Just curious

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Poursuivant

Just curious

Post by Poursuivant »

Is this site connected to Modern Vespa?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

not really. don't know the entire story but i believe our Admin here at MB is a member and moderator there

the Admin bought / rode a Buddy several years ago and decided to open an MB site to mirror the MV one, as the Buddy had caused some ripples among the Vespa crowd when it first came out. obviously the scoot needed and deserved its own board, and our visionary leader brought us one!

he is is like the steve jobs of BuddyLand. only still breathing :)

pretty sure that is the story but who knows!
Riding is riding
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Im surprised the dictator that runs modern vespa allowed who ever started this site to use the same style logo.

That guy is a bell end :lol:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

self-proclaimed "petty tyrant" lol
Riding is riding
Poursuivant

Ahh. Good to know.

Post by Poursuivant »

Yeah, that guy is rather thin skinned and fits his moniker well.
Syd

Post by Syd »

My understanding is that MV was getting so many threads started about the Buddy that MB was spun off, using the same backend that MV uses, thus the similarity. When management of two forums became too much for Jess' liking, Eric stepped up and took over the board.

MV is a hobby for Jess, requires a great deal of time to moderate and patch/upgrade, and has done the Vespa/scooter enthusiast community a great service. So even if he can be a tool at times, the trains always run on schedule. You know? :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Syd wrote: So even if he can be a tool at times, the trains always run on schedule. You know? :lol:
Yeah, may sometimes be true, but I gotta admit: if so, then he's a multi-tool, like a Leatherman; a person with a broad skill/talent set.
honi soit qui mal y pense
Syd

Post by Syd »

redhandmoto wrote:
Syd wrote: So even if he can be a tool at times, the trains always run on schedule. You know? :lol:
Yeah, may sometimes be true, but I gotta admit: if so, then he's a multi-tool, like a Leatherman; a person with a broad skill/talent set.
Ha! Quite true.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

:rofl:
Riding is riding
Poursuivant

Post by Poursuivant »

Oh, I don't question the value of MV as a resource. I think it's an amazing site, much like MB, and I sincerely thank anyone involved in running either sites. However, I'm leery of an admin/moderator who calls himself petty and a tyrant.
I just wanted to know if there was a connection between the two sites.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Both great sites and my favorite two, though SovietSteeds is now a close third.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Poursuivant wrote: However, I'm leery of an admin/moderator who calls himself petty and a tyrant.
You know, Jess has been successful in whatever he's turned his hand to, and those things are many and varied. As with many successful people, that required a very clear vision of goals, an extraordinary determination to realize them, and a uncompromising commitment.

Those qualities are sometimes seen by others as being rigid and unyielding, but are in fact the basis of any success. MV is a terrific & well-run forum, largely 'open' in spirit and tenor, and mostly free from the juvenile and anarchic shittiness that obtains at many, many forums, and that is because minimal standards are enforced.

When it comes to Internet forums and discussion sites, out there and accessible as they are, sometimes people wrongly see that as meaning that they are public & unregulated, not subject to constraints of behavior, and that posters have some sort of God-given right to behave as they wish, giving free rein to whatever pops into their heads. The number of times people have cited "freedom of speech" in defense of loathsome Internet behavior is laughable.

MV is in fact a privately-held venue, made by and for the use of enthusiasts. In order to ensure its health and continued existence, it is moderated a little more strictly than most. (Persons objecting to this as unwarranted "policing" should consider the root of the terms "moderate", "moderator" and "moderation").

Thus MV continues to be what it is and to do what it does - a place for reasonable and rewarding discussion of Vespas and scooting in general. Jess' self-description as "petty tyrant" is both tongue-in-cheek and not: his policies have kept it healthy, viable, and growing, untainted by rancor and squabbling, and free of turd-slinging.
Poursuivant

Post by Poursuivant »

I don't deny the value of MV as a resource. On the contrary, I think it's a terrific site.
No one needs to defend anyone here.
amy

Post by amy »

AND . . . lots of people read all the posts on both sites.

:) Public posts, you know?
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

amy wrote:AND . . . lots of people read all the posts on both sites.

Amy, in my usual obtuse way, I'm missing something and don't understand what you are saying here.

Poursuivant - Apologies, my Man; I did sort of launch into a defense there where none was called for, didn't I?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

the admin here sets a good tone imo
Riding is riding
amy

Post by amy »

redhandmoto wrote:
amy wrote:AND . . . lots of people read all the posts on both sites.

Amy, in my usual obtuse way, I'm missing something and don't understand what you are saying here.

Poursuivant - Apologies, my Man; I did sort of launch into a defense there where none was called for, didn't I?
Red- I quite liked your post. :D

My post was perhaps a bit too vague. I don't use MV.com, but it struck me that perhaps the MV admin might read MB.com and feel insulted for being called a tool, thin skinned, etc. I know our admin works hard and I'd hate to see him called out on forum rules on another site.

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins."
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

JHScoot wrote:the admin here sets a good tone imo
:!:
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

amy wrote:I know our admin works hard and I'd hate to see him called out on forum rules on another site.

+1 :)
Poursuivant

Post by Poursuivant »

@Amy
Actually, the MV admin isn't exactly shy about his modus operandus as a moderator. His moniker is pretty indicative of that.
However, that's all beside the point. Nobody's perfect, even moderators.
I asked the OP because I really like how MB is administered and moderated, and I was wondering if there was a connection between the two sites.
amy

Post by amy »

Ohhhhh...gotchyaaa

:D
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

amy wrote:
Amy, you're right. And it is often said that I am as sensitive as a toilet seat.

I was on MV a bit when I owned a Vespa, and still look in from time-to-time. Jess is one of those people who makes things happen, and while his policies are determined, they are not draconian.

As to MB, its genesis from the loins of MV, and how it is also one of the few, mmm, civil sites around, i'm gonna say that Eric comes across as an extraordinarily patient and nice guy, that people respond to that, and mostly rise to it accordingly. My first scoot was a Buddy and I've been here off and on since that time - though it must have happened, I cannot remember anyone kicking up sufficient fuss as to be banned. The relaxed tone here itself, the absence of stridency and rancor seems to self-fulfilling.

Eric is another guy who's passion for all things scoot have him doing things, writing, reviewing, and generally being present in the scooting world, helping it, small as it is is in our culture, remain viable, to grow, even.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm as dictatorial as jess is, the difference being the countries over which we reign. There's just far less need for us to get heavy-handed with ModernBuddy. When we do, it's a big deal because it's so rare.

MV is a much larger community than MB, so much harder to moderate and manage. It takes a large crew of moderators to keep things in line there—most don't see the results of this. (I'm a moderator there, but not as active as I'd like.) The moderation on MV is not arbitrary, and we give a lot of consideration to how the rules are implemented.

The tone of MB evolved directly from ModernVespa and the rules jess created there. It's just been much easier for us to build on that and maintain it thanks to our membership (you guys!) and smaller numbers. We also don't have to contend with as many little factions, the politics, cliques and other interpersonal dynamics over there — at least not to the same degree.

For whatever reasons, members here are just better behaved and seem to appreciate a mostly flame/hater-free forum that's welcoming of newcomers. I know MANY people who've told me that they were just scared off or away from MV.

Unfortunately, many people only see that one side of jess and sort of ignore when he's just posting as a "regular guy" who's just into scooters like the rest of us.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

And thanks to all for the props. :)

Any credit for MB being such a great site is shared by our membership and our moderators. Some people get it. This isn't just some online reference source. It's a community. I'm often in awe of this group and proud that so many think that we're a cut above much of the noise and vitriol so common online.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Before the Jess slamming continues I think there is an important point that many may not know.

Jess started Modern Buddy.

So thanks Jess for starting the stone rolling and thanks Eric for letting it gather no moss!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote: Jess started Modern Buddy.
Jess needs the truck. :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The first post on Modern Buddy!
viewtopic.php?p=2&highlight=#2

June 9, 2006

Who Is going to be the first user to register?
jess wrote:(yes, that was a taunt)
So why doesn't everyone roll on over to MV and give the bell end, thin skinned, petty tyrant dictator a big thanks!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:Jess started Modern Buddy.
Yup, I thought that had already been covered. :)

It's impossible to get involved in the scooter scene/community in this way and emerge unfazed. There's something very surreal about meeting someone for the first time and being tad, "Oh, people were hating on you on the forums today." Even our most innocent, well-intended acts and subject to derision and can make us the targets of criticism and the sort of vile behavior we're happy not to have on MB.

That's not an appeal to sympathy for the poor site admins. But all that chatter means we have to grow thicker skins, sometimes care a little less about some things, and that we wind up with reputations that are often exaggerated if not entirely unfounded.

It's been much worse for jess than for me. His job is not an easy one.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

BuddyRaton wrote:Before the Jess slamming continues ...
You know, I didn't see that there was any real Jess-slamming in this thread.

Seem to recall that Jess himself adopted the handle "petty tyrant" when some particularly miffed poster called him that after being called out on a singularly pungent violation of posting guidelines. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong...

Thereafter it seems to have become a sort of tongue-in-cheek point of pride.

How harsh is the policy in fact? Hardly at all - have still seen in relatively recent times some 'troubled' personalities reeealllly pushing it in a sort of perverse search for a reaction. The world is full of frustrated whack-os in search of a spotlight.

Then there was the time that Eric was called "the Genuine poster boy"...I recall thinking, "Is that supposed to be an insult?"
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

redhandmoto wrote:Then there was the time that Eric was called "the Genuine poster boy"...
Isn't that just stating the obvious? :P Hardly any kind of an insult. Eric, clearly you are not giving disgruntled MV folk enough material to work with :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

Nice avatar, Skootz!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

redhandmoto wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Before the Jess slamming continues ...
You know, I didn't see that there was any real Jess-slamming in this thread.
Aww there were a few...let's say unkind things said. And yes, Jess wears Petty Tyrant with pride!

I don't run a forum but I do get tired of people pissing and moaning about how a site is run when the owners and moderators put a lot of work into it...for free.

Kinda like inviting people over and having them bitch about the brand of beer you are giving away
www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

az_slynch wrote:
OK...now that was funny!
www.teamscootertrash.com

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:
az_slynch wrote:
OK...now that was funny!
After reading through the whole CBR2012 thread (I know GodzillaBobber and was trying to see how he was doing), that was the primary thing that has truly stuck with me (other than the saga of BillDog's poxxed hand!). What really iced it was when the truck needed a truck. :lol:
Last edited by az_slynch on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Syd wrote:Nice avatar, Skootz!
Thx! I'm hoping soon I have to make another one that includes a Bonneville. :)

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Wait another couple of years and the one million unshaven LA trend jumpers who bought them this year will all be selling them when they get into something else. :P

I pass at least three or four on my way to or from work every day!

This weekend, Lindsey said she wanted one too (as did a whole bunch of people riding with us). I said, "There are other Triumphs!" She said, "Really?" I went on about the Tiger 650 and she got bored. But later at the Rock Store I pointed out several non-Bonnies to her: a Thunderbird, a Thruxton, a Speed Triple.

Of course, they were all outclassed by a white '70s BMW R75/5 with toaster tank. :twisted:
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

ericalm wrote: "... one million unshaven LA trend jumpers ..."
Heh...I'm gonna pay ya royalties to use that'un...
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Wait another couple of years and the one million unshaven LA trend jumpers who bought them this year will all be selling them when they get into something else. :P

I pass at least three or four on my way to or from work every day!

This weekend, Lindsey said she wanted one too (as did a whole bunch of people riding with us). I said, "There are other Triumphs!" She said, "Really?" I went on about the Tiger 650 and she got bored. But later at the Rock Store I pointed out several non-Bonnies to her: a Thunderbird, a Thruxton, a Speed Triple.

Of course, they were all outclassed by a white '70s BMW R75/5 with toaster tank. :twisted:
The BMW R75/5 is a sweet bike! I'd love one when I live somewhere with a garage and can work on vintage.

Really I have no idea about all that trendy stuff (as anyone who has met me will attest to) but I can't fault people for liking an awesome bike. What does piss me off the absurd prices some of these people think they can sell their Bonnie's for! Seriously ridiculous. I know I'll never pay those prices. Hard to afford a plaid shirt after paying that... :P

Lindsay — I think she just wants a Bonnie because her pal Jennifer wants one. Which is funny because I would have taken Lindsay to be a Sportster girl. :)

As for me, all I know is I've wanted a Bonnie ever since I was a little kid and I am damn well going to own one while I am still young enough to ride it for a few years. Life is short and a man's got to have priorities! That is the only trend I try to follow. (Well, except for that one haircut I got in the 80's. But that's another story).

phatch

Post by phatch »

I had to look at it twice before I noticed the 300. Derp.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:As for me, all I know is I've wanted a Bonnie ever since I was a little kid and I am damn well going to own one while I am still young enough to ride it for a few years. Life is short and a man's got to have priorities! That is the only trend I try to follow. (Well, except for that one haircut I got in the 80's. But that's another story).
Hey, you were ahead of the curve on this one! Trendsetter. It's always been the case that true cool comes from people who are neither aware of it nor really give a crap about it. :)
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

ericalm wrote:...Any credit for MB being such a great site is shared by our membership and our moderators. Some people get it. This isn't just some online reference source. It's a community...
Since I'm an example of this comment, I'll admit it's not a devout gear-head forum. That's okay though. I like doing write ups. :wink: Plus it means I can hopefully be of help to other people every now and again. I've actually met a couple of MB members in real life since joining. It's a pretty cool site for that since there's a lot of people from my town on here.
C'mon, sko sko sko!