Please help - draining carb on a buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

setyaback

Please help - draining carb on a buddy 50

Post by setyaback »

Hello -- I'm looking for a bit of help. Am in the process of winterizing my buddy 50 here in the northland, and having some issues draining the carb bowl. My scoot is the Italia version if that matters.

I removed the seat and pet carrier, and I've found the carb. Pretty tight in there. Removed the airbox and that opens things up a bit. Here's a photo of what I see with arrows pointing to what I *thought* were the drain screw and line:

I hooked up a longer piece of fuel line there that led down to a bucket, and backed that screw out a few turns, and it started draining...and draining...and draining. By the time I'd collected maybe 1/4 of a one-gallon ice cream bucket or so, I figured I must've been doing something wrong :) So either there's another screw somewhere to drain the carb bowl, or else the vacuum petcock isn't functioning how it's supposed to be? Because gas keeps coming. Has to be way more than what's sitting in the bowl & lines.

If someone could please chime in here, I'd greatly appreciate. I'm a long-time scooter rider, but first year w/ a buddy. I'm used to working on vintage Honda step-throughs (Cubs, primarily) -- which have their own unique challenges, but the carb is extremely accessible and I'm a bit flustered after spending the better part of an afternoon out there and not getting this done. Usually the carb drain is on the BOTTOM of the bowl, but there is literally no clearance under this carb, I don't see how you could get under there without removing the carb completely.

Thinking I'm going to have to install a manual petcock next summer, would make things a heck of a lot easier. Turn the petcock off and let the bike run until it uses up what's left in the bowl, presto, done.

Thanks a million for the help!
My Buddy125

Post by My Buddy125 »

I would say your petcock is not shutting off the fuel. I always just add sta-bil to the fuel for the winter. Start the engine and let run for 5-10 min. This is alot easier to me than anything.
setyaback

Post by setyaback »

My Buddy125 wrote:I would say your petcock is not shutting off the fuel. I always just add sta-bil to the fuel for the winter. Start the engine and let run for 5-10 min. This is alot easier to me than anything.
Thanks for the feedback. So you're confirming that this is actually the correct screw to drain the carb bowl?

I did the stabil thing and ran for 10 minutes to get it mixed in well. They recommend draining the carb bowl too, especially on the smaller 50 cc, because these little carbs can get gummed up more easily. But, if the vac petcock isn't functioning properly, not much I can do at this point in the season.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've never had any problem simply mixing Sta-bil in the last fill-up (no draining). Last winter was mild enough that I got to ride every few weeks, but the previous couple Michigan winters it just sat for a few months, but started up easily enough.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

setyaback wrote:
My Buddy125 wrote:I would say your petcock is not shutting off the fuel. I always just add sta-bil to the fuel for the winter. Start the engine and let run for 5-10 min. This is alot easier to me than anything.
Thanks for the feedback. So you're confirming that this is actually the correct screw to drain the carb bowl?

I did the stabil thing and ran for 10 minutes to get it mixed in well. They recommend draining the carb bowl too, especially on the smaller 50 cc, because these little carbs can get gummed up more easily. But, if the vac petcock isn't functioning properly, not much I can do at this point in the season.
Yes, the screw you loosened is indeed the bowl drain.
If the petcock would shut off, you would only get 10 to 15cc of fuel and thats that.

I believe the petcock is supposed to open only when vacuum is provided through a running engine and automatically shut off when the engine is shut off.
If I'm correct, a petcock rebuild or replacement is your only route.

Although Sta-Bil is effective on slowing the degradation of the fuel in the tank, it does not stop evaporation.
Because the carburetor is vented, the fuel evaporates and leaves behind the various cosolvents.
These dry and leave behind a rather hard, green substance that usually plugs the idle circuit.
By draining the carburetor, you eliminate the possibility of this.

Rob
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I added a small manual fuel shutoff as further insurance that nothing would get to the carb over the course of the winter. Something like this should work fine:
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-6 ... +off+valve
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
setyaback

Post by setyaback »

Thanks so much for confirmation. Feels good to know I was at least on the right screw, etc. I'll just try to start frequently this winter and will get the manual shutoff this spring.

Cheers!
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

thatvwbusguy wrote:I added a small manual fuel shutoff as further insurance that nothing would get to the carb over the course of the winter. Something like this should work fine:
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-6 ... +off+valve
Thanks for the link!
So we have 1/4" ID gas line?
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

It is most likely metric, not 1/4". You should be able to push it onto a 1/4" barb fitting without too much trouble though, the hose is soft and pliable.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
setyaback

Post by setyaback »

I'm going to be buying 3 of these (or something similar) - scoot, lawn mower, snow blower :)

thanks again.