everyone!

If all goes well, I will hopefully be buying a used buddy for my girlfriend.

I just need a little bit of help. I am not quite sure how to go about legitimately buying a used vehicle from a private party (I'm from Illinois).

If anyone has any experience buying a used scoot, can you please offer some insight? I know the scoot maintenance history and the fact that it has a clean title and registration. However, I am in the dark about how the sale would actually work (paying in cash). Since I have to buy it on the weekend due to work, will I have to take a day off during the week to go to the DMV with the seller? If someone could detail the process and hopefully answer the questions I am not well informed enough to ask, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all so much in advance!
phatch

Post by phatch »

When I bought mine used, I went with the guy to his bank. They notarized the back of the title that it was being transferred; then I paid him and brought the title to the DMV and got it in my name.

If you're planning on driving it home, in AZ we have a printable temporary plate that you can buy for a couple of bucks on the DMV website and slap on the back.
Robbie

Re: Buying used questions

Post by Robbie »

Omnipotentcow wrote:Hello everyone!

If all goes well, I will hopefully be buying a used buddy for my girlfriend.

I just need a little bit of help. I am not quite sure how to go about legitimately buying a used vehicle from a private party (I'm from Illinois).

If anyone has any experience buying a used scoot, can you please offer some insight? I know the scoot maintenance history and the fact that it has a clean title and registration. However, I am in the dark about how the sale would actually work (paying in cash). Since I have to buy it on the weekend due to work, will I have to take a day off during the week to go to the DMV with the seller? If someone could detail the process and hopefully answer the questions I am not well informed enough to ask, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all so much in advance!
It is rather straightforward here in Illinois.

First, verify the VIN# on the machine (chassis#, not engine#) matches the VIN# on the title.
If there is a variation, the title must be corrected prior to the sale.

Also, make certain the word "Rebuilt" is not on the title......in Illinois, this means the machine was a total loss at some time in the past and has been reconstructed.
This is a deal breaker from the standpoint of if you ever sell it or trade it the value will be about 50% of normal book value if you can even find someone to buy it.

If all is well, the seller will need to sign the back of the title.....the top is for a sale, the remaining boxes below are for re-assignment.....DO NOT PUT ANY MARKS, SIGNATURES, NOTHING in the re-assignment areas.

Signature only in the top box....do not date it, do not write the mileage, just a printed signature and a signed signature.
If you are not sure of this step, go with the seller to any currency exchange and they will instruct......at that time you can begin the transfer and plate process and the currency exchange will handle every step.

Bring a check, you will pay all transfer charges at that time.

Good luck and congrats.....darn shame it won't be very warm today....you will have a chilly ride home.

Rob
amy

Post by amy »

Oops - from the title of the post i thought you were looking to buy some used questions!
:rofl:
Omnipotentcow

Post by Omnipotentcow »

Haha! Thanks for the advice everyone!

I am likely at the end of my quest to buy a scooter! I have one last question (hopefully):

If a scooter is bought used, do you have to title and register it right away or can you wait until March time so that I don't have 4 wasted months of non-ride time in Illinois?
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Omnipotentcow wrote:Haha! Thanks for the advice everyone!

I am likely at the end of my quest to buy a scooter! I have one last question (hopefully):

If a scooter is bought used, do you have to title and register it right away or can you wait until March time so that I don't have 4 wasted months of non-ride time in Illinois?

The law states the title/transfer must take place immediately after sale......

Thats why I said not to date the back of the title.

Technically, that is called a 'Open Title' but if there is no date......wink wink, the sale hasn't taken place yet now has it.

This only applies to a private sale.....a dealer must report every sale, be it new or used, and collect the fees immediately.

Advice: Don't date it and transfer in the spring unless it is a dealer sale.

Rob