NoHo Scooters Closing

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

NoHo Scooters Closing

Post by Mike @ NoHo Scooters »

It is with great sadness that I must announce the closing of NoHo Scooters at the end of the year. I started the business with my father back in 2002. I kept the shop open through good and bad times including the death of my father in 2007. We have been LA’s premier scooter shop and have had the pleasure of representing many great brands. Our support of the local scooter scene and the LA Scooter Group has been a highlight of the past ten years. We have had the best customers, many of whom have become great friends.

I’m not going to go into the reasons for the shop’s closure, as there are many. I don’t consider it a failure, as it has been a great pleasure taking care of the scooter riding public in Los Angeles. It has not been an easy decision to close, but I know now that it is the right decision.

Effective immediately we will no longer take in any service or repair work beyond a quick service, tire change, brakes, etc. Anything beyond that will be sent to Route 66 Riders in Marina Del Rey, as they are a dealer for all the same makes as us (except Kymco). We are going to keep the service department open as long as we can to get existing larger jobs finished.

We still have an inventory of new and pre-owned scooters and motorcycles, which will be part of a blowout sale beginning today. Out of respect of other dealers in the area, I will not be advertising our sale prices. On Saturday December 15th, we will be having a going out of business party. Our annual Holiday Lights Ride will take place after closing at 6PM. Our last day of operation for the showroom, and service drop-offs will be Saturday December 22nd. We will keep the service department open the following week to get existing work finished.

Thank you once again to all of our great customers and friends for the past ten years. I’m sure I will see you on a scooter ride in the future.

Mike Frankovich
Owner of NoHo Scooters
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Ah! I'm so sorry to hear this Mike, but much love to you and all your team. I'm going to miss the shop very much.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Mike,

Sorry to hear you are closing. Thanks for the many great rides and support to the scooter community.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

NO!!!!!! I bought my 170I there. Played Donky Kong and had all of my mataince done there!!!! This is a sad day indeed!!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ModernBuddy may not exist today—and certainly wouldn't be the site it is today—without NoHo Scooters. We all owe NoHo, Mike and many who've worked at the shop a big thanks for all they've done for ModernBuddy over the years.

I'm sure many of the members here know that NoHo is my local shop; I live about 2 miles away. I learned more about scooters from Mike and his crew over the years than I ever would have on scooter forums. It was a great place to gather, meet and talk to other scooterists and spend hours simply talking scooters with people who knew them better than anyone else I know.

Having such a great local shop was key in getting me engaged in the local, then larger, scooter communities. Mike has been a tireless supporter of ModernBuddy, sending all his customers there. NoHo has also done more to support the local scooter community than any other shop in the area. The shop sponsored and helped host the old Scootin' Fools rally. They were the finish line for the first scooter Cannonball. And they sponsored the LA Scooter Group. A huge number of our almost 1000 LASG members came to us via recommendations from Mike or others at the shop.

It would take two hands to count the friends I've made through the shop. Not just Facebook, "Hey, I know you" friends but people who I actually like spending time with in person. My personal life and activities would be much different if not for NoHo Scooters. Mike has been (and I'm sure will continue to be) a great and valued friend, one of the most generous, sincere and honest people I know.

I'm sorry to see NoHo go for all of these reasons. I can always find someone to work on my scooter, but great shops are very hard to find.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I'm sorry to learn that NoHo is closing. I've heard great things about 'em all the way down in Tucson and have much respect for any mechanics that can keep a Riva 180 in starting condition ("starting" is a lot harder than "running" when it comes to the 180s).

I know I'd be hella bummed if my local shop closed. Sure, it's easy to get parts online; I have do do it for several of mine becaise they're just that uncommon/uncool. However, I enjoy going down to my shop to visit and sometimes talk tech.

Mike, best of luck in your future endeavours and thank you for your contributions to the scooting community.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

this is sad news. i wish mike and his family all the best. w/e the reason for the closure it won't be the same without having a "drop in" shop to go to. my numerous visits to noho over the last two and a half years have been important for my continuing interest in scooters. and the greeting was always friendly

i was gonna get an engine "service" done at the start of the new year on my A125. now what? :( i suppose i will find a place or go it alone. i have a local powersports store but idk...

anyway mike is a great guy with a pretty wife and a cute baby. baby looks just like him, a real scooting chip off the 'ol block. noho is / was a great scooter shop. unpretentious, no bs. like its owner. i always liked that.

my mother bought a blackjack from noho. three months later i bought an Agility. my mother does not ride, i now own both scooters. i am 47 years old. just over two years ago i never thought of life on two wheels, period. this year i will be getting a motorcycle to go with my scooters, and i don't own a car. funny how life works out

and noho scooters was obviously a big part of that. if not for THAT day i would not be a rider. mike was alone in the shop, had a sale on Buddy's, and he took a few hours with my mother and i. he spoke of scooters, his father, his business, and helped my mom choose a scooter. it was the first time either of us had ever been in a motorbike shop, really. but mike made us feel at home and my mom comfortable with the idea of riding. a scooter was sold

and then another, to me. and today i own both. i have no doubt mike being so thoughtful the first time we met and giving me an unheard of deal on my scooter a few months later is what got me riding, and has led me to this point in my riding life. which has been an amazing journey, and will continue to be for years to come

so thanks mike. and to your father who got it all started, your family at home, as well as at noho. if you ever wonder about "making a difference" and all that crap, just know you and your hard work most certainly did. to a city of scooterisits, motorcyclists, and those who ride the streets of L.A. everyday, noho scooters was a name known all over town, and to the scooting community of the nation by and large. honesty, integrity, quality of work, a fair deal, and people who care about the customer. not easy to replace in a scooter shop. some might even say impossible

thanks mike, and good luck.....
Last edited by JHScoot on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Riding is riding
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Even though I'm far from NoHo, it always struck me as the kind of shop I'd like to have nearby. I know it is a very well-loved and respected place by members here. Very sorry to hear of its closing and I wish the best to you, Mike, and everyone else involved!
mattgordon

Knowledge-base

Post by mattgordon »

Mike has probably forgotten more about scooters, than most shops know about them.

Add to that, he's the genuine article (no Buddy pun intended, but it kind of works!) loves scooters for scooter's sake, and is equally interested and enthusiastic in the vintage as well as not so vintage side.

I've never heard a disparaging word about him from anyone in the scooter buying community, and he has always had a shop anyone feels at home in, even if its just to stop in just to shoot the bull.

Shops like NoHo Scooters are the anti-thesis to the boutique model of bike stores and I for one hate to see one of the best "real" shops go by the wayside.

Mike's a smart fella and Im sure he's doing whats best for him and his family, and at the end of the day family is what matters most.

Best wishes to Mike, his family and staff of NoHo Scooters.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Mike, best of luck in your future endeavors.

I won't hold your getting me booted from the Kymco forum (many years ago) against you! :wink:
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

For all the reasons that everybody mentions above, this is heartbreaking news for the scooter community.

Mike, I wish you the best of luck in all future ventures!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

This is one of the few times I am kinda sorta speechless. This is hugely sad news. There will be a void in the LA scooter scene for a long time to come. But I have no doubt at all that Mike knows what is best.

NoHo has been the heart and soul of LA's scooter scene not to mention the place that has kept many of our scooters on the road. It has always been a scooter shop like no other and most everyone who knows Mike or has done business with NoHo has countless endearing stories to tell because of it. The shop is a labor of love and that love is evident in everything that Mike has done. I have never seen anyone go to greater lengths to help his customers and the people he loves, often times at his own expense.

On a personal note — literally from day one, Mike and NoHo Scooters played a huge part in my introduction to scooting and the scooting life in general. Ever since the day I took my first scooter into the shop for service, Mike and the gang at NoHo have answered my endless newbie questions, taught me proper scooter care and maintenance, and even over time taught me how to service my own scooter. If this isn't above and beyond your average scooter shop, I don't know what is.

My first group ride ever left from NoHo Scooters with Mike at the lead. I had so much fun that day, scooting changed forever. Before long I too was leading the LA Scooter Group, all because of Mike and NoHo Scooters and the people I met there — really fine people of which our own EricAlm is one.

And as one thing leads to another, it's safe to say there would be no Adventurists Scooter Group without all of the above.

Mike, I thank you for everything. NoHo Scooters will be dearly missed. But as for you, I hope I won't have the chance to miss you! Now that you will have some free time, let's get out for a few rides!

I wish you the greatest happiness on the road ahead my friend.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Mike, best wishes on future endeavors. I heard so many good vibes about NoHo through JP, Eric, MB, the Facebook page, Phil McCaleb, and the many other forum users to become a fan from the opposite side of the country. Thank you for all the work you put in to make Los Angeles the best scooter scene in America, by far!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dam, that sucks.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Bummer, obviously no personal experience being from Kansas, but from reading comments about NoHo sounded like an awesome place.
Mike may your path be filled with exciting new adventures with the the void of the loss of this business. :D
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

This makes my heart hurt, all the way from Austin. I'm so sorry to hear this.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Always sad to hear of a great hangout/shop closing it's doors.

But, it seems it is well loved, so Mike, I hope that means you get to spend more time here, more time riding, and more time with your family!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

ericalm wrote:
I'm sure many of the members here know that NoHo is my local shop; I live about 2 miles away. I learned more about scooters from Mike and his crew over the years than I ever would have on scooter forums. It was a great place to gather, meet and talk to other scooterists and spend hours simply talking scooters with people who knew them better than anyone else I know.

^^^^ As some of you know, I owned a shop in Baltimore for 14 years, and I heard that SO MUCH after we had to close. I never realized how much of a meeting place and hangout spot we had become till we closed our doors. I STILL hold that close and realize all the lives we touched and people we got started on the right path with 2 wheels.

Sorry to hear of a shop closing, but I wish you THE BEST in whatever you choose to do next in life.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

NoHo was L.A's premiere place to get a Genuine Scooter

Riding is riding
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Thanks for sharing those photos for some of us that have never been there.
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

really sux what is happening to the small business owners....here was a happier article to share about Mike:
http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?ta ... frankovich
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
MGM

Post by MGM »

NoHo was also a first rate Royal Enfield dealer. On a recent visit to LA, I made a point to visit and meet Mike. Had a great time and on the way out he handed me a couple of NoHo plate frames. My Black Jack is now probably the only scooter in PA with a NoHo logo on it. They will be missed.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Sad to hear a much loved shop is going away.....

I would be lost without my local shop, in fact sometimes I think I'm the reason he handles Genuine, they never heard of them till I got my Buddy and they saw it and worked on it for me.

Best of luck to the whole NoHo family.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I am sorry to hear about this, I've heard a great deal about this shop, and all of it was good. :(
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm like many here. Although I've never been to NoHo, I've heard so many great things about it through MB, I felt a degree of sadness to hear of the closing.

I can personally attest to the value of a great local dealer as I've had the opposite. My local shop was essentially incompetent with poor customer support. A local real estate guy that decided to get into the scooter business when things were at their peak. I wasn't too surprised or saddened when they decided to shut things down.

Good luck!

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Well that is sad news. and I hope new challenges are gratifying for the staff and Mike. R
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

tortoise wrote:Article . . NoHo's Scooter Source Says Goodbye
Shout out for Greasy, Jano and Junior, and a link to the Meetup group are nice!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ericalm wrote:
tortoise wrote:Article . . NoHo's Scooter Source Says Goodbye
Shout out for Greasy, Jano and Junior, and a link to the Meetup group are nice!
ERIC -

do you know the best way to get a hold of mike and have him actually get a message or return one? he was to sell me a riding jacket at closeout prices, i left town for the holidays and left him an email and voicemail but no reply

i return and a new message says "closed for good" on the noho machine. mike says leave a message for him for scooter rentals for film / tv but the repair shop is still open. i call the shop and they say the showrrom still has stuff in it and the jacket might be there, but w/o mikes permision they most likely can't sell it to me. which i think is kinda bs but w/e. i think if its there its mine! :)

however you know the side of town i live in, i am busy, and just can't ride back and forth all the time looking for my jacket. i want to go once, buy it, and get out. busy time of the year, and i have time tomorrow. but not much more. i don't want to leave messages all over the internet for mike. seems silly as he probably get's them but can't be bothered. i mean his shop closed. BUT, i still want the jacket.

help lol! :cry:
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

meh you know what i have no choice but to ride down tomorrow. the guy said mike "might" be there on Wed. BUT, i can't go down on Wed or the following days because i won't be around. so, i am going to go see what is what. don't care if mike isn't there, if the jacket is i'd like to talk to....someone....anyone....about it
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

woo hoo!. disregard all of the above i got the jacket. rode down and the gentleman who helped me out before was there and remembered, and after a very brief mention of it to the other guys on the job there the jacket was mine :)

thank you once again, noho. even in its very last days they still come through. now i can leave town without feeling as if i missed an opportunity for a great jacket at a great price. looks good on me, too :P

three FINAL cheers for the best scooter shop there ever was.....
Riding is riding
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

Reminds me of how people felt when Scoot Around Town in Ypsilanti closed. Nothing has replaced it yet, people don't line up to run scooter shops, apparently.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^

yes and it makes me sad and wonder why it needs to be that way. i mean a scooter or mc would seem to be niche products when it comes down to it. but in a large city like L.A. and a shop like noho it would seem a definite go. but i guess not.

seems some dealers in the city which deal in china scoots are still open. people buy china scoots i suppose? cheap and cheaper. and the powersport places are most likely supported by its other sales and services. so a scooter only shop like noho and the one you mention? must be a tough go, indeed. and mike has a family. not like its time to sleep at the shop and work 20 hours a day on a break even proposition

some beach city scooter shops here are still open. idk the business but my guess is sales and rentals might be a bit more robust with the "fun in the sun flip flops and shorts" riders. but when they scrape their big toe on the pavement and quit riding, then what?
Riding is riding
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Article . . Closed Scooter Shop Now Open Mic Spot

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iv1Mh5xwxSM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iv1Mh5xwxSM?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>