Dropping your Blur at low speed ?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

toadold

Dropping your Blur at low speed ?

Post by toadold »

I figure sooner or latter a diesel oil spill, black ice, or some other road hazard will set me up for a fall. I read somewhere that with a scooter the best thing to do if you feel you are going over on a low speed fall is not to try and stop it with a leg or put your hand out to catch your self, but to tuck in, hang on to the handle bars and let the foot boards protect you.
The other thing I was wondering about is how much impact can the Blur plastic take? Anybody have any experience with a low speed drop on their Blur?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Chances are that it'll happen so fast that no amount of planning will be able to override your natural instincts to brace yourself with an arm or a leg. Your best line of defense is your protective gear since it requires no active participation on your part.

As to durability, I dumped my Blur 150 at 30mph and, other than some scratches and scuffs that were easily fixed with filler putty and paint, there was no appreciable damage. The plastics were extremely durable. Nothing shattered, split, or cracked.
toadold

Post by toadold »

Huh, impressive durability on the Blur.
My most spectacular drop was off of a 1996 Honda Hawk, the one with the single side arm with the ecentric bushing for chain adjustment. It was a tad over 30 mph and I did a "High Side Departure". I wish
that I'd had a somewhat better glove, since I attempted to stop my self with my thumb, and some elbow pads would have been nice also. Pretty much trashed my full face helmet but it did its job. I hit hard enough to pop one of the lenses out of my eye glasses. I'd hit a patch of wet road lime that I thought was dried paint, Doh! Bike did OK since it had an aftermarket case gaurd on it......My war stories and fish tales. Old age sucks.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

my son was practicing for his Ohio motorcycle endorsement test on his CBR600 when I talked him into doing the test on my Blur ... He was a decent rider and able to control his bike fairly well at that time, but the smaller scoot would make the 2nd testing element, around the staggered cones, a lot easier.

Anyway ... while practicing the 3rd element, from a stop > speed up to 25-ish by the 1st mark > keep steady speed until the 2nd mark > then do an emergency stop on a grid where they measure the distance it took to stop; he was (in my opinion) not braking hard enough. I encouraged him to brake harder while keeping in mind that he must emphasize the left/rear brake over the right/front. He indeed hit the brakes harder on his next effort, but used too much front, resulting in a lock-up where the front wheel turned left and the bike slammed down on the right side with him leaping off at the instant of impact. I was so glad he wasn't hurt ... but then could think of nothing but the fact that my until-that-moment-perfect Blur was now laying on the asphalt. He did what I said ... kind of ... so I couldn't be mad at anyone but myself. I picked up the bike and put it on the side-stand, then walked to the right side to access the damages. Right mirror edge had scrapes. right grip and brake pull were both sanded down a bit on the end. muffler cover was scraped down the side. soft rubber guard over the air intake looked the worst of all ... then I noticed the hard plastic body was sanded down on the curve next to where the toe of your boot would rest. It took a few turns of the starter for the engine to clear and start, but everything worked and ran without issue. Sure, he was probably only going 10 mph when it fell, but the reality of it all was that there was very little damage and no effect on drivability or performance at all.

The Blur is strong!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

I realize this thread is a few months old, but I wanted to offer my $.02 anyway, for a plug for having Proper Riding Gear.

I agree with Charlie55's comment:

"Chances are that it'll happen so fast that no amount of planning will be able to override your natural instincts to brace yourself with an arm or a leg. Your best line of defense is your protective gear since it requires no active participation on your part."

A few years ago, I was riding my '07 Burgman 400, about 2 hours from home, while I was leading a Group Ride. As I made a right turn onto a newly paved road, my front wheel slid to the left on some loose blackened gravel, and my Burgy was headed for a Low-Side Impact on the Right Side.

Having ridden Road Bikes and Mountain Bikes for 40+ years, I instinctively threw out my right leg, and kicked my Burgy back up into an upright position, and regained control. My action impressed the 20+ Riders behind me..... but scared the sCrap out of me! I couldn't believe what I had done, thinking that what I used to do with Bicycles in the past, had actually worked on a 500 lb Scooter. I had, in fact, read many a Scooter/Motorcycle Book, that recommended Tucking In, and Holding On, but the incident happened so very, very fast, that instinct took over from my Cycling Days. No injuries to me, and no damage to my Burgy..... THAT Day! I think my Size 14-W Boots had something to do with that as well!

At that time, I always rode with a Helmet, Armored Jacket, Padded Gloves, Draggin' Jeans, and Boots. Luckily..... THAT day I didn't need to test out their intended purpose!

Always at the very least, wear a Helmet! The rest of your Body Parts may literally be in your hands, if you choose to skimp on Proper Protective Clothing while Riding.

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"
Terr Bear

Post by Terr Bear »

The Blur is very strong. I had the misfourtune of dropping my Blur last weekend. Took a turn into a parking lot and slipped on gravel and down I went. The boards kept my legs from being hurt. I did have on full armor and full face helmet. I landed on the front part of my helmet, but the full face helmet saved my face. So I did not get any uglier! :)

The Scooter has some minor scrapes on the right side. Nothing broke. I was very impressed.

As for me, a sore arm and hand. New helmet is on order.
"When your racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve Mc Queen "Le Mans"
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Ah, yes. Not sure if you're a native, Terr Bear, but the first month of Spring is very hazardous around here for 2 wheelers especially.

Gravel, salt slicks, and if it goes too long without precipitation, major oils on the roads after the first one. Since CO loathes to repave roads until they're shot, a lot of soft tar and 'fill in' asphalt too!

Glad you weren't hurt, hope you can come do some rides with us at some point.
Terr Bear

Post by Terr Bear »

Colorado Native. Yea, the roads areound here pretty much suck this time of year. Just the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am going to try to go on the ride on the 16th. If I can find something green! :)
"When your racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve Mc Queen "Le Mans"