Cold Starts - How long does it usually take?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jason

Cold Starts - How long does it usually take?

Post by jason »

So when I first go to start my Stella up, it can take up to 10 times to finally get it to kick over.

Choke is open, gas is on, it just takes a bit of kicking to get her to stay running (there's a few times where it runs for a second and dies).

Then once it's idling and I shut off the choke, the minute I give it any throttle to get the engine revving, it dies instantly. Then I have to kick it over some more, eventually giving it a bit of gas until it takes hold, then I have to keep the throttle open a little.

If I hit a stop sign in the first few miles, I have to keep the throttle open a bit as well to keep it from dieing as well. But eventually she warms up and all is right again.

Does this sound about right for late-fall/early-winter cold starts?
stASH

Post by stASH »

That's definitely not my experience. I've only had the bike since early October but I think I've spanned the transition from warm to cold. I don't even have to use the choke and it starts immediately with the electric start and always on the first or second kick if I kick start. I noticed that when it got cold my idle was a little high. My shop adjusted that at my first service. So far the bike has never stalled at idle.

The stalling from a little bit of throttle when it's cold reminds my of one of my older motorcycles, needed some carb cleaning to resolve that. Maybe try a little seafoam in the tank? Just guessing though.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Mine kicks on the 2nd time consistently. You do have to let it warm up for a couple of minutes 1st though.

I raised my idle a little, and i think that has helped to shorten the time that it takes to warm up.

My routine is to start it, then put my gear on, thus giving it time to warm up.

If it is that hard starting, maybe try a new plug.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

It never gets too cold here. Sometimes 40 overnight, but usually not colder than 49 in the morning when I go to start her. I always start with choke. I rarely start with kicker, but when I have, no more than 3 kicks to get it going. That said, it does take a long time to warm up. If I don't have time to wait, I ride with the choke on until it warms up so it doesn't die at stops.
jason

Post by jason »

Thanks for the tips. I'll go and check the spark plug, tweak the idle, and give it more time to warm up.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

stASH wrote: Maybe try a little seafoam in the tank? Just guessing though.
That's the first thing I would try. Might be a little water buildup. Ethanol SUCKS!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

BuddyRaton wrote:
stASH wrote: Maybe try a little seafoam in the tank? Just guessing though.
That's the first thing I would try. Might be a little water buildup. Ethanol SUCKS!

My liver respectfully disagrees.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

Since you have a 2012 Stella, I am going to suggest that your choke is not fully closing. You can check this by fully engaging the choke with the lever, and then seeing if you can close the choke even more manually. I have, and have read of others here having, a choke cable that is too long (a 2012 issue). I had to actually pull the end of the choke cable out of the bracket and balance it on the end. If the cable is secured in the bracket, I have similar issues to what you are describing. One of these days I am going to talk to my dealer about it, but so far it is working.
Attachments
IMG_0594 copy.jpg
IMG_0594 copy.jpg (142.21 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I start mine with the choke on and give it 4 or 5 minutes to warm up. No
problems once it is warmed up. We have had a lot of problems in our area
with ethanol build up in the carbs. We are supposed to be getting 10%
ethanol mix but suspect that we might be getting the 15% mixture instead.
I use StaBil ethanol treatment in my 5 gallon cans(I always keep 10 gals.
on hand and carry a gallon with me) and rarely fill up at service stations.
So far so good.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

I always kick start mine and it always starts on the first kick - no choke. However, it's garaged and it never gets very cold in So. Ca.
vapidorg

Post by vapidorg »

i have the same issue with mine as the original poster. it always starts first kick with the choke out, then runs for about 10 seconds and starts to sputter, then i put the choke in, runs for 10 secs...sputter, pull choke out, repeat...

one question about my choke. it should be staying out when pulled out right? because mine goes back in (spring loaded)

just frustrating since i'd like to ride to work in the cooler weather but dont have the time to sit out there with it jacking with the choke for 10-15 mins...

any ideas on that?

and in Houston, it rarely gets THAT cold...
jason

Post by jason »

I've been riding mine all winter. I just kind of learned to let it warm up. It takes a few times to get it going, but I give it throttle and open it up just a little bit when it first gets going. That seems to help.

Eventually it'll idle on its own and that's when I start putting on my gear.

Then I start driving and when I get to stop signs I keep the throttle open and the clutch in to keep it running.

Eventually I don't need to do this as the engine is good and warm.