[NSR] that "OTHER" category

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

[NSR] that "OTHER" category

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I'm trying to clear up the now 2.1 GB of "other" on my iphone. That's precious real estate for me. I deleted video and picture messages as one source suggested. I did a reboot, and a power down / resync as others suggested. I'm worried that I'm going to lose game save data and bookmarks if I do a full restoration. How can I do a full restore and save my game stats? And I am also registered on Game Center for my achievements. I'm a nerd.

On some other forum, this was suggested. Again, afraid to lose some stuff.
My "other" was 6 GB. The trick that worked for me was pretty simple. I backed it up in iTunes, then just did a restore from the recent backup. In my case, the "other" went from 6 GB to about 1.1, which is pretty standard.
so what have YOU done to get rid of this "other" crap.

iPhone 4s on the iOS 6 software.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

Pony up the $25 and do iTunes match, moving your music off your phone and into the cloud.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
TVB

Post by TVB »

If you do a full backup (to iTunes or iCloud), reset the device to factory software, and restore from backup, you shouldn't lose anything. I've done it numerous times: a couple times on my own phone (e.g. upgrading to a newer one), and several times with company iPhones at my tech support job.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Woah! Apple makes you pay to back up data to cloud services? Glad I got 25 GB for free with my windows phone. As for more memory grab, I admittedly don't know any tricks for that since the iPhone doesn't allow you access to your own data. Many phones don't these days save for Android. I kind of wish Windows Phone 8 didn't try going the same route Apple did removing file management options
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dunno. I use a Jitterbug™ &#9786;
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

neotrotsky wrote:Woah! Apple makes you pay to back up data to cloud services?
A certain amount of iCloud storage is included free when you buy a new Apple device. Music and other content purchased from Apple is stored free. If you want more storage space, you can pay for more.
iTunes Match is a separate service that allows you to store and synch your music (regardless of where you got it, such as CDs) in the cloud.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

aren't there file managers that you can download from the app store?

if not, try connecting to a linux box/life cd. I think that you can access the internal file system without problems under linux.

this kinda crap is the reason that i don't buy apple products.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

just an update, I did a full backup and restore. It droped it from 2.11 GB down to 1.6. Not much help, but I guess that's just the iOS 6 operating software, since it's a 4S phone. I think it's a jack move that with only 16GB, they hog up 1.5 of that for their operating system. But that's just my opinion, I just need to be more diligent about limiting clutter and "digital hoarding" as I call it.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Yeah, iTunes match was really worth the price for me. A lot of the music I had was ripped from my old actual cd collections in the early days of iTunes (back when the ipod was 5 gigs and actually spun a harddrive). As a result I had crap quality on some of my favorite music, because I ripped it way back when. They match everything you have (for me that's about 2 1/2 terrabytes of music) with better quality versions from the iTunes store, just so you don't have upload anything at all. And now I don't have to worry about iTunes making stupid multiple duplicates of various albums- let's face it, iTunes has become a beast if you have a large music collection. I think this is the fix, and won't begrudge them that tiny fee. YMMV.

EDIT- one caveat. It sucks if your internet is not fast. Some music I had was not on the iTunes store, in which case it does want to upload. That would really have sucked for me living in the boonies (no good service) if I didn't have a friend I could run my laptop to to complete that process.