Test ride

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cheshire

Test ride

Post by Cheshire »

This summer I managed to get a job at the triumph/ducati dealership. The Genuine rep just stopped by and I not only got to see the current models, but I just got to test ride a Blur 220i and a Buddy 170i.
:mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Anyone want to buy a 2009 Triumph Bonneville with 5800 miles on it?
:lol: (But seriously...that was AMAZING. Bonnie going bye-bye.)

I'm still bouncing a bit and had to share. Yup...time to get back on a scooter.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

so what do you think you're going for, the Blur or the 170i?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

As you already owned a Buddy 125, I presume a Buddy 170i would not be TOO big a surprise. So, are we talking about the Blur here? If so, there is a fair amount of competition in that segment of the market and you may wish to compare a couple of the competitors. Kymco, Piaggio BV, whatever.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I...don't know. That's going to take some thought.
The 170 felt like "home", but I don't know if it's because the seating position is more favorable to my riding style or if it's because I had a 125 for 2 years. The 170's CVT kicked in at lower rpm's than the Blur's, which I liked (in favor of the 170), but that can probably be fine-tuned with clutch springs...or I might just get used to it. I've gotten very used to a motorcycle's clutch, so I might have just been being reserved and a bit timid on the throttle.
The higher seat height on the Blur was a delight. I'm 6'2", so any of the Buddy scooters have no option for a passenger for me without hanging my knees out (which I don't like to do). The Blur's stepped seat was much more accommodating than I was expecting. Since I took the car today instead of the motorcycle, my helmet was at home and the test rides were in the parking lot and down the entrance to the industrial building behind the shop. This meant I didn't get to test the Blur's seating position out on the road properly, but (knowing myself) I wouldn't be able to really be sure without a test of 15-30 minutes at least.

Which one...I'd have to really look hard at what I'd be using it for (distance-wise) and probably get a proper test ride on the Blur. Even then, I might have to resort to my trusty decision standby: ye olde coin-toss.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Dooglas wrote:As you already owned a Buddy 125, I presume a Buddy 170i would not be TOO big a surprise. So, are we talking about the Blur here? If so, there is a fair amount of competition in that segment of the market and you may wish to compare a couple of the competitors. Kymco, Piaggio BV, whatever.
Whatever I get, it'll be a Genuine. It'll take something huge to pull me away from them after all the memories I made with my B125. I still get nostalgic every time I look at some of the travel pictures.
The 170 had enough more oomph than the 125 on uphills that it was noticeable. Since I'm in the mountains, that's a tremendous plus. It's really going to be a hard call. Do I want floorboard space, or would I prefer the option of having a passenger...and just how important to me is that higher top speed? Hard decisions.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

going from motorcycle to scooter? sounds like back to scooter?

can you please elaborate a bit more on why this is? riding impressions, etc?

what is the matter with the Bonneville?
Riding is riding
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Nothing wrong with the Bonnie: of the 3 motorcycles I've had since my B125, the Bonnie is my favorite. If I were to stay with motorcycles, I'd be perfectly content with the bonneville.

That said, I've noticed that my annual mileage has dropped significantly since going from scooters to motorcycles. It's just not as much fun. I rarely go over 60-70 mph, and that includes riding on the interstate. Maintenance is cheaper and simpler on a scooter. Tires cost much less, chain cleaning/lubing is a pain to keep up with compared to an enclosed CVT belt/variator, winter is much more hassle-free on a scooter.

I think one of the bigger factors in my getting away from scooters was thinking interstates would make a difference (I've gotten to where I prefer to avoid them, even on motorcycles) and, honestly, I succumbed to "motorcycles are cooler" peer pressure.

When it's just me, I find myself frequently thinking that I'm not going much (if any) faster than I did on my B125. 50 mpg and $120+ tires is a bit of a killjoy when what makes my eyes sparkle is wandering backroads all day long and just exploring.