Slipping Grip—Does anybody know how to fix?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmer1234

Slipping Grip—Does anybody know how to fix?

Post by jmer1234 »

So, my left grip has slowly been creeping off over the six months I have had my Stella. It does not move when I try to push it back on, and I am at a loss as to why it is coming off. Does anybody know a shop trick to get it back on? With mountain bikes, a shot of compressed air will loosen the grip to get it on and off.
Attachments
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
kamuela5

Post by kamuela5 »

I had the same problem with the stock grips too. I'm not sure if it will work the type of grips you have but it's worth a try. I used Pro Taper grip glue and they were stuck on until I cut them off. I use the same stuff on my dirt bikes as well and it holds them on just fine.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I also had this problem with the stock brown rubber grips (different than the ones you have) on my 4T within the first 200 miles. When I took it in for the first service my dealer said that the slippage was due to the stock grips being crap and degrading as soon as they spend a few hours in the sun. They then replaced them gratis with black Vespa PX grips which feel a million times more substantial. The metal grips that come with the blue and bi-color models look a bit more solid, but maybe you need new grips too.
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

The problem is that they are the PX style grips. Whatever glue is used will not budge. It is just slowly, incrementally creeping off. Not on and off with a little bit of force.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

jmer1234 wrote:The problem is that they are the PX style grips. Whatever glue is used will not budge. It is just slowly, incrementally creeping off. Not on and off with a little bit of force.
Ah, my PX grips are different- black rubber with no metal like the stock brown grips mine came with, but much higher quality. My dealer said that the metal Stella grips were crappy and degrade and slip too for what it's worth, although I don't know how.
79_Limited

Post by 79_Limited »

I just ran into this with those same grips on my new Stella. After some reading I used "Goop" adhesive you can get from Depot. It is now solid as a rock.

We will see how it holds up.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

But, he's saying that it wont budge. he cant get it to go back up to the original position..
I would try a hair dryer.... heat that sucker up for a while... get it good and hot.. then try to mash it back up... or take it off and re-glue it like the others suggest..
First, you have to get it to move...
good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

I’ll give the hairdryer a try. Thanks Jimmbomb.
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

The hairdryer did the trick! Set the hairdryer on it for 2 −3 minutes, until it was very warm to the touch, then with a bit of huffing and puffing, got it to slowly slide back on.

Thanks everyone.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

good job.....
thanks for the follow-up.
that info should help others in a similar situation.
thanks again.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
79_Limited

Post by 79_Limited »

Nice scoot! I have the same one.

I just ran into this with those same grips. Someone recommended Goop adhesive that you get from Home Depot and it worked liked a charm.

Others also recommended Aquanet hairspray but that actually made mine worse.