Terrible scooter incident in RIC - UPDATE

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Terrible scooter incident in RIC - UPDATE

Post by jrsjr »

I hope this isn't anybody we know. This is my worst nightmare come true, to survive a fall and be run over by a car.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012 ... S-Breaking

UPDATE: I've posted below the follow-up article identifying the victim as 25 year-old Joshua McDaniel of Mechanicsville.
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Holy shit, that's close to home.

I wish they'd put more information in articles like these, I have no way of knowing if this is someone I know, had it been a car they'd at least put the make and model of it in the article.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Wow.

The two comments on the article are relevant:

Jim Allen · Top Commenter:
"The Police received calls"! And nobody stopped to check on him and as a result he was runover by a car. I hope those that made the calls are feeling badly that they didn't stop to render help. Please people, don't feel good about yourself that you made a phone call. Stop and help!

Gerald Hunter:
Jim, I agree with you. Leaving someone in the roadway without attempting to block or reroute traffic until help arrives is not right.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lokky wrote:Holy shit, that's close to home.

I wish they'd put more information in articles like these, I have no way of knowing if this is someone I know, had it been a car they'd at least put the make and model of it in the article.
They hadn't yet identified the victim.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lokky wrote:Holy shit, that's close to home.

Not necessarily- trying to obtain information about an unidentified victim while also not releasing personal information to the public is tricky. In short: if you know anybody who lives around Laburnum or regularly uses it to commute on a scooter, you should call and tell them who they are, what they look like, and what their scooter looks like, so that they can try and ID the person.

It would help, however, if they would say maybe color of scoot, and approximate age of person, race or gender... and ffs, WHERE on Laburnum... it kind of goes all the way across town :headache:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

LunaP wrote:[... and ffs, WHERE on Laburnum... it kind of goes all the way across town :headache:
Could be worse. Baseline Road up in the Phoenix metro area is ridiculously long. There's at least a 45 mile continuous stretch up there. Better know what 'burb you're in if you need to call a tow truck. :roll:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Edwub wrote:Wow.

The two comments on the article are relevant:

Jim Allen · Top Commenter:
"The Police received calls"! And nobody stopped to check on him and as a result he was runover by a car. I hope those that made the calls are feeling badly that they didn't stop to render help. Please people, don't feel good about yourself that you made a phone call. Stop and help!

Gerald Hunter:
Jim, I agree with you. Leaving someone in the roadway without attempting to block or reroute traffic until help arrives is not right.
Crowd mentality - "well, everyone is driving on past, so I should ignore him too."
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

always sad to hear. i used to live there like twenty yrs ago but still have to ride that way from time to time.i think its a 35mph zone.article doesnt go into much detail but sunday at 6:30 was dark and rainy.always be safe and take extra care in dark rainy conditions.remember whoever is at fault we willpay the higher price in an accident.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

wrong thread
Last edited by dsmith65 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MB #2349
Syd

Post by Syd »

dsmith65 wrote:Right now minecraft is extremely popular with kids this age and older. I spent the weekend on a camping trip with 8 boys between 10 and 14 and it was the main topic of conversation. I totally understand how boys can become obsessed with it. My son hasn't figured out ways around the parental controls and doesn't try, but he'll play mine craft until he is out of time, then start making minecraft scenes with legos. Then he'll start talking non stop about it, until we tell him to change the topic. I know that it seems like a harmless obsession, but as they get older there will be other things to obsess about. As a parent we have to teach what is ok and what isn't and how to exercise moderation, and when to have a complete wall up. Stormswift knows her son, and I think given his technical skills she's taking the appropriate approach with him.
Uh, wrong thread, I think.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

wow, talk about that run down feeling.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

VinylDoctor wrote:wow, talk about that run down feeling.
Seriously? Consider that this may be someone some of our many active RVA members know. Even if not, have a smidgeon of respect for another rider. This could have been any one of us, you included.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

You didn't really post this, did you? About a human being killed in the street.
honi soit qui mal y pense
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

If my accident had been worse, this could have been me. The guy who caused mine drove away, too. If a homeless man hadn't come out in the street and stopped traffic, it would have been me.

I hope his family can sue.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Please update if you find out anything else, Richmond folks. I know exactly where this is too, right by the Bojangles chicken and Hwy 33. I passed right by there about a month ago on my way home from Scoot RVA after picking up a donut from Country Style. I didn't notice anything unusual in the pavement, the road felt fine. I really hope it wasn't road rage or a shooting incident. Please be safe everyone!

I know some people think its very weird of us, but Julie and I have the "find friends" app on our phones. It may seem stalker-ish to some, but we're married and I have nothing to hide from her. That way if I'm out riding all day as I often do, she can keep an eye on me, since I'm often by myself and far out of the city. It runs on GPS, so I've never had issues with dark zones. If I'm not on course or haven't moved in a long time, she can check in and/or be worried.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

In the interest of public safety, I am posting this follow-up article to the original.. Please note the telephone number for the Henrico Police in case you have any information to report. Thanks.

Man found dead in eastern Henrico intersection is identified

Richmond Times Dispatch

October 31, 2012

Police today said the man found dead in an eastern Henrico County intersection Sunday night was Joshua J. McDaniel, 25, of the 8400 block of Summerwalk Parkway in Mechanicsville.

Henrico police said McDaniel was found dead at shortly before 6:30 p.m. when officers responded to the Seven Gables Apartments on North Laburnum Avenue for a report of a crash involving a scooter.

Callers told police a scooter and a male were in the northbound lane of Laburnum, and that the male was then struck by a Chrysler 300 driven by a woman.

Henrico's crash team is continuing to investigate the matter.

Anyone with information can call Henrico police at (804) 501-5000.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:Please update if you find out anything else, Richmond folks. I know exactly where this is too, right by the Bojangles chicken and Hwy 33. I passed right by there about a month ago on my way home from Scoot RVA after picking up a donut from Country Style. I didn't notice anything unusual in the pavement, the road felt fine. I really hope it wasn't road rage or a shooting incident. Please be safe everyone!

I know some people think its very weird of us, but Julie and I have the "find friends" app on our phones. It may seem stalker-ish to some, but we're married and I have nothing to hide from her. That way if I'm out riding all day as I often do, she can keep an eye on me, since I'm often by myself and far out of the city. It runs on GPS, so I've never had issues with dark zones. If I'm not on course or haven't moved in a long time, she can check in and/or be worried.
Actually, that's a great idea for scooter people. I may do that once Lokky and I have not-crappy droids... that way I can tell where he is if he doesn't answer, and see if he's riding or not. And stuff. Google maps sorta does it, but not really. Not enough to be useful, anyway.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

LunaP wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:Please update if you find out anything else, Richmond folks. I know exactly where this is too, right by the Bojangles chicken and Hwy 33. I passed right by there about a month ago on my way home from Scoot RVA after picking up a donut from Country Style. I didn't notice anything unusual in the pavement, the road felt fine. I really hope it wasn't road rage or a shooting incident. Please be safe everyone!

Actually, that's a great idea for scooter people. I may do that once Lokky and I have not-crappy droids... that way I can tell where he is if he doesn't answer, and see if he's riding or not. And stuff. Google maps sorta does it, but not really. Not enough to be useful, anyway.
This is just the ticket: http://www.google.com/mobile/latitude/

I know a lot of scooterists who use it. (I don't… yet.)
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:
LunaP wrote:

That's what I meant when I said Google Maps... oops. I tried using it when Lokky was on trips a few times and I was in the hospital, and it wasn't really... idk. It was like it was lagging behind him.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

LunaP wrote:
ericalm wrote:
LunaP wrote: Actually, that's a great idea for scooter people. I may do that once Lokky and I have not-crappy droids... that way I can tell where he is if he doesn't answer, and see if he's riding or not. And stuff. Google maps sorta does it, but not really. Not enough to be useful, anyway.

That's what I meant when I said Google Maps... oops. I tried using it when Lokky was on trips a few times and I was in the hospital, and it wasn't really... idk. It was like it was lagging behind him.
Well I rarely had an internet signal during that trip so it probably only updated while I was going through cities... I had forgotten I had activated latitude on my phone!
Tam Tam

Post by Tam Tam »

man, I really think either you're just a troll, or you are most definitely in the wrong forum. A human being, someone's child, has been killed, and all it registers to you is as a chance to show off your 'wit'....or a chance to get satisfaction from getting people all riled up...would your parents be proud of this kind of behaviour on your part?

Eric, I'm sorry to be negative, but I should wonder if this is the kind of mindset that should be included in this forum. Whether he's just a troll or is almost unbelievably insensitive, I can't see how he could contribute anything of value to this forum
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
amy

Post by amy »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote: I know some people think its very weird of us, but Julie and I have the "find friends" app on our phones. It may seem stalker-ish to some, but we're married and I have nothing to hide from her. That way if I'm out riding all day as I often do, she can keep an eye on me, since I'm often by myself and far out of the city. It runs on GPS, so I've never had issues with dark zones. If I'm not on course or haven't moved in a long time, she can check in and/or be worried.
Another GREAT real-time tracker is called Glympse. I have the iPhone version and it's fantastic. It allows you to:
- set time limits from in 15 min imcrements up 4 hours AND you can extend it if you think you're going to go over the 4 hours.
- show your location to certain people or groups of people (like all your scooter friends which is great for meetups)
- show your speed
- post to facebook or twitter, and other little nifty features.

Your viewers can watch you in a web browser on their phone, computer or in the app if they have it.

I use it all the time on distance trips.

http://www.glympse.com/

Oh, and they also made an Android verision.