Muffler - Buddy 170i Pace Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Zoro

Muffler - Buddy 170i Pace Scooter

Post by Zoro »

I just bought a Buddy 170i this week primarily to motor pace my son on his bicycle (he rides 6" behind @ 30ish mph). While the Buddy is clean, it still put out more fumes a bit too high off the ground.

What I want is a muffler that is shooting the pipe toward the ground or anything that would minimize my kid damaging his pink lungs.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Seems dangerous to me. I don't care whether it's a bike, scoot, car, whatever, tailgating at six inches, or even six feet if that's what you meant, is asking for trouble. There's just no room for error, especially in traffic. Are you allowing him to intentionally draft you, or are you more interested in speed monitoring?

Oh, and if it's for precise speed, you'll want a GPS, because your speedo, like almost all Buddys, reads around 10% high.

Tell us more.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Zoro

Post by Zoro »

Since you asked…
Yes it’s dangerous, but not as much as bike racing, where riders are as close and erratic. I am holding speed and straight line. It has been done for decades, normally big bikes and modified exhaust far from the cyclist. The electric scooters could be used but I thought a Buddy was just better. We are not near traffic and the road is closed to cars some parts. FYI – on a USMC property.
I have a wireless heart monitor, GPS and power meter I use on the Buddy. Speed is not important, as you asked, power and heart rate are. This is without being paced. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/140562179
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Is there enough pipe at the end of the muffler to put a curved pipe on? I'm thinking along the lines of those decorative tail pieces that are made for car exhaust's. Of course you couldn't use a car piece (way to big for the Buddy), but just a small curved pipe a few inches in length that could be attached, and detached as needed.
Why spend hundreds on an exhaust if you can do it for a few bucks.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Zoro

Post by Zoro »

Where would I find those? There is about an inch sticking out.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

If you have an inch of exposed exhaust tip to work with, you should be able to make a cheap and simple clamp on deflector to redirect the majority of the exhaust downward, or toward the rear tire where the air currents from the spinning wheel will help to disperse the exhaust gasses.

Measure the outside diameter of your exhaust tip, then hit the plumbing section at any hardware store of home center. Look for a copper elbow that is as close to the same diameter as possible (they make 45 degree and 90 degree fittings, use whichever one you think is best). While you are there, get a radiator hose clamp that will fit around the diameter of the elbow.

To make a stable connection, grind away about 25% of the circumference of the elbow (grind away material about the same width as the hose clamp) where the elbow will slide over the exhaust tip. Slip the elbow over the exhaust tip, then install the hose clamp and snug it down. Total cost should be less than $5.00 and can be installed or removed in less than a minute.

If you are having any trouble envisioning what I am trying to describe, let me know and I will try to make a quick sketch to clarify (although knowing my artistic skills, it might make things more confusing in the long run)...
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Is your son drafting you or pacing? If pacing, him riding a foot to one side or the other would help with fumes as well as training. (Gets him out of the wind eddy so he's doing the work instead of piggybacking off the scooter.)
If drafting, yeah: look into deflecting the exhaust either down or to the side. Just make sure you don't end up putting a scoop on there that funnels water into the exhaust pipe if/when you end up getting caught in the rain.
Water + inside an exhaust pipe = Not Fun For Engine. ;)
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Zoro wrote:Where would I find those? There is about an inch sticking out.
Try an auto parts store that sells exhaust pipe or go with thatvwbusguy suggestion, either way you'll save a bundle and get some satisfaction out of doing your own mod.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Heck use the pickup - it is way more effective. That is what we always did. No truoble at all - of course out on a vacant country lane is best if you van get there.
Zoro

Post by Zoro »

MYSCTR wrote:Heck use the pickup - it is way more effective. That is what we always did. No truoble at all - of course out on a vacant country lane is best if you van get there.
I'm in an area the car costs money or they won't let it in (State Park and USMC base, trail that does not exclude motor), actually my clean diesel he says is good. But we want something a wee more like a real bike
Last edited by Zoro on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoro

So here is what we are trying...

Post by Zoro »

Found 1" ID "Flex Pipe". I went to the auto parts store and they didn't have the 1" ID. But the 2" stuff looked great - just too big. They suggested I get it online.

So I found 1" online and ordered it. Comes in a roll several feet long so I will need to cut it.

The Buddy 170i tail pipe is 7/8" OD and 1 1/8" sticks out. So I'll put a sleeve over (looking for that, but should be easier) and I'll have something I can move and flex. Shoot - I could run it 6' out past his bike - but other issues with that - like hitting it. I expect I'll run 3' off to the side. I have some 15' to play with.

The Buddy muffler has a pretty chrome cap that may get in the way of a cap. If I'm lucky I'll find a way to just quickly add and remove. Otherwise I know I can remove the cap and clamp it.

I'll post a picture when finished - about 2 weeks...
TVB

Post by TVB »

Zoro wrote:Since you asked…
Yes it’s dangerous, but not as much as bike racing, where riders are as close and erratic.
There are two aspects to "dangerous": the likelihood of something happening, and the consequences if it does. A collision between two bicycles might be more likely, but a collision of equals (e.g. two bicyclists) usually has milder consequences than if one colliding vehicle outweighs the other (e.g. scooter vs. bicycle, car vs. scooter). Just something to keep in mind.
Zoro

Post by Zoro »

TVB wrote:
Zoro wrote:Since you asked…
Yes it’s dangerous, but not as much as bike racing, where riders are as close and erratic.
There are two aspects to "dangerous": the likelihood of something happening, and the consequences if it does. A collision between two bicycles might be more likely, but a collision of equals (e.g. two bicyclists) usually has milder consequences than if one colliding vehicle outweighs the other (e.g. scooter vs. bicycle, car vs. scooter). Just something to keep in mind.
We are going the same direction at the same speed. Few cars are around and the speed limit (ignored by most cars, but still slow) is 15MPH. Straight closed road.
If bike hits scooter - bicycle may go down - just like hitting another bicycle. If scooter slams on breaks - bicycle may hit scooter and go down, however the scooter driver is way more aware of the bicycle than in the average bike ride. Its not that bad - really.

This is what we did a couple years ago. You can see the course. the scooter allows us to go 3 miles more of closed road. Speeds are around 35MPH now.
http://youtu.be/YAD-0NauwFY
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Ummmm...if the speed limit is 15 why would you be doing 35?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

Zoro wrote:Its not that bad - really.
You don't need to convince me. I was just pointing out a difference that you might not have considered.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Zoro wrote:Where would I find those? There is about an inch sticking out.
The outside diameter of the tip on the Buddy exhaust is about an inch. Just go to any hardware store and look for pieces of curved metal tubing. Having said that, a curved tip is only going to help so much. If your application demands that you eliminate exhaust fumes from the immediate area, then your idea of an electric scooter was really a better one IMO.