New Owner

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skippy

New Owner

Post by Skippy »

Hey Guys- Just purchased my first Buddy last week and joined the message board yesterday. Got a 2012 Buddy 125 in Seafoam and have put a whopping 30 miles on it in the last week, weather permitting. Looking forward to any tips or advice you all have and to hooking up with other owners in my area- there is at least one I see on the map.

Skippy
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Buddy 125. It is really a great ride. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. (now, about that MSF course :wink: )
Attachments
WelcomeDog.jpg
WelcomeDog.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Welcome. Let me be the second to say, "take the MSF". even if your a seasoned rider, a refresher course, no matter how boring, may be of some use. Any Pictures?
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thanks for the MSF advice. I was thinking about taking it, but have heard conflicting advice. Some say it's not necessary since I already have my motorcycle license. Got it in 1986 when I bought a small motorcycle, but haven't ridden since the 90s. They thought the class was mostly to help people pass the DMV test to get the license. I have to say, though that riding a scooter is a different experience than straddling a cycle.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Oh, and pic coming soon :D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

if it's been a decade or two (happens to the best of us!), then I'd say take a refresher. Let them know you have the license but you'd like to just recover the basics.

congrats on the new scoot!
Skippy

Pic as promised -sort of

Post by Skippy »

As you can see, I've added the Seafoam Buddy avatar to my profile. I tried to post a pic of my actual scooter but the file size was too big, so had to settle for the gallery shot-close enough. If there's an easy way to post it, let me know. The rules state no bigger than 16kb, and my photo was 662 kb.

8)
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Skippy wrote:Thanks for the MSF advice. I was thinking about taking it, but have heard conflicting advice. Some say it's not necessary since I already have my motorcycle license. Got it in 1986 when I bought a small motorcycle, but haven't ridden since the 90s. They thought the class was mostly to help people pass the DMV test to get the license. I have to say, though that riding a scooter is a different experience than straddling a cycle.
I rode MC's in the 80's in San Diego and never took the MSF course.
When I got my Buddy in 2008, I took the MSF course and I think it's something everyone should do.
You learn so much; I think all vehicle drivers would benefit from it (at least the one I went through).
It will help keep you safe, and possibly help save your life. [/soapbox]
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
phatch

Post by phatch »

Tocsik wrote:When I got my Buddy in 2008, I took the MSF course and I think it's something everyone should do.
You learn so much; I think all vehicle drivers would benefit from it (at least the one I went through).
Hear Hear!
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

Tocsik wrote:I rode MC's in the 80's in San Diego and never took the MSF course.
When I got my Buddy in 2008, I took the MSF course and I think it's something everyone should do.
I'm with you there. It's very helpful to have someone explain things like accelerate coming out of a turn, push-right-go-right, etc. I wouldn't have picked up those things any way other than a formal course. I can't remember anyone saying it was a waste of time, even for someone with lots of real world experience. The general feedback is that students pick up something useful, even those with lots of time riding. And then there is that "You might learn something that will save your life" thing...
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death