Maxxis Whitewalls vs. Michelin S1s vs. plugged tire

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

anthony

Maxxis Whitewalls vs. Michelin S1s vs. plugged tire

Post by anthony »

So I had a slow leak in my rear tire and it turns out there was both a piece of glass and a small, sharp piece of metal in there. My dealer plugged it for me, but said that it was a temporary solution and that I'd need to order a new tire. I've heard otherwise in the past, so I'm not sure whether maybe they're just trying to get some extra $ out of me or if I really should get it replaced.

To complicate matters, this is a 170i I bought in June with the Maxxis whitewalls that everyone said were no longer. The dealer claimed that they had some new whitewalls on order. They didn't say "Maxxis" but they made it sound as if they were referring to direct replacements (which I assume you need anyway, so as not to affect the handling with different treads). Could they possibly somehow have access to more Maxxis whitewalls? If so, I'd probably do a direct replacement, but they said the cost was $70 for one tire. Is there even a whitewall currently in production that goes for that much? I can get 2 Michelin S1s for barely more than the whitewall they quoted, so if I had to replace the tire, I could just get a set of those, which some people seem to think perform slightly better than the Maxxis anyway.

I don't know; I'm confused and indecisive. I feel like my dealer might be trying to rip me off here. Should I replace the tire? And if so, is it stupid to even consider the pricey whitewall (that may or may not be Maxxis)? I just really like the look of them (like most everyone of course). I know, I know- I should just ask the dealer what brand they are, but I don't want to get back to them until I have a better idea as to what I'm doing.

All opinions welcome. Thanks!
amy

Post by amy »

There are a TON of threads about this on here if you do a search (which is advised so we don't keep repeating info in 80 diff places).

That being said, I just replaced my Maxis (Maxxis?) whitewalls with Prima whitewalls. They look GREAT - even better than the Maxis (Maxxis/) in my opinion. They have a wider whitewall.

Maxis (Maxxis?) are no longer in production to the best of my knowledge and your chances of finding them are slim to none, unless someone has them socked away somewhere.

The Primas are very similar in tread pattern and are fab for the kind of riding I do:

- In town,
- mostly dry conditions,
- 35- 45mph,
- some hills,
- many curves.

I paid $45ish for each tire + labor.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I had the S1's put on a couple weeks ago. they are 100% better than the stock whitewalls.

No experience with the Prima tires.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I just put on the Cont. Zippys and I'm happy with them. If I had to choose between a cork or a tire change, I'd just change the tire. IMO tires are NOT where you want to skimp...
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Here's a thread with a review of the Prima white walls (short answer: decent tires that don't last long according to the reviewer).

I haven't tried them, but I can vouch for the S1's. I've only tried a few different tire brands/models but I really love the Michelins.

Whatever you do, change the plugged tire. Tires aren't that expensive and when you are only riding on two of them it's just not worth it in my opinion.
anthony

Post by anthony »

amy wrote:There are a TON of threads about this on here if you do a search (which is advised so we don't keep repeating info in 80 diff places).
yup. Did that before I posted. But A. there is conflicting info. Some people seem to say that riding on a plugged tire is okay, others say not to. I wanted to hear more opinions on this. And B. while I saw multiple mentions of Michelin S1s and their performance, as well as what people's thoughts were on the Maxxis, I didn't find a ton of direct comparisons- a few, usually with just a brief mention of something like "they are a definite improvement" or "I think they're better than the stock Maxxis". But what I was hoping for was something more in-depth. And granted, I didn't go through every thread I saw. I work full-time and have an active life outside of work, so spending a lot of hours on the computer isn't ideal to me.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I have found it very hard to get good tire info via forums and reviews. Too many variables including riding style, road types, weather, etc. I do think there's good info on how tires perform in different conditions, etc. But tire longevity is another issue.

Regarding plugs I have just never felt very comfortable with them. I've used them in car tires for long times but, like I said, losing one tire out of four is one thing. Losing one of two is another!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Because a motorcycle (scooter in this case) tire must flex so much with each revolution it is possible and likely the cords under the tread will chafe and weaken the plug.
Also, bike tires operate at higher temperatures than car tires and this will also weaken the adhesive that was used on the plug.

Plugs on bikes are really a temporary repair till the tire can be replaced....repaired bike tires are not to be trusted.

I doubt if your dealer is trying to take advantage of you.....tire replacement is the least profitable job in the dealership.....I really believe he is looking out for your well being.

Rob