How are the scooter riders making out in NYC after Sandy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Poursuivant

How are the scooter riders making out in NYC after Sandy?

Post by Poursuivant »

I hope everyone made it through the storm ok. Luckily for me, my Vespa was in the shop for some work, so I told the guys to just hang onto it for a few day longer in their garage. That way, I avoided having to worry about it parked in my backyard when the storm came through.
Reading of the flooded subway and two hours wait for gas, if any can be found, makes me wonder how the scooter riders are faring in NYC.
Collette

Post by Collette »

Queens is a disaster being there are trees everywhere.
Brooklyn riders probably have the best chance.
The power being out in Manhattan was straight like I AM LEGEND -
I dont advise any motorists to be there anytime after the sun starts to set.
If you want to know where a road leads, ask someone on their way back.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Just wondering is transportation still completely out in the city? I have a student who is getting out of her chemistry exam by claiming that she's stuck in NYC and that nothing but the planes is running and she can't afford a plane ticket back.
amy

Post by amy »

Lokky wrote:Just wondering is transportation still completely out in the city? I have a student who is getting out of her chemistry exam by claiming that she's stuck in NYC and that nothing but the planes is running and she can't afford a plane ticket back.
Your student is in probably hell. I would give her the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

This has been crippling to an area where rail, roads, flight paths - everything - are interconnected, complicated and used by millions of people, multiple agencies, companies and services. Even during normal circumstances, one train break down or car wreck can bring transportation/traffic to a grinding halt. And in the case of trains - can effect many of the other rail services as well.

Maybe you haven't seen the best news reports because the national news doesn't cover things in-depth due to time constraints, so I suggest these links:

1. Local NBC affiliate streaming video *it goes black during commericals and transitions between programming:

2. Rail service update from NBC News NY:

The MTA resumed limited subway service Thursday as crews continue working to pump water out of flooded stations and tunnels throughout the city . . .

Buses will supplement subway service between downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan. There will be no subway service between 34th Street in Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn due to power outages. Limited Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road service resumed Wednesday afternoon.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Lokky wrote:Just wondering is transportation still completely out in the city? I have a student who is getting out of her chemistry exam by claiming that she's stuck in NYC and that nothing but the planes is running and she can't afford a plane ticket back.
The problem is GETTING to any of the airports. It's still INSANE. Busses are running but limited and they're PACKED due to limited subway service. Getting over East River bridges is crazy; must have 3 people per auto or be on a scoot/bike.

Getting a cab is difficult because:
1) gas shortages (less cabs)
2) power out (can't get money from ATMs)
3) too many people wanting scarce resource

There's still NO ELECTRICITY to hundreds of thousands on the east side/lower east side/battery park. That means, people trapped in their buildings because they can't walk down (and back up) all the stairs. That means, limited food. These are New Yorkers. Nobody stock piles stuff 'cos there's no room.

I STILL haven't heard from ex who lives in the East Village. I've been told there's gas and water so one can heat water and cook, but the sewage is becoming a nightmare.

My MIL, on the south shore of LI, just got power back last night. She didn't leave her property because there was looting (a lot of her neighbors got off the Island, who knows where they went).

Thankfully, my mom, in South Jersey, was spared any downed trees on her property. I'm so far away, I can't help up here in Rhode Island. She's got ice, candles and wine, she said, so I'm not worrying.

This is really freaking a lot of us out because we can't get down to help our families.

As it is, my campus was closed for two days and I'm in Providence! All we got was some flooding and power outages. Our shoreline is a wreck and we took hardly any of the storm.

South Jersey beaches are, simply, gone. I really can't believe it.

One of the people I work with said, "Why didn't people leave Manhattan?" I looked at her like she was crazy. Where the hell did you expect these people to go? New Yorkers have been through hell already; I don't think they expected it to happen again so soon.

Ok, rant off. I'm just sorta still freaking out.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Yeah, anyone out there post some pictures and updates so we know you're OK!
amy

Post by amy »

siobhan wrote: I STILL haven't heard from ex who lives in the East Village. I've been told there's gas and water so one can heat water and cook, but the sewage is becoming a nightmare.
My brother is in the east village (7th and 2nd) and his last tweet was "I miss showers" about 20 hours ago. I'm pretty sure he has gas because he said heat isn't an issue, but I don't think he has water. If I hear his plumbing is up and running, I'll post.
siobhan wrote:One of the people I work with said, "Why didn't people leave Manhattan?" I looked at her like she was crazy. Where the hell did you expect these people to go? New Yorkers have been through hell already; I don't think they expected it to happen again so soon.
I lived in NY for three years - I don't know where I would have gone. Then there is the issue of getting back IN if you DID leave. People just don't grasp the logisitics/concept of living in a major metroplex like the tri-state area or the SF Bay area where you depend on public transit.
Poursuivant

Post by Poursuivant »

I was also wondering about where that many people could evacuate to safely. There's an article in the New York Times about how bicycles use has taken off after the storm, but nothing about scooters. Since bicycles, motorcycles and scooters are exempt from the three occupant rule for crossing into Manhattan, I'd think scooter use would take off also. I never lived in NYC, but I used to have to work (I'm a photographer) there sometimes, and I alway thought the two wheeled option made more sense than cabs. The subway is great but not always convenient.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

siobhan wrote:Nobody stock piles stuff 'cos there's no room.
Probably NOT the "47% dependency crowd", but you might be surprised! Doesn't take much space to store a few extra cans of Spam.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

OK thank you for putting it together for me, I have been so busy grading/studying/presenting that I have had no real concept on the scale of this thing beside the high winds we got in Virginia.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

tortoise wrote:
Probably NOT the "47% dependency crowd", but you might be surprised! Doesn't take much space to store a few extra cans of Spam.
No politics on the forum, please. I know it's hard these days, but that's all the more reason we keep away from it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

tortoise wrote:
Seriously?

I'm being good ericalm, for you, 'cos you're a good guy.
All I ever stockpiled was alcohol, and that was 'cos the cheap place was quite a hike so I'd bring the "granny cart" to haul it back home.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

You can't evacuate a large metro area as we know well in Houston. The one time folks really tried to evacuate (Rita, first major hurricane after Katrina) it was snarled up mess. On the other hand, space or no people do stock up on basics. Minimum 3 days and preferably 5-7 of drinkable water and non-perishable foods. Many have tiny camp stoves or those fuel cells you use to keep food warm on a buffet. Some cans of soup, small burner, packets of oatmeal, instant coffee/chocolate/tea bags, even a couple of small cans of ham or other meat/fish don't take up much room. A paper grocery bag is all it takes to store 3 days worth of stuff if you chose properly. Jugs of water, cans/boxes of no refrigeration required juice take up more space but since we have camping stuff that includes collapsible 5 gallon water jugs. Bathtubs will work for spare water too as long as you clean it really good first and have some purification tablets or small bottle of Clorox to use after the first day or two. It really doesn't take up much room but does require some planning. Kids in 3-4 per room dorms can do it as they have at some of the universities here.

Space isn't a particular issue with us so we freeze gallon milk jugs of water and load up a 7 day cooler. That gives us a place for perishables if power stays out. We also have a big back-up battery that will charge cellphones and other devices a dozen times or more but it is a bit bulky at approximately 1' by 2' by 10". I've got smaller battery packs I use when touring on the scoot that will recharge a phone -2 to 4 times. LED lanterns can go for days on a pack of regular batteries.

What we concentrate on here is getting people out of low lying areas that are flood prone or within the anticipated tidal surge area AND folks with medical conditions or more likely to have distress like old folks living alone. Folks on barrier islands really shouldn't stay as they have learned in Galveston.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Poursuivant wrote:Since bicycles, motorcycles and scooters are exempt from the three occupant rule for crossing into Manhattan, I'd think scooter use would take off also.
while true about scooters, this came on suddenly and people haven't been going out and buying scooters this past week based on the ongoing disaster. That said, many New Yorkers will probably consider in that option and forgoing their reliance on taxis and mass transit. As for bicycles, most people have at least 1 old rusty bicycle in their shed or storage unit. Many of these bicycles that started appearing this week have been in remission for very long periods of time and just needed the tires topped off. We are still brought up in a culture that looks at bicycles as mere toys and not a primary source of transport.

Another design flaw with Manhattan is the isolation of foot and bicycle traffic between Manhattan and New Jersey below West 178th St. Two car tunnels with no feasible means of walking or cycling other than ferries and the PATH subway to Hoboken or Jersey City. This is a serious problem that should be addressed after Sandy and 9/11. So many people stranded in Lower Manhattan and evacuating to Brooklyn or Queens isn't often the best option. The Port Authority needs to seriously consider a pedestrian / bicycle bridge crossing of the Hudson River between Greenwich and downtown Jersey City or Hoboken.

Another evacuation nightmare often overlooked is that while the millions are trying to evacuate NYC proper, there could be 3.5 million more trying to get off of Long Island across the same few bridges and tunnels.

Here's an amazing story of the evacuation of Lower Manhattan after the WTC attack. I never knew about this story, but it got me choked up. True American spirit, heroism, at its finest.

http://youtu.be/MDOrzF7B2Kg "Boatlift"
laxer

Post by laxer »

tortoise wrote:
:roll: